“Loud Frat Party? Whatever,Whenever”
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

W Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #104 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Park City, Utah
“Loud Frat Party? Whatever,Whenever”
Reviewed September 24, 2010

I'm not a big fan of the ultra-hip decor and the amount of stuff for sale in the room made me feel like I would be sleeping in a boutique but my real beef with this hotel is lack of sleep. Surrounded by all-night partiers carousing Friday and Saturday night; front desk was thoroughly uninterested in harshing their mellow. Food remnants and drinks splashed about the hall in the AM added to the Animal House vibe. To add insult to injury my key card failed to function once I was in the elevator. I was trapped until another guest got in and accessed the ground floor. Another tip- don't mount the flat screen on the wall to the side of the bed.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
St. Louis
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I have stayed at this property many times when it was a Sheraton before the 'W' remodel. What on earth were they thinking?

This property use to be a warm, inviting, comfortable place to stay while in Midtown with sleigh back beds, wood furniture and beautiful views of downtown Atlanta through floor to ceiling windows. This is not the case after the remodel, the view is still there but the rooms are far from inviting.

When checking in after the remodel I was asked by the receptionist how I liked the remodel which I replied that I did not. Oh, so you don't like the contemporary look he asked. I love contemporary, the clean lines, the open space, the bright colors but this is not it. This place now looks like a cave with concrete floors, it is dark, cheap, cold and uninviting. The lobby looks more like a nightclub. Opps, there went my hospitality right out the window.

This property is in a great location, plenty of places to get a bite to eat within walking distance as well as Piedmont Park and the Botanical Gardens. There is attached parking that is very easy to access. Public transit in Midtown is not that great. It is a trendy, diverse section of Atlanta which I love.

Just look for the black eyesore as your coming down Peachtree at 12th and your there.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DGregory1
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 8, 2010

The Doorman had a very bright smile on his face and I felt welcome the second I walked through the door. Every time I left the hotel I rarely had to wait more than a minute for a taxi, and I was given great recommendations for establishments to eat and drink at. Michael was very attentive to guests entering and leaving the hotel and even remembered me the next day. I had drinks at the W lounge and Lindsay was great at making them and had a fun personality.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 27, 2010

I spent one night at this hotel which is just a couple of blocks from my firm's office. Although this property looks to be an older W hotel, I was happy with the location, service and room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I booked this for a birthday trip for my husband. The lobby had a good vibe, but once in the room I was sadly disappointed. The room was musty, the carpet was dirty, the snacks in the mini bar were stale and contained condems and lubricant! There is a club in the hotel so, if you are looking to party and hook up this may be the place for you!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed August 23, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at the W Atlanta Midtown for our wedding anniversary. Being locals of the Atlanta suburbs, we knew what spot in Atlanta we wanted to be in: A) Close to Virginia Highlands B) Right by Piedmont Park. W Midtown was situated perfectly.

Best Points of W Atlanta Midtown:
-High style and beautiful design throughout (check out amazing water elements in front).
-Rooms are elegant, and very, very quiet (could not hear a sound outside our room, despite hotel being completely full and active).
-We were comped 2 appetizers and cocktails upon check in (yes!).
-Parking and valet right at the door (our package included free parking, too).
-Walking distance to Piedmont Park, as well as dining and shopping in midtown (Flying Biscuit for breakfast or Willy's Burritos for lunch only a 5 minute walk!)
-Close proximity to VA Highlands (just cabbed it over for a night of dining and live music).
-Service and food and Spice Market was exceptional, decor was incredible.
-Service upon check in was very good.

Just one downside:
-Staff was light the next morning, so we had to wait a bit for check out and valet.

My husband and I agreed: same spot, same time, next year. W Atlanta Midtown is a wonderful escape!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 22, 2010

The W Midtown has it all. GREAT location. Great Rooms and those beds...

But the main reason I feel compelled to write is because of the service I received at The Spice Market restaurant in the hotel. The server was absolutely spotless. His name is Roy Dwiggins and he provided the PERFECT solo dining experience I've had in a long time.

First, he knew I was solo and made a number of efforts to "chat" with me without being a cling-on. Great small talk and then he'd leave. Come back, do some more if he could tell i wanted it, and then leave again. That's a skill all in itself.

He didn't push expensive plates, but let me know what he thought had the best value (some of the expensive plates DID have more value). Same with the drinks...I only had one and I never felt under siege to drink more.

My plates were cleared as I went along (I did a sampler/tasting menu that was alot of work for him) and he'd appear from nowhere to refill my water (some of that food is HOT!). He'd chat for a few seconds and leave again. He was an excellent server...and this is coming from someone who's "diamond" or "elite" with too many hotel chains and airlines.

I'm not related to Roy and will probably never see him again. But he made such an impression on me that 1 week later I've taken the time to compliment him. The restaurant...and in particular my server...was excellent!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business