“Sleek Chic and a staff that can't be beat!”
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

W Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #100 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
“Sleek Chic and a staff that can't be beat!”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Urban chic meets southern hospitality ,,, great location , sleek rooms and suites , clean , well appointed and maintained . all the staff from management , valet services , concierge , house keeping and of course the amazing front desk staff (Brittany ) make you feel like you're a member of a private club...VIP I' travel all over the world for business and pleasure and the staff here certainly is up there at the top of my list !

Room Tip: Suites are fab
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hello JayyJayy13.
Thank you for the awesome feedback! We are so thrilled you had a great experience at our hotel and look forward to having you stay with us again. And PS- we love our team here too and think Brittany is amazing!

All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Let me start by saying the service, staff, and cleanliness of your hotel was fantastic. I found everyone to be helpful and polite and the building was fantastic. I also want to point out an employee that went above and beyond the line of duty. I needed an extra room and Brittany Anarews, the employee I am speaking about, is not only what I expected from a W staff member, but actually went beyond that! She not only got me an an-joining room, but also helped me on the price of the room since I was taking care of family! I enjoyed my stay overall, though please know that this is a W and in the middle of a downtown, so everything is going to be more expensive than your normal hotels!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hello TFenix.
Thank you for the awesome feedback! We love our team here and our glad you enjoyed them as well-especially Brittany. Look forward to seeing you again soon.
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The W Hotel Midtown is the leftover of a bygone area where W Hotels were the hip and trendy places to be and had the service, prestige, and atmosphere to boot. Unfortunately, time has not been kind to the W Hotel Midtown, and now, like a washed up rock band, it’s gone from playing the big shows to playing at the local county fair.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with what can be described as pure chaos. The driveway has not rhyme or reason to how vehicles come and go. With valets everywhere, it doesn’t seem like any of them know which way is up and they aren’t overly helpful. After a stressful drive up process, we went to check in. With three podiums, each with two positions, it is a weird experience, with no set queue pattern. Check-in was fairly efficient and got us to our two room suite (Fabulous, as termed by the W…more on the nomenclature in a moment). The lobby look tired, like a cruise ship that hadn’t been kept up in quite some time. A feeling of filth, damage, and just general malaise was hanging above us at all times.

In getting to our room, the suite seemed fine at first glance. Then came a closer look at how the W does the oddest things to try to be hip and trendy, always putting form over function. Would most people enjoy a shower with a full view glass window into the bedding area? What about a toilet with jet-flush complete out of your favorite airport restroom. What about no divider between the shower and the rest of the bathroom? As usual, flat black paint was used in excess in areas where you probably want light, such as bathroom mirror areas and other areas to get ready.

The mattress was horrific on our first night and upon further inspection, was a disgusting mess of stains. Pictures are available of the yellow (and worse) stains that were on about ½ of the mattress under the topper. Why some sort of protective mattress pad wasn’t in place was anyone’s guess. We notified the desk where we talked to the front desk clerk, then the room coordinator, then the “talent scout” and were told that we would be moved or the mattress would be replaced. We were also told that there would be SPG points deposited into our account (which hasn’t happened yet) for the inconvenience.

Whatever, whenever actually refers more to the responsiveness of the staff and valets. They would get to your request whenever they felt like it. Our valet request was forgotten, leading to a 20 minute for our vehicle which, with all of the staff waiting around was not a great experience.

The hotel shuttle service with its branded Acura sedans were a joke. There were 10 valets outside, but since they are an outside service, they can’t drive the shuttle. That was assigned to the invisible shuttle driver who was never around or available or could be found by anyone….ever. We did see him and use the shuttle once after a 25 minute wait, not waiting for the car to return, but to find the driver somewhere. Advice- the shuttle driver is like bigfoot…if you seen him, chase him down, as you may never see him again.

Room service was prompt, but the food quality was poor. Not even passable. The only thing that was somewhat good was a mixed salad. The grilled cheese was an oven baked horrible mess. The loaded tater tots were tater tots with nacho cheese sauce drizzled on a few of them along with a smattering of bacon bits and a few chives (two). Not good. Prices were not great to boot, adding insult to injury.

Food in the Spice Market for a Sunday brunch was barely passable. You could tell that all items came from the same griddle, when normally white eggs showed up with burnt brown grease on them. Other items were overdone, underdone, or just tasted really bad. We should have known that an empty restaurant was a sign of something.

I think the comment made by the front desk clerk as we checked out sums up our whole experience. “Me: I would like to check out…Front Desk “Talent”: Was the e-mailed folio correct?...Me: Yes it was…Front Desk “Talent”: Amazing…have a good day. It would seem that the staff has little faith in the W as well.

Overall, it was tired and thought it was more than it was , unfriendly, and full of the overdone and old W nomenclature. Wet Deck=Old Pool. Talent=Staff. Lift=Elevator. Wheels=Valet. WC=Water Closet. I will tell you what, this isn’t Disney, and all of the at-one-time clever terms can’t cover up the fact that this W gets an D in my book.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brian M
Hello BrianM.
Thank you for your review -- I sincerely apologize for the negative experiences you encountered. We pride ourselves on exceeding every guests expectations and I regret that we failed with you. When you have a moment, would you please email me so we can discuss your stay and make it right. GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com. Thank you again for your review. I hope to speak with you soon.
Beth Thomas
General Manager, W Atlanta - Midtown
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

My friends & I stayed at the W Midtown only one night before a concert. We used points to redeem the room & felt like we knew exactly what we were getting since we often stay at W properties in other cities. I have to say this was the worst W in which I've ever stayed.

The W Midtown is clearly showing its age. I felt like W acquired the property then just slapped a coat of flat black paint on everything & opened up. I've come to expect pristine accommodations from the W and this hotel seemed dirty and dingy. Typically the energy in a W hotel is up tempo and contemporary. Is hotel felt more like a slightly more dressed up Sheraton.

The staff was less than professional. When asking the concierge for restaurant recommendations he did little more than hand us the preprinted sheet & send us on our merry way.

It was extremely difficult to get a cab anywhere and the staff did little to help the situation. In fact, the highly touted shuttle service seemed reserved only for people that knew the concierge. Don't build up the shuttle as a big bonus if its not even available.

This W location was borderline depressing. It's like you're seeing the first cracks in a sinking ship. Are all of the W properties suffering like this or is this unique to the Atlanta Midtown location? I prefer the W, but in the future I'd rather just stay at a Hampton Inn! It would be cleaner and cheaper.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hello KatieB.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are sorry to hear we did not execute with distinction during your visit. We would love to speak with you directly and try and rectify our shortcomings. Please email us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com. We look forward to personally working with you.
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Recently had a few business stays at this hotel. I enjoyed this property much more than the W Buckhead.

Good gym, friendly staff.

The only problem we (myself and my colleagues) encountered was that housekeeping entered the room even if you selected the Make It Green option. I scatter my clothing throughout the room and over the bed when I select this option and did not anticipate housekeeping to enter the room. Seemed odd.

Tip: Park at the parking lot across the street. It is $7 a night. Parking on the attached lot is $27 a night (yet only $16 if you lose the parking ticket) and the valet is $32.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Helloh CWGators.
Thank you for taking the time to send us a nice review. We are so sorry you had the experience with Style entering your room after you made the green choice. We have shared this feedback with our team and we do apologize. And we know parking can be a nightmare in Atlanta. We do pride ourselves in being comparable or even lower in pricing to other hotels in the area. Thank you again for your feedback.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed for two nights during a very busy event weekend. We expected a wait for our room but they were ready when promised at 3PM. The front desk service was excellent. We decided to people watch at the lobby bar, the "Living Room", while we waited for our room. The bartender there also took great care of us. The room was excellent and the expected quality level for for a W. I would recommend this hotel for it's style and the location. There are tons of great restaurants and activities within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a better view than that of the roof of the attached shopping center.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello CricketW44.
Thank you for the awesome feedback! We love our team here and our glad you enjoyed them as well. Look forward to seeing you soon! All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Full disclosure - the "W" hotel style is just not my taste, and I stayed here for a business trip. I'm trying to not let that sway me (others have captured it in their reviews), but I had enough other issues to warrant the lower grade.

PROs
- great location
- nice fitness center
- friendly and polite staff

CONs
- very pricey (mini-bar, room service, drinks at bar, overall room charge)
- bathroom is too small
- sliding door wouldn't stay in place (open or closed)
- no shower door design = sprayed water into the rest of the bathroom

I don't mind paying higher prices for higher levels of service (Ritz Carlton, etc.) on special occasions, and I know it's Buckhead, but I just can't justify the prices they're charging (and I had a corporate rate?!).

There are too many places in that area and the "value" is at other places. I won't go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Berentski
Hello Berentski.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review on W Atlanta-Midtown. Of course we would love to see all Pros but do appreciate the Cons as we are always trying to make our guest experiences even better. I would love to earn your business again so when considering your next visit to Atlanta (for personal or business) please email me directly so that we can do so. GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com. Thank you again for your review.