“Best Bang for Your Buck in Midtown”
Review of W Atlanta Midtown

W Atlanta Midtown
Ranked #109 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Out of all the W's in the Atlanta area, if you are a hard core SPG customer, this is the place to stay. Check in is always speedy.. lobby is not overwhelming like some W's.

I am usually upgraded (if I don't check in too late on Mondays) to the Fantastic Suite, with an amazing view of the park. Living room is cozy, with a spectacular spa-like bathroom.

There are not that many restaurants that are walkable for me, but room service is solid, with optional menu for Spice Market for dinner.

Only downside is the valet parking, which often takes longer than expected. Sometimes when I call Whatever/Whenever, it still gets forgotten. However, the wheels guys are friendly and they offer you water while waiting.

Room Tip: Fantastic suites have an amazing view, with a sexy bathroom that is divided by a glass wall to the s...

Reviewed October 24, 2011

In town for a business meeting, and didn't select the hotel--"they" did.

Check-in was quick and breezy. I was offered the option to earn extra Starwood Points if I didn't get my room cleaned. "No way! I like a clean room!" (call me spoiled, and anti-environment--but I want a clean room after I've been working all day--when I come back to the little cubby for the night, it should be clean!)

Room is adequate. The decor is art deco/funky with purple and foil and some interesting fixtures. Trying to be "hip" and "retro" --some o the fixtures seem cheap looking and will be outdated soon. Bed is comfortable, amenities in bathroom are fine, everything in the room functions well.

Meeting rooms clean, and a bonus--the "W" provided morning and afternoon refreshments--we're here on a government project and the feds can't pay for this type of thing, but the "W" did it for us anyway. Nice touch! Thank you! HUGE bagels and incredibly tasty and moist cookies! YUM.

Bounced up to my room at 3:00 p.m. to make a call and saw that the room hadn't been cleaned yet. Called down to front desk and was told that they would be sure someone would come right away. I told them I'd be back at 4:30 p.m. and they assured me it would be cleaned before I got back.

4:30 p.m.--back to the room and it wasn't cleaned. Called to front desk and asked for Manager. Was told I was speaking to the manager, so I explained my concern, and that I had planned to power nap/relax prior to going out for the evening. She promised someone would be right up.

5:05 p.m.--I had dozed off and was woken up by someone knocking on the door. It was housekeeping. By that time I was in a daze and sleepy and frustrated so I just told him to give me some towels and take out the dirty ones and we called it good. I called to speak with Manager and told her that from our conversation earlier I expected someone right away--not more than a half hour later. She indicated surprise that it took so long and said she would talk with that team. She offered me dinner to compensate for the trouble.

It seems like a decent enough hotel, but it shouldn't be rocket science to get a room clean by 4:30 p.m. They have some nice features (generally clean, quick check-in, helpful concierge, good location connected to a food court which is great for lunch), some odd ones (decor), and sadly this challenge with cleaning rooms. I noted that other reviewers had a similar challenge. As such, I rate the property as just "Average". I've stayed at the Marriott and Hyatt downtown and both can get rooms cleaned daily and prior to late afternoon.

1  Thank fun1wpb
Reviewed October 24, 2011

My first, and probably last, stay at a W Hotel. Maybe this isn't indicative of the brand, but it was possibly the worst hotel experience in my memory. The hotel felt old, in spite of the contemporary furnishings. Hallways were dark, carpet was dirty. No bellhops to help carry in the luggage. Everything in the room had a price tag on it--bottles of water, internet service, etc. No nightly turn downs. Only one set of towels. For a room that cost over $300 a night, I expected more. We did not eat in the restaurant, but room service breakfast for coffee, juice, yogurt and fruite was over $40, without tip! But the absolute worst was that our room (#520) was 2 floors above the bar, Whiskey Park, which has an outdoor patio. Even with the air conditioning running, it sounded like it was right outside our window. And last call was 2AM, with the partying continuing until at least 3AM. Some people still there with their bottles at 7AM. Point being that there absolutely no way to sleep until after 3AM. After 3 nights at this hotel all we wanted to do was go home and get some rest. I wouldn't have paid even $50 a night to have stayed here had I known what it was going to be like.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathy J
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I just returned from 2 nights at this hotel. I will not be going back. Our room was in need of repair, there was a hole in the wall where a coat hook had once been and some of the furniture had seen better days. The hotel policy is to require a credit card and your drivers license to hold while you drink in their bar. Unfortunately, not only does this violate the card service agreement between the hotel and the credit card companies, but it also is just stupid in this day and age of identity theft. If you want coffee in your room in the morning, better call their Whatever/Whenever desk as soon as you check in, or they'll be out of them. The service at this W is the worst I have ever had. I travel several times a month for work and I have never been treated this poorly anywhere. I think another review called the staff "snooty", I would go further and say they are condescending and don't care. There are much better hotels in Midtown, I will stay there next time.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank B M
W-ATL-Midtown, General Manager at W Atlanta Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

Dear B M-

We were extremely disappointed to hear you had such an unsatisfactory visit during your recent stay at W Atlanta Midtown. We take these comments extremely serious and are trying to contact you directly in order to work with you towards resolving these issues. Based on your comments it is apparent the hotel did not reach a desired level of satisfaction and we want to correct the issues you experienced. We look forward to connecting with you personally and working towards resolution.

Regards,
W Hotel Management

Reviewed October 21, 2011

OVERVIEW OF BRAND
The first W Hotel opened in 1998 and I’ve heard different stories as to the origin of its name (e.g., Starwood’s CEO, Barry Sternlicht, supposedly referring to it as “Westin's funky little sister” hence W coming from the Westin’s first letter). The W has the feel of a luxury boutique hotel with the service and amenities of a conference hotel. Each W will have a unique visual experience (i.e., art, lighting, and architecture) and hip music playing in the lobby. The rooms will have Bliss bathroom products. The hotel’s motto is “Whatever/Whenever” (so long as it’s legal and ethical).

W HOTEL–MIDTOWN
This W is one of three in Atlanta, and it is located about 11 miles from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL). The building was previously a Sheraton, but it was rebranded and renovated approximately 4 years ago to become a W. There is a MARTA Station just outside the baggage claim area at the airport; you can take it to the MARTA Arts Center Station, which is about 0.25 mile from the hotel. One of the W's five elevators is encased in glass, and gives amazing views as you ride it up to the high floors. Bliss Spa is on Level S (i.e., the basement) and they were running some great “Back to School” Specials (mega-savings with product bundles) when I was there…so check and see if they have any bundles.

This hotel has had some bad press recently due to a bizarre accident in which two women fell out of their 10th Floor room (Room # 1012) in May. However, I felt very safe in the hotel, and security was very present on the first floor, especially when the Midtown nightlife was hopping.

THE ROOM
This is my first stay at this W, and I was upgraded to a Fantastic Suite due to having an extended stay as a Platinum-Preferred Guest. In this type of room you should find a 42” LG flat-screen LCD TV in the living room and a 37” LG flat-screen LCD TV in the bedroom, a Bose DVD/CD player with Bose speakers in the living room, a Sony DVD/CD player in the bedroom, a dining room table, one free bottle of Fiji water, a safe, an iron, and ironing board. There is no fridge. There is no coffee maker, but you can request to have one sent to your room or you can usually find coffee in the lobby for free in the morning. The bathroom will have Bliss (Lemon+Sage) products.

FOOD
There are about 5 eateries in the hotel that have varying hours and some are only open on the weekend; I only had food/drinks in two of their eateries. The Living Room Lounge is in the main lobby and is usually busy in the early evening hours (before people go out for the night life). The Spice Market is up the stairs from the Living Room, and it has Southeast Asian food by Chef Jean-Georges. They also have a signature margarita, Ginger Margarita, which is really good if you like ginger.

GYM AND POOL
The gym is excellent for a hotel gym! It is located on Level S across from the Bliss Spa. Although there are five elevators, only two of them go to Level S. You can also take some stairs down to Level S from the Lobby. The cardio equipment is in very good shape, consisting of treadmills, bikes, and elliptical machines. There are several cable machines, dumbbells, and bicycles that you can rent to take around the city. There are also refrigerated towels and Bliss body wipes in individual packets.

I only saw the pool at night; it’s located on the 5th floor on a “roof deck.” It looked nice and had several cabanas available for reservation.

SPG SPECIFIC
There is no lounge but there are suites. There are no free food perks for Gold or Platinum Members. However, Platinum Members do get 500 bonus Starpoints, free Internet, and 4PM checkout. Although there is no “Green Choice” door hanger in the room—where you waive housekeeping for Starpoints if you are staying 2+ nights—you can call and request the service to receive 500 bonus Starpoints.

OVERALL RATING
This is an excellent W that is surrounded by a lot of activity. The W’s bars and restaurants have great ambience and drinks; and the room is very comfortable. Smokers are a nuisance as they tend to swarm in the hotel’s outdoor patio (which has a nice running “stream” by it), and their disgusting smoke fills the valet area and leaks into the Living Room Bar. But, the staff is very helpful and friendly. If you like the W brand, then you should enjoy this location.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Cisco96
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I have stayed at a few W properties and this one was a bit on the average side. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable, service at the front desk was helpful and kind, and of course, the Bliss amenities are great. If you're into the whole, sexy modern design thing, then this hotel certainly has that. The housekeeping was alternately amazing and helpful, and alternately not so great (they didn't replace my robe one day and my remote controller was under the bed another day)

On the other hand, the room service was often slow and spotty. One time I had my order messed up, and when I called to have something removed from my bill, it wasn't removed. I had to ask the poor staff member who brought up breakfast to remove it from the bill. Furthermore, the in-house restaurant is disappointing. I've been to a few of Jean-Georges' restaurants in New York and this one was pretty lackluster (and very expensive for the portion sizes.) There's also a shocking delivery charge for room service AND still a line for a tip, which seems very tacky to me.

It wasn't a bad stay at all, but for the price and the brand, I expected better.

1  Thank Janelle J
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Had to stay here for work unfortunately ... All downtown hotels were sold out!!! Their restaurant was overpriced and downright disgusting!!! The spice market should fire their chef now.... The snooty manager tried to make up for the ridiculous small portions by sending out some complimentary salty squishy eggplant!!! Whatever is definitely their policy .... They charge $30 a night to park your car there ... I was there for three nights and never even used the car but paid nearly $ 100 for it to sit there!!!! Then I left something in the room... Part of a present for my boyfriends 40th birthday.... Of course it was not turned in even though I called the same afternoon I checked out!!! Funny lost and found never called me back but when I called them AGAIN it still wasn't located... I know exactly where I had tucked it away in the room... I spent nearly $1300 for three nights and I am furious that they couldn't even bother to call me back and I wonder what happened to the items I accidentally left in the room!!!!! WHATEVER!!!! The W is horrible and snooty and I Will never stay there again!!!!!! Ugh!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011