“This was the absolute worst”
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

W Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #103 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Cartersville, Georgia
“This was the absolute worst”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed at the W hotel with my partner and a group of friends and we all hated it. It is a hotel which thinks it is a hip, trendy hotel but in reality it is a dirty, loud, rude, expensive, tacky experience. My room looked more like a convience store with all the stuff sitting around for me to hopefully purchase. Parking is a rip-off, The food at the hotel is way too expensive and bland. My shower had broken tiles missing and leaked all over the bathroom, I found drugs on my bedroom floor, Housekeeping took something personal of mine by accident, and after waiting 35 minutes in the lobby to get it back, management did not even apologise for it. The music was so loud in the lobby at night that I could feel it in my bedroom up on the 6th floor. The staff is poorly managed, and looking to get every tip out of you, for nothing. Trust me, there are too many other places to stay that are much nicer and more affordable.

Room Tip: A cardboard box on the interstate would be a better option
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ray W
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Hello RayW.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and informative review. Obviously, we are extremely dissapointed and concerned to hear your stay with us went this way. We would love to respond to you personally in the hopes of rectifying your experience. Please email us directly at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com so we can address this immediately. We hope to hear from you.
All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed at the W MIdtown for 2 nights for a conference. My room was very nice with the wonderful Westin bedding. Small but nice bathroom with good products. Did not see a shower cap.

The location is great, a few blocks from the subway station and in a very nice looking area. A park close by, restaurants, Starbucks.

The food was pretty good and people were very very friendly. Starlet in the Spice Market stood out, as did the concierge Bryan, who went way and beyond. Thanks for helping print my boarding pass so quickly.

Only think I can fault them for is WIFI. You get it for free for basic service but have to keep logging on and it's a weak connection. For a conference, they did not have enough juice for sure. For hours, many people could not get on, and when the conference was in full swing and the hotel full, I could not even get on WIFI in my room. That is bad bad bad.

Overall, I recommend it, if they fix the Internet issues.

Room Tip: I was right next to the elevator. Don't get that room; beep, beep, beep...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Hello PrincessVonTrapp_7.
Thank you for your comments. We are thrilled you enjoyed our hotel. W Atlanta-Midtown is very proud of our team and we will certainly share this with them. And also thank you for the details on the WIFI- we are looking into that as well. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Atlanta. All the best. W Atlanta-Midtown
Jacksonville
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I decided to give the W chain another chance after staying in Another last year. First in their attempt to be cool and of the moment these hotels are neither.
The design is a dark dated mess and it is starting to show wear and tear since all the dark surfaces magnify the dents and dings from use
Now let me address the primary issue the whole facility is dark dark dark
I always feel like I check into a black hole when I stay at these hotels
The bed linens are comfortable but the platform bed necessitates that the bed be made up weird and wacky
These hotels are so over designed that it gets in the way of a pleasant stay

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank samjacobson
Hello SamJacobson.
I appreciate you taking the time to send your review. However, I hate to hear your stay was once again not up to your expectation. When considering your next visit to Atlanta (for personal or business) please email me directly so that we can make this right for you. GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com. Thank you again for your review.

Travelers are raving about these Atlanta hotels

Birmingham, Alabama, United States
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Have stayed at several W's including The W in Downtown Atlanta, and in my opinion, this location was sub-par to what you get for the price. The room was booked with points, or I would not have stayed there this trip as the going rate for The W as about $340 compared to The Marriott Marquis that was $179. I promise you I did not enjoy myself double as much staying at The W.

My issues were the following:

1. Concierge was not very helpful even though we gave him a lot to work with. He basically just handed us a pre-printed list of nearby restaurants. When we showed up to the (smallish) restaurant they inquired whether or not we had a reservation, we did not because he failed to mention we would need one. They were somewhat disdainful that we did not have a reservation and that irritated me because the place was completely empty.

2. The Acura Experience car service. We inquired about said car taking us to our restaurant and were told that it would be back in five minutes and that we were next in line. After waiting 10 mins or so a car pulled up and some other people got in? We questioned it and were told that was the Acura from the downtown W taking guests back there. After about 20 more mins another Acura pulled up (right after we had said just get us a taxi) and they ignored us and put in this girl in that the concierge personally walked out and whispered into the car peep's ear about. My friends think she was a hooker - but regardless, we were slighted on car service.

3. The much touted Whiskey Par, which would be a huge benefit of staying at The W, WAS CLOSED ON THURSDAY NIGHT AT 11:00 when we got back from our concert. Come to find out it is ONLY OPEN on Friday and Saturday nights.

4. Our room - We finally decided we were given a handicap room, which explains a lot about the room, but makes no sense as we are not handicapped. As such the bathroom was not very useful. The floor was all on level plane with 2 drains - like you might find in a high school locker room. The only thing that delineated the shower was a flimsy curtain. So water got EVERYWHERE. The contraption that was supposed to be the shower head was so awkward to use and became even more so when it completely fell off the wall on me. I will say that the management was very apologetic when we reported this and credited my account back with 4000 points.

Also there was one small mirror in the bathroom, and a "tiny burst" of decorative mirrors in the actual room. Not helpful when you have multiple females getting ready.

The hotel itself seems to be showing its wear. It does still maintain that cool, hip, minimalist vibe, so if that's what you want and you have money to spend, go for it - otherwise I would stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a handicap room unless you NEED a handicap room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Karly F.
Thank you for your honest feedback. We feel terrible about your stay and would love to speak with you personally. Please email us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com so we can personally assist you. We look forward to hearing from you. All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown
Culver City, California
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed here on business for almost a month. the hotel, although not really set up for long term stays, was totally fun. and the staff very friendly. but the best part was meeting greg in security. I had packed up and arrived back in los angeles when I realized I had left my mother's vintage sweater behind. I was devastated and assumed I would never see the sweater again. but when I called the front desk they understood my stress and transferred me to security. and greg in security made me feel like I was his most important call of the day, or even the month! he got right on it, and called me back within 10 minutes telling me that he'd found my sweater!! thanks to the cleaning staff for being honest and thanks to greg for finding it!!!!!

Room Tip: if you're there on business ask for a room high up and in the middle of the hall, preferably on...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello Escriteur.
Thank you for the awesome feedback! We love our team here and our glad you enjoyed them as well. And most importanly we are thrilled about your mother's sweater. Look forward to seeing you soon! All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Let me start off with the positive -- the W Midtown is a modern hotel with spacious, nicely furnished guest rooms; great bath amenities from Bliss (including face wash!); and numerous bars, restaurants, and attractions within walking distance. If your plans are primarily based in the Midtown area, this hotel could be a good choice. But if you're attending a multi-day event downtown (like Dragon Con), you may want to think twice about booking this hotel -- the first couple days of our stay proved to be a comedy of errors (only it wasn't very funny at the time). If you have the patience to slog through my full review -- the good, the bad, and the ugly -- read on...

We had initially tried to book a stay at the W Atlanta Downtown for Dragon Con 2013. My husband booked online at the same time as a friend of ours; our friend's reservation went through, while my husband was informed that his reservation was not accepted as there were no more rooms at the W Downtown...so he was offered a room at the W Midtown. Since this hotel is quite a distance from the convention area, he asked if a shuttle would be provided -- and when he was assured there would be, he went ahead and booked the room. We were planning to arrive the night Dragon Con registration opened (Thursday); the reservation agent said he could only book under the Dragon Con rate code for Friday - Sunday nights, but assured my husband he would give us the lowest rate for the Thursday night stay. As a result, we ended up with two separate reservations; and my husband didn't realize until check-in that he was charged $269/night (plus taxes) for Thursday night, when the Dragon Con rate was $195/night. An extra $74/night for the same room? Not a good way to start off our stay...

Our first impressions of the hotel itself were generally positive; the lobby has a funky, modern vibe, and check-in was fairly efficient. The desk clerk assured us we would have the same room our entire stay (despite the two separate reservations); she handed us our card keys in a sleeve that was clearly marked #1606, and a bellman escorted us to our room. Unfortunately, neither of our card keys worked; so the bellman let us in with his key, helped us settle in, and promised that he would have the keys reprogrammed and sent right back up. (And indeed, a few minutes later another staffer arrived with our new keys.) We were happy with the room, which continued the hotel's modern, funky vibe -- with black and charcoal furnishings and a few small splashes of colorful patterned wallpaper. (I've posted a few pics with this review.) I liked that they had a few types of pillows on the bed -- a foam pillow and a feather/down pillow on each side. Since I'm allergic to feathers/down, it was nice to have foam pillows already in the room. As with most hotels, the minibar items were ridiculously overpriced; but in addition to the pricey bottles of "designer" water, the W thoughtfully provided a complimentary 16.9 oz. bottle of Nestle PureLife water, and replenished it daily. (A welcome touch!)

We slept well that first night...until we were awakened the next morning by another guest repeatedly rattling our door and trying to get into our room. Apparently he had been assigned to our room and given a valid key; I'm just thankful we remembered to engage the safety locks before we went to bed. (Can you imagine having a stranger walk in on you while you're asleep?!) A few minutes later, we got a call from the front desk informing us that there wasn't supposed to be anyone in this room (#1606) -- when he looked us up, he informed us that they had us down for room #1605, but said he would transfer our reservation to the correct room. (That explains why our cards didn't work the previous day; but someone should have noticed and corrected the issue when our keys were reprogrammed and sent back up.)

The next unpleasant surprise occurred when my husband went to catch the shuttle to Dragon Con -- and discovered there was no shuttle. Instead, the W offers "free" rides in an Acura (subject to availability) in return for completing a survey. And while the driver did take him downtown that first morning, he informed my husband that they do not offer pickup service and would not be providing rides to Dragon Con the rest of the weekend because of the crowds/traffic. So instead of being able to walk or take a free shuttle to the convention events, we had to purchase MARTA passes to get back and forth during the day, and pay for taxis every evening after the trains stopped running. This added significantly to our expenses and commute time, and it's definitely something to consider if you'll be attending a conference or event downtown.

That evening (Friday), after a long day at the con and a sweaty walk back from the MARTA station, my husband stopped at the desk to ask a question about the room billing. While we were there, the clerk informed us that she needed to reprogram our keys (again) since we were now under the second reservation. (Huh?) When we finally arrived back at our room -- planning to grab a quick shower before heading back out -- we discovered that housekeeping had never serviced the room (even though we had both been out since mid-morning) and all of our towels were still wet. So we went back down to the desk; the clerk asked if we just wanted towels sent up, but my husband wanted the room cleaned (considering what we were paying and all we had already been through, he felt we deserved a clean room). So we headed to the lobby bar for overpriced drinks while we waited for the room to be serviced. We checked back after 30 minutes, but housekeeping was still working on the room. By the time we finally got back into our room, we were too tired to go out -- so our Friday night was a bust.

In light of all the disappointments and frustration we had experienced -- without anything more than a cursory apology from the desk clerks -- my husband sent an email to the hotel's GM the next morning outlining our experience. To the W's credit, he received a reply that same day (a Saturday); a member of hotel management responded with an apology, and said that he would apply one night's credit to our stay (alas, it wasn't for the more expensive Thursday night) and had deposited bonus Starwood points to my husband's account. He also said he would be available that day if my husband wanted to stop by and discuss the issues in person; but as we were downtown for the con all day, he didn't have an opportunity to do so.

The rest of our stay was (thankfully) rather uneventful; there were no further intrusions into our room, and housekeeping DID service the room the next couple of days. (Our only other minor complaint was that they never replenished the soap/shampoo/shower gel until we finally left a note the 3rd morning asking them to do so -- the small bottles quickly ran out as we had been taking showers twice a day.) Checkout went smoothly, and the valet staff was able to hail us a cab with almost no wait -- so we were quickly on our way to the airport once we checked out.

Overall, we liked the hotel and probably would have been perfectly happy here if our plans were focused on the Midtown area. We recognize that the hotel's reservation agent was the one responsible for the initial miscommunication (or outright lies?) regarding the Thursday night rate and shuttle availability, so we don't blame the on-site staff for that...though it did contribute to our dissatisfaction with the hotel, and the transportation issues negatively impacted our first Dragon Con experience. I'm still not sure how the hotel assigned another guest to a room that was already occupied; that could have resulted in a serious safety and security issue, though thankfully it didn't. And while we realize that housekeeping oversights can happen in a hotel of this size, other hotels we've stayed at have checks and balances to to avoid that (I've seen supervisors checking in on each room to ensure it's been properly serviced). We do appreciate the hotel's prompt response to my husband's emailed complaint; the credit they provided helped to offset the MARTA/taxi expenses and the $74 upcharge for our Thursday night stay. All in all, I'd say this is a good hotel that could be great if they're able to learn from/improve upon negative experiences like ours and avoid similar issues in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Escriteur.
I apologize if this is a duplicate response. I responded to you last week but it doesn't seem to have gone through. Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments. We would love to speak to you in more detail as we are always looking to improve and make things better for our hotel guests. Please email us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com. We look forward to hearing from you. All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had an amazing experience here during Music Midtown. Out thought was that it would be a bit loud but it was a quiet oasis in our room. We had an amazing time and look forward to our return. Thanks again Brittany!

• Stayed September 2013
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hello FakeMrWarhol.
Thank you for the awesome feedback! We are so thrilled you had a great experience at our hotel and look forward to having you stay with us again. All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown