“Best Experience EVER!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 177 Hotels in Atlanta
Austin, Texas
“Best Experience EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

All of the staff at this hotel are very friendly and accomodating, from the bar to the front desk and insiders. Even though they were very busy with a wedding, and a big volleyball conference, they really took the time to make our stay incredible. Special thanks to Tamera Lang, Jessica Howell, David Jarrod, and Byron Barkley. It was my first time to Atlanta, and W Midtown could not have been a better way to be introduced to the city. I hope to go back very soon!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear "Hayley M,"

Thank you for your review and lovely compliments. We're so glad you had a fantastic time here at the hotel and for your visit to Atlanta. I'll pass along your kind words to the team -- they'll appreciate it very much.

Hope you'll come see us again soon!

Take care,

W Atlanta - Midtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We enjoyed staying at the W -midtown it was incredible!From the moment we drove up to valet til they brought the car round for the return trip such attention was paid to every aspect of our stay- definitely will recommend - cant say enough about the room ,the service,the amenities - will stay again!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear "Gerard J,"

Thank you so much for your review and compliments. We're thrilled you enjoyed your stay and will pass along your kind words to the full team here .

Athens, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I can't disagree with what the other reviews say about the way this hotel wants to do luxury but fails in so many ways. It's inexcusable for a Starwood hotel, especially one in Atlanta's Midtown. That said, it's a convenient and relatively affordable place to stay if you want or need to be in midtown and to have relatively easy access to I-85.

What you see as you pull up is a large driveway for valet parking. The public, self-parking lot is to the left, and it isn't much cheaper, unfortunately. When you enter the hotel, there are 3 desks where you can check-in. Two were in operation when I was there, and the line was slow moving. This hotel needs more staff at the front desks. The bar and lounge area is not inviting and nobody was hanging out there except for some school kids (but I wasn't there during the evening).

The room I had on the 12th floor resembled the size and style that you would find in an Aloft room, except there is no complimentary bottled water, no coffee maker and the room is filled with snacks and alcoholic drinks at outrageous prices. Yes, the shower stall is half-open, and I liked that a lot actually. Yes, the hall was a bit noisy and the walls did seem a bit thin. They serve free coffee in the lobby in the morning.

I would say that if you can afford to stay somewhere else, or really want a good night's sleep, find a different hotel. But if you are looking to stay at this hotel because of the location, it's fine.

Room Tip: FYI - the 17th floor is where they try to put guests with pets.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank Ilya W
Dear "Ilya W,"

Thank you for your review -- we're sorry for the ways in which we disappointed you. We will use your comments to improve, and hope that you'll give us another try the next time you're in Atlanta.

New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This must be one of the very few properties which confused me. It's a spunky hotel with a different interior design. However that doesn't matter much, because as a business traveller, one looks for service & other amenities. So I will describe few things which didn't gave me a wow experience:
Check in: When I & my colleague checked in, the front desk staff was cold & straight away gave me the room key & a declaration form to sign (it says u can't do party etc in the hotel room, along with few more points). It felt little bizarre to me because instead of asking for any bed preference or floor choice or even telling more about the property, the guys's priority was to complete the formality.
Rooms: they are nice & comfortable, perhaps newly made. But you will need to spend at least 5-7 mins to figure out the lamps etc. & how to switch them on or off..
Front desk: They remained so busy, tha even for smaller thing, like my room key was not working & I had to get it resolved, I stood almost 10-15 mins in the que.. This I think is irritating, especially when you are already staying in the property. (Mind you, the elevators only work, if you use your room key. So imagine coming back to hotel after a hectic day & than the key doesn't work & you get into a que to resolve it..) Aarrrgghhh...
Spice Market: This is one of there restaurants. We had our breakfast here. The food choice was limited, service okaish & even the taste was average.

All in all, I don't recommend this property for business travellers. While people who wanna have fun, may give it a try!

Room Tip: You can always opt for high floors for a better view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ankit1911
Dear "Ankit1911,"

Thank you for your review -- we are extremely sorry to hear that we didn't "wow" you. Our business travelers are highly valued and we strive to make your experience and stay here perfect. If you are traveling to Atlanta again, please email me so we can discuss ways to make your next stay here better: GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com.

We do hope you'll give us another try.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is not suitable for guests wishing to rest or sleep. Continuous noise from groups that party in rooms , doors continuously slamming, shouting in corridors, loud music from rooms throughout the night. If that's not enough first thing in the morning the housekeepers start their noise, totally inconsiderate to guests trying to sleep, yelling down corridor, slamming doors. This hotel seems to cater for people who wish to party and not sleep. Rooms shabby tired and full of clutter, difficult to find the basics like an electrical socket.
Front desk staff very sympathetic to complaints but unable to control the mass partying.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank torero5
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear "torero5,"

Thank you for your review -- we are sincerely sorry that you didn't enjoy a restful stay with us. It's disappointing to us that you didn't have a great experience and hope that you'll give us another chance the next time you're in Atlanta.

Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel is in a wonderful location and my stay was nice. However, for a hotel that touts itself as "luxury", they overlook the details. For instance, the "whatever, whenever" service service is often curt and seems too busy for the slightest request. Once, while calling from my room-phone to inquire about check-out, it rang for 2 minutes and no one answered; finally I called on my cell and they picked up. When I called for my car, I was told "no problem, we will bring right around", however after waiting patiently beside the valet for several minutes I was told he had never been called. On the second day of my stay the hall was covered in pieces of what appeared to be foam. When I returned from my day-on-the-town, the mess remained, and cleaning staff seemed apathetic. When the maid finally got to our room she was quick to inform us that she was suppose to get off at 6pm and see her daughter but was being forced to stay after and clean our room and others. I felt so badly for her I told her the bathroom didnt need cleaning(even though it did). Overall the W midtown is nice but needs improvement.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Jay M
Dear "Jay M,"

Thank you for your review -- we're glad you enjoyed our location and had a nice stay, but sincerely apologize for the ways in which we disappointed you. Your comments are appreciated and will be used as a learning experience.

We hope you'll give us another chance the next time you're in Atlanta.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The W in Midtown is in a PERFECT location. It's walkable to a lot of the bars and restaurants in Midtown, and relatively easily accessible from I75-I85. There is a complimentary shuttle provided by Acura that gets you within a small radius of the hotel too. MARTA is a few block walk.

My last review is largely unchanged a few years later. The lobby is part nightclub, part business, which actually works quite well for the clientele typically attracted to a W. Checkin can be a hit or miss experience, and completely depends on the time of day. I didn't see a SPG Preferred line, which was a little odd. The SPG Gold upgrade to a high floor room is great, and the views from the property (Buckhead or Downtown/Piedmont Park) are great. I'd go ahead and ask for the even numbered room and look out over Piedmont Park/Downtown, personally.

The rooms are adequate. It can be hard to find light switches in the dark, and the plug situation away from the desk is a little weird. Weird too is the iPod dock that doesn't charge an iDevice. The room condition was good.

My big beef with the property is the valet. Either they are understaffed, or they don't properly train their staff. After a long flight, I had to wait 15 minutes to park my car - the manager was profusely apologetic and did what she could to make it right for me. Throughout the weekend, it was a mixed bag - sometimes super efficient, and sometimes painfully and annoyingly slow. There was no rhyme or reason - and watching the valet manager stand there and pose as opposed to do something to keep the line moving was frustrating. The valet line overtakes the entire driveway, so even coming back in a taxi could be a problem.

Overall, the property location is fantastic and the rooms are quite good. Little hiccups would be easily fixed with staffing and coaching.

Room Tip: Ask for the end of the hall on the even side of the hotel. Quiet and overlooking Piedmont Park.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear "PHXJeremy,"

Thank you for your review -- we're glad to see you again! We agree that our location can't be beat, and thrilled you took advantage of our Acura Experience. We apologize that you were disappointed in some ways, however. We will use your criticisms to improve.

Take care,