“Rock solid W experience but some services are lacking”
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

W Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #106 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We decided to go down to Atlanta for a w'end getaway and picked this location due to its central location and previous positive reviews. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk from the local subway station which makes it super convenient to get to most landmarks and key destinations including the airport. And for those trips not near a subway stop they offer a very handy free car service sponsored by the car manufacturer (Acura?) which will drop you off anywhere within a 5 mile radius as long as you book in advance. We utilized this several times throughout our stay and it's also a great way to get local info from the courteous drivers.

The lobby is stylishly form and function with some great love chairs to rest after a long day of exploring. Along with an outside lounging area perfect for warming up in the morning. While we didn't eat at Spice Market on site we did have drinks at the lounge which were well crafted and delicious (don't miss the complimentary drink offer that comes with each room key).

Our room was clean and exactly what you'd expect from a W. But I would recommend asking for a higher floor and facing the park as our room was neither and the view was of the condo next door and indoor mall adjacent. Only minor complaint about the room was the flat panel HDTV which didn't receive HD channels. This is an easy thing to set up but many hotels just don't bother thinking most people are impressed just having a flat panel TV in their room and don't notice they're not actually watching HD programming. Again a very minor thing but a pet peeve.

This brings me to my other complaints: room service and concierge. After a late night out we ordered room service consisting of a grilled cheese, fries and side. Food arrived in a decent amount of time but it had to be one of the worst sandwiches I've ever had and certainly not worth the $23 it ended up being! I expect more from this kind of hotel.

My other complaint was with their concierge service which seemed to be inconsistently offered and not all that helpful with very basic info. When they were on-site, they were very friendly but when I asked for a local subway map, they didn't carry them. Then they didn't have a map of town! Huh?! Finally, when one of the days turned rainy we asked for local suggestions and the response was 'I wouldn't go out today, it's terrible weather.' Not exactly the suggestion we were looking for.

Overall, a rock solid W hotel experience in a prime location close to Piedmont Park and midtown restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,456)

Reviewed April 17, 2009

had always wanted to stay in a W and got my chance on my wedding night. arrived about 11pm to a huge club scene. it was a bit chaotic but my husband had already checked in and we went straight to our room. room was nice. rose petals on the bed which we had not requested. fun surprise. bed was super confortable. also has some special promotion so we got a some free bliss stuff. they also delivered a gift basket that my maid of honor had accidently delivered to the W across town. great customer service but expensive. would like to try other W's in the future.

my only complaint is that we awoke in the middle of the night to our neighbors have a really good (loud) time. if you know what i'm saying. we were the newly weds for goodness sake. haha.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I stayed at the W hotel Midtown April 11th and 12th. When I entered my room, I checked the sheets and they were stained. I called the hotel desk and someone came to change the sheets. I dont know if she was tired or what but her service was AWFUL! She questioned me about the sheets and then changed them to other dirty sheets. This caused me to check the whole bed and I realized that the pillows and comforter were dirty also. I usually do not write reviews but my experience was one of my worst and I travel often. The spa did not offer all of the services listed on their website so we had to end up going to another spa for service.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 19, 2009

Stayed at the W Atlanta Midtown for one night while on business because it was very close to my meeting in the morning. The front desk person upgraded me to a larger room w/o me having to ask bc the hotel wasn't full. The room was nice -- very stylish and clean, but it is really not set up for a business traveler who flies in at 10 pm, still needs to put in a few hours of work, and check out in the morning. While the hidden light switches and cool looking shower made for a great decor, it's annoying to have to figure out the lights/shower when there's work to be done. It's kind of a rip off for business travelers as they charge for everything -- from in-room internet to receiving a fax. The after hours room service menu is fairly limited, though the breakfast menu is great though pretty expensive. The front desk person in the morning was great and helped me out with holding bags, getting a cab to the airport, and even giving me free wireless access in the afternoon though I had already checked out. A good hotel -- definitely recommend it if you aren't planning a trip that involves working the whole time.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2009

I can only speak on the restaurant food, service ambiance. All were Excellent.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2009

I didn't read any of the other reviews so you can compare and see if my experience matches any other people's. I went with a girlfriend of mine. She can deal with 2 star hotels; I, on the other hand, am partial to 4 star and above. This W did not impress her, and it did not gross me out, so I'd say it was average. We really liked the location. A short walk outside takes you to Shout. The screaming neon sign said strip club to me, but surprisingly, it's on the border of elegant on the inside. It was referred to us b/c we wanted to eat sushi but did not have a car. The sushi was good there, the drinks were decent and it had a clubbish atmosphere upstairs. Afterwards we walked another short distance over to Opera, a dance club. You can get free passes from the W Whatever Whenever desk...do so or it's $20 pp to get in. It's the usual crazy packed dance club with highpriced balconies, cool lights and sound, and cooling air that intermittently comes from above to refresh sweaty bodies. It's definitely a good time if you are in the party dancing mood.
I would skip the Bliss spa in this W. This was my first Bliss experience though I've been to many spas. I was so excited, but this visit was below average. The staff is young and appears unknowing at times. They were nice, but we were told, once we arrived early to use the steam room/sauna before our treatments, that b/c a large group was coming in later on, there were no lockers available for us. We didn't know what to do with our clothes and valuables and finally one of the staff suggested we just come down with our robes on. It's too small of a spa. When the large group of 8 ladies came in about an hour later, it was crowded mayhem. One of the steam showers was broken, so I couldn't shower before my manicure after I had sweated in the sauna. Not a good feeling. I could keep going with more complaints, but just know that the spa can be skipped.
Whoever answers the Whatever, Whenever desk needs some training. She answers calls with "What is your wish for today?" Very nice until you get told no to every little 'wish' you ask about. It was to the point that my friend and I were joking that they actually mean, "Whatever!" when you call. I'm pretty laidback, so it didn't bother me too too much, but if you're looking for your wishes to come through, be forewarned. You're better off rubbing a genie bottle.
The hotel staff were all very nice and helpful. We joked around with almost all of them even laughing about how none of my Gold Member status benefits were met. So just expect this hotel to be very inconsistent in delivery but enjoy the attempt at good hospitality, and you'll be fine. The rooms are clean and decent enough to sleep in.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank CCSunshine007
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Nice W decoration, service is good and location is 5 min walk to MARTA station. Recommendable for business travel with business at midtown.
Close to a small mall with food court.
Spetacular Room Type is fine except for the curtains as "closet", colors are nice and relaxing.
Spice Market restaurant is great. If roomservice, try the Ginger Rice.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business