“I will never stay here again” 1 of 5 stars
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

Ranked #99 of 177 Hotels in Atlanta
Durham, North Carolina
“I will never stay here again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I only ask three things of a hotel...comfortable bed, clean bathroom...and a functioning internet. The internet not only was dysfunctional, but kept bringing up an entry screen that made it look like it was working! After a half-hour of frustrating time-wasting effort, I called the IT support. They did not understand what was happening either. Then, spontaneously the internet started to work...for a day...and then the next day the same @#$ thing happened. Only this time, IT said it was because of a scheduled maintenance that shut down the entire system. Thanks very much for letting users know not to waste their time trying to troubleshoot the issue! No information was given. I threw up my hands in disgust. This problem dwarfed the smaller problem that the concierge did not know what he was talking about when referring to local restaurants. In short, never again the W!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jed R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at the W for a night using a Groupon. The stay was nice but one day does not give you enough time to hang out at the pool Check In is at 3 Pm but if you get there a little early they will accommodate. There are a lot of bar/pubs in the area. We had a few drinks at the W bar called Spice Market. The drinks(soco and sprite) were average and $10 a piece. So I would advise going to any of the other bars a block down the street for half the price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aaron P
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Hello Aaron P,
Thanks for your feedback. We hope you come visit again for more time to enjoy all the facilities!
All the best,
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

First let me qualify my review by admitting that I'm generally not a fan of W Hotels as in my experience they are usually much more focused on style than substance. Also I think, truthfully, that I'm a little too old for the W brand, but as a Starwood Platinum member I still do patronize W when there are no other Starwood properties conveniently available to where I'm staying. Regarding the W Midtown, it's just overall a very disappointing property. I hesitate to be too negative, but it's down-at-heel with chipped paint, worn out carpets, paper thin sheets and blankets, and a generally dingy feeling. Of particular note was dirty dishes sitting outside of rooms for several hours - something that's just unacceptable in a hotel that purports to be an upscale 4 star hotel. I think I'd call this hotel "W-Lite", as it has all the outward stylistic trappings that define the brand, but when you dig a little deeper it's not really up to snuff.

As other reviewers have noted it's also very loud - we were on the 20th floor and could still hear music from the nightclub downstairs (or perhaps from another club nearby?), and the walls are paper thin. Luckily we weren't surrounded by anyone hard-partying neighbors, and the A/C is reasonably effective with white noise to drown out the thunka-thunka-thunka-thunka noise from the club, so we did get a good night's sleep; but still - any hotel that asks you to sign a specific "no parties in your room" agreement on check-in should give you pause if you're not a night owl intent on living it up into the wee hours. Perhaps it's different on weeknights, but most of the patrons we ran into on the Friday evening we stayed seemed to be very young and very club- and party-oriented.

On the plus side the staff was all very friendly and service was what you would expect at a premium hotel. The location is also very nice, although we didn't get a chance to explore as we only stayed one night. A suggestion on parking - you're probably much better off to pay the valet at the hotel vs. parking in the adjacent garage. In and out in the garage is $4.50, and the overnight fee was I think $22 or so. If you're going to be driving around and leaving/coming back a few times, I think the valet all-day fee will work out to be cheaper.

Overall, I can't recommend this hotel and I wouldn't stay again, brand loyalty notwithstanding. We actually checked out a day early to move to the W Downtown, which was much better in all regards (and cheaper!)

Room Tip: Best rooms would be at another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pw_sf
Dear p_sf,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We were certainly dissapointed to hear you had such an unpleasant experience. You comments and feedback have been shared with the hotel team. As a Platinum member of SPG we tremendously respect your loyalty to Starwood. We would love to have an opportunity to earn your confidence back on a future visit. Please let us know if that is something you would have interest in doing. You can reach us at GM@Watlantamidtown.com. We hope to hear from you.
All the best,
Tallahassee,FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed at the W Midtown this past weekend while attending a conference at the nearby Marriott Marquis. I have to say I would not recommend this hotel for families. There is entirely too much going on in the lobby area that I would not want my kids around. However, it is an amazing place for couples, friends, solo travel, and is conveniently located for business to downtown and midtown. I would have given an average rating if it wasn't for the staff, they were responsive attentive and very friendly. The entire hotel is designed around a modern party vibe to go with the "whatever, whenever" theme. On the weekends, the second floor club "whiskey park" is packed. I was caught off guard when I realized that there were bouncers actually standing outside for this purpose, however, I heard none of it from my room on the 16th floor. The room itself had a great view of Piedmont park and midtown. I dislike the peekaboo shower door and the sink but it went with the modern vibe of the room. The room itself was spacious with a vanity and sitting area which I appreciated. I definitely laughed at the fact that they stocked the room with everything you need to party: liquor, wine, snack bar, and even an "intimacy" kit.

I dislike the fact that I was told the hotel had a shuttle. They only have a car service which is first come first serve and runs on limited hours. It also does not pick you up. I shelled out more money in cab fare than I expected because I was told there was a shuttle available to guests.

I would stay at this location again as long as I do not plan on doing business downtown.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank gatorj
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stay here frequently and every time, I am always very impressed with their friendly staff and service from the front desk to the valet. The rooms are comfortable and very clean. It is a very convenient location in walking distance to many restaurants, bars, etc.

Room Tip: Rooms right next to the elevators can be a little loud
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I've stayed here a few times. It's a very nicely done hotel. The location is great as well. I've really enjoyed my room each stay. The views are very nice. Typical W beds, tvs, mini bar, bathrooms. Good rain shower heads. The lobby/living room area is really fun and great for visiting with friends. Walked through Whiskey Park but it was closed. Spice Market restaurant was okay but nothing too special. I like the rooms here and location better than W Atlanta Downtown. But, I like the pool area downtown better. I'd definitely return to both hotels as I have multiple times.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My overall experience there is always a good, whether on business or pleasure. Staff is always excellent, the food is good. The bathroom wasn't too clean, but the comfortable beds made up for it. I always recommend The W midtown to friends and family.. I'm from Boston so I enjoy the hospitality I get when I'm in Atlanta..

• Stayed March 2013