“My go to hotel in Atlanta”
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

W Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #107 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Can't say enough good things about this hotel. I was working on a long term project in Atlanta and had my choice of where I wanted to stay. I tried out a few places, but def found a home at the W. The price is reasonable, Great location in midtown, and outstanding service. On the weekends, it is not uncommon to see celebrities and the lounge on property is free for guests of the hotel. If you're looking for a trendy, modern hotel, then this is for you. Did I mention it has all the amenities, pool, bars, fitness center, great restaurant on property? Stay here, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
W-ATL-Midtown, Marketing Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2012

Dear Roy B,

Thank you for the glowing review! We're so glad you found a home at the W Atlanta Midtown. Since you mentioned our pool -- it's a gorgeous day here in Atlanta and it's making us all excited for pool season. Hope you'll come see us this spring/summer to enjoy it!

Tucker B.

There are newer reviews for W Atlanta Midtown

Reviewed February 29, 2012

First off, the staff and Concierge were great, the food staff, wonderful, not a problem. Let us talk about physical plant however, and style. Now, as I have said before I am terminally un-hip, and proudly. I understand the modern minimalist decor, but the low lighting (kept that way to enhance the lighting design I'm sure), is depressing and annoying. I have seen cheerier lighting while attending wakes in funeral parlors. It is also a safety problem, as someone at the hotel fell to their knees after losing their footing on some steps that were darkened as a course of the lighting design. Also the staff was all dressed in black and shades of charcoal. It's a hotel, not an episode of "Twilight".
Now the room was just OK, the bathroom lights needed replacement as a set were out, and the desk lamp was in the process of falling apart. Also the pillows needed a good airing out or a good dry cleaning. The floor tiles in the bathroom seemed to be designed to be "slippier" the wetter they got, not good for a bathroom decor choice. Also the bathroom sink splashed the user even when the water flow was low.
One last thing. They have a small luncheon area called "Plateau", it is basically a large stair landing, that I assume, started life as a small conversation area between two sets of stairs. As an eating area it is ridiculously small. As I was having lunch a corporate meeting let out and about 70 or 80 people trooped past my table (within 5 or 6 feet), going from one level to the next. Watching a parade of corporate types troop past while you aretrying to eat lunch is not a particularly comfortable experience. Also the operators of the hotel should honestly ask themselves if the low lighting is "tres chic" or hiding the "tres shabby".

Room Tip: If you are a member of Starwoods Group, ensure you bring your card with you for point options and po...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank joejanet1991
W-ATL-Midtown, Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

Dear JoeJanet1991,

Thank you so much for your review and for staying with us. We are aware of the guest who fell in the Living Room area and were able to meet with them shortly after the fall. They were immediately offered medical attention, however felt it was unnecessary so we were pleased they were not injured.

We strive to keep our hotel in pristine condition and will have our team do a thorough checking of bathroom lights and desk lamps – thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Lastly, thank you for the compliments about our staff and food – we truly aim to exceed expectations and very much appreciate compliments such as yours.

Michael O'Donohue
Hotel Manager

Reviewed February 28, 2012

I love W hotels! The music, the decor, the beds, the Bliss goodies. While this hotel does have a bit of wear and tear, it is still everything you've come to expect from W hotels.... great staff, great food and drink and very clean and comfortable. My husband and I spent one night recently for a quick getaway. We enjoyed dinner in the Spice Market way more than we expected to. Ginger Margaritas and beef skewers and very attentive bartenders made for a great night. As others have mentioned you can't beat the location of this hotel in the heart of midtown for walking to other restaurants if the Spice Market isn't for you. Self parking was convenient and it was very easy to get a taxi with valet help. I confess this was a blind purchase on a popular hotel site but the courteous staff didn't hold this against us at all. They welcomed us with open arms and even asked us to return and we will.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I visit atlanta 3-4 times per year. W Midtown is great. Cant beat the W beds. Staff is so attentive, valets keep the Ieople moving in and out, bars and restaurants great. Busy hotel, but 5 elevators always get you up and down quick. Coffee and papers in lobby by 6am. Easy walk to everywhere, and they have a bicycle you can ride into Piedmont Park just down the street.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel countless times. I am a Starwood junkie. The regular rooms are pretty small but packed full of cool things. The beds are the best I have even been in. This is in no way a family hotel though. It is connected to a mall. By which I mean a bunch of restaurants. there is a sushi restaraunt right next door which is very good. The food at the hotel is very good (I have had everything on the menu both breakfast and dinner) but you pay for it. I There is live entertainment on some nights like fashion shows etc.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank sdr82
W-ATL-Midtown, Marketing Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Dear Sdr82 -- Thank you so much for this great review and for being a "Starwood junkie!" I'm sure you know already, but just in case -- Starwood is rolling out some major Starwood Preferred Guest program enhancements this Thursday (March 1). You can check out all the new member benefits on spg.com/morepower. Also, on your next visit if you're looking for new restaurants to try, check out the newsletter we print each week (at the concierge desk) and the W iPhone app for some good local recommendations, plus fun events going on in the area. Thanks again -- we'll look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

We were here as part of a wedding block. We did not stay at the hotel but all of our friends did so we visited many of the rooms, including a suite. The rooms were very nice and everyone was very happy with their room. One room had a fridge that wouldn't get cold and one call to the front desk resulted in a new one being delivered immediately.

We spent quite some time in the lobby-which is really nice, waiting to meet up with people and hanging out. All of the staff we encountered were great. We also ate some food in the bar in the lobby and had drinks all of which were pretty good.

We went up to the night club Whiskey Park which was pretty cool. I had an amazing grapefruit basil martini and everyone else liked their drinks as well. The bar tenders were very attentive and the DJ was great.

Overall I really which I would have stayed there, it was great and no one had any complaints at all.

Room Tip: Higher floors will hear less noise but also have nicer views.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
W-ATL-Midtown, Marketing Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Dear Lizkittyliz -- Thank you so much for your review! The next time you're in Atlanta, we'd love for you to stay with us (and enjoy another grapefruit basil martini -- they are delicious, aren't they?). Please tell your newlywed friends "congrats" from us.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

With an interior that looks like a harshly thrown-together mixture of Ed Hardy and P. Diddy, the W Midtown is an overpriced nightclub with bedrooms where Snooki would fit right in.

Much like Tara Reid, the W was surely beautiful in its heyday. However, from the ragged towels to the furniture that is chipped and painted, much like Tara Reid the W is now showing its age. While still trying to remain a “hip” place, much like Tara Reid the W has given up on reinventing itself and instead it ups the gauche factor in hopes that one day it will come back into fashion. Unlike Tara Reid, the W can’t have a wardrobe malfunction to garner more pathetic attention.

The W seems to really only be a perfect fit for annoying bachelorette parties, rap album releases, and middle agers trying to regain a glory from their 20’s that didn’t really exist in the first place (much like Tara Reid).

Why does it get 4 stars? An amazing staff and a prime location.

Would I return? Not at the $200+/night price range. There are many better options in the area in the same price range (Four Seasons, Loews).

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SN1752

Dear SN1752 -- OUCH! (But thanks for the comic relief – you definitely get points for humor.) While we think our hotel is stylish and chic and we often receive compliments on the interiors, we understand that everyone’s preferences are different. Thank you for the compliment on our staff and location – we do hope you’ll give us another try the next time you’re in Atlanta (you may want to check out some of the specials offered on our website – you can find rates around $179 and packages with up to $100 in hotel credits).