“Great location, trendy atmosphere..”
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

W Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #101 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
“Great location, trendy atmosphere..”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed here several years ago and was pleased to the point of calling this my favorite hotel in US... So when given the opportunity to stay again I jumped on it. Same great service and atmosphere... Id say the property has aged gracefully, and other than the lobby nothing has changed. The only complaint is having to cross the insanely busy vallet loop, then show room key to the guy working the door, everytime you go grab a quick bite to eat, etc, on weekends. Feels like youre waiting in line and getting ID'd at a nightclub... Almost feels like hotel guests are second priority to the busy club downstairs on weekends... Though he does quickly wave you in and politely greet you. With that said the acura experience was great, and the driver was awesome. The mini bar is incredibly expensive, $5 for a small bottle of water or small can of pringles. No complaints at all on the room quality or clenliness other than minor wear. Id stay again.

• Stayed January 2013
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear "turbolex,"

Thank you for your review -- we're so honored to have been your "favorite hotel in the U.S.!" And thank you for coming back to visit. We're thrilled you enjoyed your stay; I will pass along your compliments to the entire team.

We hope to see you again soon.

Take care,

W Atlanta - Midtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I really like this W hotel.
The property is upscale, cool & sexy, and unique.
The rooms are really cool, with comfortable beds, unique furniture, and very modern bathrooms.
I'll have to say... the staff is really amazing. Everyone I encountered was friendly, and professional. When I made a request, they were on it!
The location is in Midtown, which is a very happening part of Atlanta. I parked my car at the hotel, and never thought about it again until I checked out. I could walk most places I needed to go.

And there's one BIG plus. They have a free car service (Acura) that will take guests anywhere in the nearby area. That was really nice when we left for a show at The Fox.

I highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "Carolinafellow,"

Thank you for your review and kind words. We're thrilled you enjoyed our vibrant, walkable neighborhood -- we love being here, too. I will pass along your compliments to our entire team; thank you again.

We hope to see you again soon!

All the best,

Brownsboro, Alabama, United States
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Made the mistake of taking the teenaged children to stay at the W in Midtown Atlanta for a wedding. If you opt to park in the garage instead of using the valet, don't expect to be able to find the entrance to the hotel. It is not at all well marked and you may find yourself in the indoor foodcourt adjacent to the hotel. Noticed a pile of vomit covered with a towel just outside our door as we checked in - wasn't cleaned up for several hours. The teenaged daughters were quick to notice the condoms for sale in the minibar. Room had trendy but cheap appearing decor. Hallways were poorly lighted with a nightclub ambience. I understand the purpose of Hotels like the W, but would still hope to get some quiet before 3AM. We could hearr the nightclub downstairs until the wee hours, even on the 17th floor. Expect to here revelers through the thin walls until the wee hours also. Also had trouble with the elevators not recognizing our room key about half of the time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chuck H
Dear "Chuck H,"

Thank you for your review -- I apologize for your negative experience. While many people enjoy our decor, amenities and atmosphere, we understand and appreciate that it's not a fit for everyone. We're sorry that we didn't impress you, but hope you'll give our brand another chance some time.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here for over a week as part of my relocation. I chose the hotel due to its good location and spg points.

- The good: very close to Piedmont Park and right in the middle of Atlanta's bustling midtown area. It's your typical W, hip and at times a bit overrated.

- The not so good: The walls are paper thin, as are the doors. This means you can hear just about everything (and I mean, everything) that happens in the rooms adjacent to yours. This being a bit of a party hotel, there is a significant amount of traffic in the corridors especially at night. To make things worse, two of the three rooms I stayed in during the week were connecting rooms, meaning they had a door to the room next to it. While the door is locked, this makes the sound insulation even weaker. If you are a light sleeper like I am, this spells trouble from the get-go. The rooms are modern and feature nice views of the area but are starting to show their age. A lot of the furniture is chipped or worn out and in need of replacement. The bathrooms are nicely appointed and the shower heads are a nice plus.

- The ugly: Noise, noise and more noise. While always nice to have a lively atmosphere in the lobby, the rooms should be better insulated against noise. I ended up changing rooms 3 times. The first one because there was considerable noise from the pipes in the bathroom. The second one because I was assigned a room right next to the service elevator shaft. This was akin to trying to sleep next to a bowling alley. The third move had me in a double room (as opposed to a king size bed room which is what as a Platinum member I always request). I took it because I needed to sleep but the connecting door to the next room down the hall proved to be a problem. I chose to ignore it as I frankly didn't want to change yet again but it took a toll on my sleep. I left my room shortly after midnight on a Sunday to get some ice and found a middle aged woman passed out on the corridor. Called the front desk and they said they would send someone up, but not to worry as she was probably 'just drunk' (!!).

The staff was a bit aloof but always responded to requests in a timely fashion. My Platinum status got me a one-category upgrade. When I inquired about an upgrade to a larger room, I was told none were available. I didn't pursue this but I had checked on-line right before getting to the hotel and larger rooms showed as available for the duration of my stay. Makes me wonder if this hotel has any self-made rules when it comes to only partially honoring Platinum upgrades.

Would I stay here again? Not likely. While the location is great and the spg points a nice bonus, the noise make this hotel a poor option for anyone other than the hard core party crowd.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room that does not have a connecting door. I would try to ensure a quiet location...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Nicolas F
Dear "Nicolas F,"

Thank you for your review, and congratulations on your relocation to Atlanta -- welcome to the city. I'm deeply sorry that we disappointed you in so many ways. I would love for you to give us another try and a chance to make it right -- if you're in need of a hotel room in Atlanta, please consider booking with us and, when you do, please let me know: GMWAtlanta.Midtown@whotels.com.

We hope to see you here again soon.

Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here on New Year's Eve. We attended the Masquerade Ball hosted by Whiskey Park (bar inside hotel) and decided to get a room for the night so we could imbibe freely and not worry about how to get home :) Granted, the hotel was extremely busy due to the holiday and the event, but the hotel seemed under staffed. There were long lines for check in, long wait times for housekeeping, long lines for the valet. The hotel rooms are too modern for my taste - there is no door on the shower, no place to hang a wet towel - the room is not as functional as I would like. The only non-modern thing in the room was an ancient clock radio that I could not hook my iPhone to - go figure. The room was average in size and ameneties - not what I expected for the price. I booked a quiet room for 2, with event perks and a late checkout. I got a room for one next to the elevator, no event perks and normal checkout time. We had to call down to the desk twice to get a bathrobe delivered to the room, and when housekeeping finally arrived, she brought 2 robes, one of which was dirty. Overall, the room and hotel experience was disappointing - for the price tag, I was expecting a lot more.

Room Tip: Do not book next to the elevator - if you land a room there anyway, bring white noise or turn the HV...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shannon C
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear "Shannon P,"

Thank you for your review -- I am sincerely sorry that you were disappointed by your New Year's Eve experience here. We try hard to exceed every guest's expectations and hate to hear when we've failed. We do hope you'll give us another try the next time you're staying in the area.

Thank you again -- and we do hope to see you again soon.

Cumberland, Maryland
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Hotel is very nice. Staff from beginning to end was very courteous and helpful. The decor was very modern. Our rooms had great views from the 23rd Floor. The rooms had some cosmetic issues. Paint on desk was beginining to warp and blister. The sliding door for the bathroom in my in-laws room was completely off the hinges. Hotel was close to several restaurants, a sports bar, and within walking distance of the MARTA. If you did not want to walk the hotel had a car to help you get there, although I chose to walk. They had an outside area that was heated. Made it very nice to wait for your car from the valet or to sit outside and have a drink. Overall, it was a very nice stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear "John W,"

Thank you so much for your review. We're thrilled you and your family enjoyed your visit to "the ATL." I'm sorry that you experienced some cosmetic issues in your room, however; we apologize for that. We hope you'll give us another try -- maybe on a return visit to Atlanta in warmer months when our patio is a fun hotspot (pun intended; no need for the heaters in spring, summer or fall!).

We hope to see you again soon, and thanks again.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed here for a 2 day business trip and enjoyed the hotel. The rooms are very comfortable and it was a short walk away to the office. The staff are extremely friendly, the beds are very comfortable and the rooms spacious. It is a short drive to great places to eat. Good option when in Atlanta.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PCTravel
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear "PCTravel,"

Thank you so much for your review -- we're thrilled to be your home-away-from-home when traveling on business. Be sure to stop by the concierge desk the next time you're here -- we can provide some great recommendations for the new restaurant hotspots within walking distance!

We hope to see you again soon -- we value your business very much.

Thanks again,