“Average Hotel but Good Service”
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

W Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #115 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have not stayed at a W hotel previously and though I found the bed comfortable and the bathroom modern that is about all I can say in favour of the room. The rest of the Very dark furniture was dated and well worn. The lack of a coffee maker was a definite negative. Arriving around 8pm, reception was drowned by a cacophony of noise from 'disco' style music that continued all the way up to my room as you cannot escape it even in the elevator.
On the plus side, I found the staff helpful and friendly.
Sadly, I have no choice but to return as this is a corporate hotel. However, if returning to Atlanta for pleasure, I will definitely be looking elsewhere for accommodation.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Hello DavidH1959.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do hate to hear your experience in your room was not up to both of our expectations. We would love for you to reach out to us upon your next business trip so we can make your stay more enjoyable. (i.e. we can get you a coffee maker in your room, move you to a higher floor and away from the elevator, etc). GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com
We look forward to hearing from you.
W Atlanta-Midtown

Write a ReviewReviews (1,482)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Now aging TACKY worn contemporary, Veneers peeling, chipped. Slow internet service even when paying for upgrade (I benchmarked it at a third of what they claimed). Service was mixed with some truly great service and some truly bad service. There is no coffee service in the room. There is service in the lobby, but not kept full, so expect to wait when both carafes are dry. No "usable" clock in the room, They go over the top covering every spare surface and the mini fridge with crazy expensive liquor and candy. They got pretty rude when I asked it be removed from the room (Room service prank?, it had not gone off the previous night). That next night the alarm clock had been set to go off at 2:00 in the morning. I said there is no usable clock in the room because it has no night light, has a tiny little face and is difficult to operate. I pulled the battery and left it off for the stay after that.

Room Tip: There is a Marriott Suites and a Renaissance nearby that I recommend.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank K F
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Hello KF.
We feel terrible about the experience you had during your recent stay with us and would love to speak with you personally. Please email us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com so we can assist you and make this right. We look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Once I had arrived in my tattily furnished room I just wanted to switch off the lights and get to bed. Unfortunately this involved hunting down about 5 light switches secreted around the room. When I returned from the gym the elevator couldn't be called from that level for some reason. I told a member of staff and they may as well have said 'whatever' to my face.
The styling of the hotel seems to be trying very hard but scratch the already scratched surface and this is a very average hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank aeroscotia

Hello aeroscotia.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We were certainly disappointed to hear you had such an unpleasant experience. Your comments and feedback have been shared with the hotel team. We would love to have an opportunity to earn your confidence back on a future visit. Please let us know if that is something you would have interest in doing. You can reach us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com. We hope to hear from you.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

W Hotels are known for trendy design and experiences that stimulate the senses. This hotel was no different in that respect. However, the details are where the experience fell far short of my expectations.

To be fair, I must mention that this hotel was selected due to its proximity to my office. My employer wanted to ensure ease of commute with the winter storm that Atlanta experienced. Consequently, I was given a room at the W Midtown upon my request.

Upon arriving, the valet asked if I wanted to park my vehicle. I declined, and he ignored me for the remainder of my stay - almost as if he were personally snubbed. Entering the hotel, a light techno theme was playing in the lobby. The lighting was conducive to the overall atmosphere, emulating water on the nearby wall and ceiling (where effects were being projected). The staff seemed friendly, upgrading my room with ease.

My room was decorated in a modern, chic fashion - with touches that were eclectic and cutting-edge. However, the furniture showed some signs of wear. The end-tables on either side of the bed were painted black, but desperately needed touching-up. The fixtures (lamps, accessories) were in sore need of attention - fingerprints and dust were plentiful. The bathroom was certainly spa-inspired, and very nice. The shower was a relaxing cascade of water, enhanced by the high-quality complimentary toiletries.

The bar in the "Living Room" was well-decorated and had some unique, if not hidden touches. Staff were talkative and friendly. Drinks were priced at a premium, but the atmosphere was worth the price.

Unfortunately, checkout was another unpleasant experience. When I headed down to the lobby at 5:30 AM, nobody was in sight. I waited for around 15 minutes before an attendant arrived. She made no apologies, instead blaming her absence on "assisting a customer with luggage". I'm not sure why a front desk clerk would perform that sort of labor. The details of my billing were incorrect, as my personal credit card was charged instead of my business credit card. She insisted that there was nothing she could do. She made no offer to have a manager contact me, and instead handed me a business card. Regretfully, even after talking to this individual the same afternoon, (and filling out an online credit card form he asked me to submit) nothing was ever corrected. I was forced to file a lengthy expense report with my employer.

My overall impression is that this hotel has potential. The staff needs to be addressed, and some housekeeping needs attention. This is the W - it should exceed expectations, not fall short of them!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Spectacular room for breathtaking views of the Atlanta skyline!
2  Thank boltonski

Hello boltonski.
I appreciate you taking the time to send your review. However, I hate to hear your stay was one not up to both of our expectations. When you have a moment, would you please email me so we can discuss your checkout , confirm you have been taken care of in that area and make this right for you? GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com. Thank you again for your review; I hope to speak with you soon.
Lukus Kindlesparker, Hotel Manager
W Atlanta - Midtown

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I am SPG gold and stayed here for a work trip. I found the service ranged from apathetic to exceptional. I found some people were just so bothered by any questions or requests.
My first night was in a room that looked good enough, albeit typical cheesy W decor. The pipes in the wall were loud and clanky - it was very annoying - throughout the night. I called down and was told an engineer would be up. An hour later, no engineer, so I called back and was told they were trying to find a new room. Some time later a manager calls me to tell me there are no more rooms. Ironically on the nightstand there was a little card telling you how much they value beauty sleep and that there are white noise aps and let them know how they can help you sleep better. I actually googled the room number and found a review talking about the pipes (a little redemption to know I wasn't crazy)

Next day I got a call that they would put me in a suite. Reginald personally assured me that all of my stuff would be moved for me. He was true to his word, and he is on the exceptional side of the service. Vanessa got me the suite and I had spoken to her a number of times regarding upgrades and other things - she seemed to genuinely care about hotel guests and always made an effort. She is also on the exceptional side of service. Note to management - have Reginald and Vanessa run a training class on hospitality and customer service.

Suite was great. The negative is it was close to the elevator bank and those elevators were very audible. Much less so than the pipes, but just be mindful that your room is not close to the banks if you are a light sleeper. The floor to ceiling windows on the high floor left me with a beautiful view.

I've seen other reviews talk about the wearing of the rooms - I noticed that with the robes, they were pretty ratty. I don't think there was turn down service at night (maybe if requested?). There is a hotel car. The gym was just ok, as expected with W hotels. I managed, but it wasn't as good as the Four Seasons. Maybe its a W thing, but I think in this day and age, high end hotels should invest a little in their fitness centers. There was water and free coffee in the morning by the bar which is nice.

Spice market - sort of not included in the rating, but follows the theme of my overall experience. I picked up dinner and it was ok at best. I picked up breakfast and it was really good.

Great location. I think I would stay here again for business, but I don't think it would be my first choice, even with my spg status. It is just so inconsistent on so many levels. Some real high marks and some then some lower ones. I believe for an upscale or higher end hotel to get high markets, it has to consistently deliver a high quality product and high quality service.

Room Tip: lower numbered rooms "xx03, xx04" are close to the elevator bank and can be loud.
3  Thank adambr14

Hello adambr14.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and informative review. Obviously, we are extremely disappointed to hear about some of your experiences during your stay. Your comments and feedback have been shared with the hotel team. We would love to have an opportunity to earn your confidence back on a future visit. Please let us know if that is something you would have interest in doing. You can reach us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com. We hope to hear from you.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed at the W Atlanta Midtown for a conference recently and wanted to share my impressions. This hotel is a typical W, aimed at the young sophisticated traveler who is highly connected electronically, and wants lots of readily accessible amenities. My room was very comfortable, with a very modern bathroom and built-in furnishings. Staff were very helpful and accomodating (they even called my cellphone when my room was ready as I checked in very early). This hotel is very well appointed with relaxation opportunities--a beautiful bar, a Bliss Spa downstairs, and a branch of Jean Georges Vongerichten's Spice Market chain. Location is in Midtown, a modern area of Atlanta close to several sights. The only quibbles were that there were several minor issues in the bathroom (leaky shower, and a sink faucet that emitted a loud groan when the water was turned on more than a moderate flow), and some hardware missing from the furniture. Had the management been pre-emptively attentive to these issues, I would have rated this hotel more highly. Little details matter!

Hello FredRo1948.
Thank you for taking the time to write us a very nice review. We agree little details do matter and your comments and feedback have been shared with the hotel team. We do hope you will give us a chance to be more of a "hit" on those details the next time you visit. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I never write reviews but felt compelled by toe people who went above and beyond to ensure I had a good stay. Leon McGhee and Najah Moss were so gracious and kind. I was in the middle of a hectic and stressful travel week and ordered a late meal from room service. They both went out if their way to make sure I was taken care of beyond my expectations and it went a long way to make my trip a lot better. Hats off it them both!

• Stayed: December 2013

Hello GvilleMT.
Thank you for the feedback. Glad to hear your stressful week got a little better with us. And we LOVE Leon and Najah. They both embody W spirit. Hope to see you again soon.