“Very "Modern" Decor”
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

W Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #109 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Good location, blocks from the MARTA. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Bar and Food terribly overpriced. Rooms average, but clean. Took until evening for housekeeping to catch up. Number of great restaurants within close walking - Joe's on Juniper an the Tap especially good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Hello Rodbybronze,
Thank you for the feedback. We are sorry to hear that it took that long for Style to clean your room. Next time please call down to our Whatever Whenever department so we can send someone to correct an issue like this. We hope the rest of your stay was good. Please let us know at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com if there is anything we can do.
All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Very outdated decor, dark and gloomy. Staff promises one thing and does another. I called for early check-in and they said absolutely - no problem! When I got there they said it would be another hour or so. In the meantime, another friend from our party came to check-in and they gave her a room right away. I went and asked again about it and got a room right away. At check-in, they ask you what time you will be checking out but someone still comes at 9:00 in the morning and gets you out of bed to ask what time you are checking out! If you are an SPG memeber you get some vouchers for free drinks, appetizers, etc. Some SPG memebers in our party got them and some did not. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for what they do or say and don't consult the computer to see if you have already given information...they just do whatever....very poor communication. There is very little signage in the hotel and was hard to figure out where to go. Overall, I had very high expectations and was very dissappointed It was just outdated, poor service and not clean. Dark purple carpet, black furniture, shiny silver and pink wallpaper accents do not make me think luxury hotel. Our room also smelled like stale smoke.

Room Tip: ask to look at the room first
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mumford40
WAtlantaMidtownGM, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Hello Mumford40,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We were certainly dissapointed to hear you had such an unpleasant experience. Your comments and feedback have been shared with the hotel team. As a SPG we tremendously respect your loyalty to Starwood. We would love to have an opportunity to earn your confidence back on a future visit. Please let us know if that is something you would have interest in doing. You can reach us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@WHotels.com. We hope to hear from you. All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown

Reviewed August 18, 2013

The W Midtown was our midway stop on a 10 day roadtrip. Being from Canada, our perception of Atlanta was rather negative, and we opted to spend more money for a well-known hotel. It was definitely a great choice for us to do so. The W Midtown is like any other W - trendy, upbeat, modern, and clean. The room was beautiful with an awesome bathroom, tons of mirrors (which for 3 girls sharing a room was actually quite handy), and super comfortable beds. I'm not sure why other reviews are saying their rooms were bad, because ours was perfect, as far as hotel rooms go. We had a lot of fun in the hotel bar at night time. The location was great - I can't say enough about the Midtown area - it was way beyond our expectations in terms of street cleanliness. Clearly an affluent tourist area. We were close to some cool attractions like the Margaret Mitchell House and only a short drive to the Atlanta History Centre. My only issue with Atlanta (not the hotel) is that the city is seriously lacking in taxis - give yourself extra wait time if calling a cab to the hotel. The girl we spoke with at check-in was absolutely lovely with excellent customer service skills. I wish I remembered her name (she was working in the evening on Friday Aug 2nd).

TIP #1 - PARKING COSTS $30/NIGHT. If you haven't stayed in Atlanta before beware - this caught us off guard and ended up being an extra $60 that we hadn't anticipated spending. However that does give you as many ins-and-outs as you require with the valet service. It apparently costs you more to park yourself. Just beware.

We also incurred $20 a night in taxes/occupancy fees.

TIP #2 - from my own experience, and from speaking with others who have stayed at W's in other cities - watch the charges on your folio. I guess the shelving/bar unit/mini fridges have weight sensors on them, and if you move anything it triggers the computer system to bill your room for that item. We moved all of the liquor out of the frige and moved the food on the shelves to make room for our stuff, and we were billed for a candy bar and one of the beverages ($30 total). A quick email to the hotel cleared that up though, as it was an honest mistake. Just be wary of it if you stay at a W.

In all, great hotel, great area, good service!

Room Tip: Standard room is a King, which we had booked intentionally to share, but we just asked if there were...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Sunshine dmg,
Thank you for your review. We were happy to hear your experience at the hotel was a good one! Parking prices in the city can certainly be surprising but we take pride knowing ours is cheaper than other hotels. That being said, you are correct it is cheaper than parking in the attached parking deck and much more easy to get in and out privileges. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Atlanta. All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown

Reviewed August 11, 2013

All in all its not a bad hotel. I travel for business so I'm used to a bit of service in hotels. The service provided at what seems to all W hotels worldwide now is party central. What made me think this is a party hotel? Perhaps the marijuana smell in the halls, the cops breaking up fights out front and the scantily clad drunk girls looking for fun. Granted it was on a Saturday but still... Needing to show the cops your room key to even get near the premises is, well, bad.

Overall the rooms are average. Not very good. Beds are comfortable and there are nice views. The internet is a bit on on the slow end but it works. There are good restaurants around the hotel and I suggest you get out and find them, staying away from the party that is the W.

Summary: go here for a party and a good time. Dont go with kids or if you are on business.

Room Tip: away from elevators.
3  Thank AgileDude
WAtlantaMidtownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Hello AgileTraveler,
Thank you for your review -- We sincerely apologize for the negative experiences you encountered; we pride ourselves on exceeding every guests expectations and we regret that we failed with you. When you have a moment, would you please email us so we can discuss your stay and make it right: GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com. We hope to speak with you soon.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I considered W-brand to be luxury, at least before I stayed at W Atlanta Midtown. The lobby, pool and general surroundings are fancy, but the room itself is worn down. Old walls covered with silver, broken furniture and bed full of sticky feathers.
No breakfast buffet (at least on Sunday).

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less street noice (I stayed on the 7th floor on the entrance side - not too good).
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Susqi

Dear Susqi,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are sorry to hear we did not execute with distinction during your visit. We would love to speak with you directly and try and rectify the shortcomings. Please email us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com. We look forward to personally working with you. All the best, W Atlanta Midtown

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here for a week in June 2013. As I was on a business trip, left the hotel quite early in the morning and came back early evening. The room was a decent size with comfortable bed and pillows. There were several lighting storms when I was in Atlanta and I got to see a fantastic lighting show (freaky!) thanks to the floor-to-ceiling windows in the room. Despite my room being located next to the elevators, there were no noise disturbances.

I did find the lighting in the lobby very dim and the music in the elevators quite loud (after 7pm).

I also opted for the "green" option i.e. housekeeping services every 2-3 days which was fine with me and in return got free points on my Starwood card.

The nearest metro stop and pharmacy is an easy 10 min walk from the hotel. There's a nice Thai restaurant around the corner from the hotel and there are several restaurant nearby.

I also enjoyed 2 spa treatments at Bliss spa located within the hotel...nice to just pop into the elevator to go back to my room after the spa session...very relaxing!

On the down side, the breakfast didn't change much during my stay...and I got tired of the same spread.

All in all, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank travelgroove

Dear Travelgroove,
Glad to hear you had a great stay with us and we look forward to seeing you back again soon! All the best, W Atlanta-Midtown

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel is average at best. Good location, seriously let down by the house keeping services. You should consider yourself lucky if the shower gels and other so called "Bliss" products are replenished (these are obviously in scarce supply as I've had to call down for more - after my 4th day I am out). The room is also dusty and one of the light fittings is broken with open cables exposed - pretty shabby. Writing this from my room - it is Sunday evening and my room has still not been cleaned - I've had to ask twice, lets see if they get to it before I want to go to bed!!

2  Thank David W

Hello DavidW,
We feel terrible about the Style issues and would love to speak with you personally. Please email us at GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com so we can personally assist you. We look forward to hearing from you.
All the best, W Atlanta Midtown