1,568 results
All reviews piedmont park bliss spa bliss products botanical gardens modern hotel lobby bar business trip valet service midtown hip concierge uber atl marta
Reviewed May 16, 2011

We visited the W Midtown for a weekend for a wedding - not at the W, but we love W Hotels so we decided to stay at this one while in town. We have experienced service at W Hotels before and were hoping for an equally pleasant experience here. Not so much.

Our check in was relatively pleasant. The hotel itself is lovely, and quiet compared to other W Hotels. Of course, valet is expensive ($30 a night!) but that's the same as any other W. There is a self-park next to the hotel for $22 per night. We took advantage of this most of the time.

The actual physical aspect of the hotel was everything you'd expect from a W. Anyone who brings little kids here shouldn't complain about the size of the rooms or amenities for kids. This is a grown up hotel for sure, and not a family-oriented one. We love the bed, and we loved the couch in the room. The shower door only being a half-wall was kind of weird, but it worked and water was not all over the floor, so we weren't really picky about that. In sum, the physical property was beautiful and well-appointed, everything we expected.

The service? Not so much.

At the other Ws we've stayed at, the service was top notch. The last time, I left my toothbrush and cotton pads at home, and the Whatever/Whenever (W/W) service gladly provided me with some. This time, I again left my cotton balls at home, and when I called W/W to bring some, the answer from the man on the phone was a curt, "We don't have any." Later, my fiance asked if they had or could get a video cable so he could hook his laptop up to the TV screen - again, the answer was a curt, "No." Ironic, considering the card in the bathroom says, "What can we do for you? Anything, just ask."

Additionally, the room service menu was VERY short when it came to anything but breakfast - and slower than molasses in wintertime, to boot. We got back from the wedding at 1am on Sunday night/Monday morning, and ordered a pot of hot chocolate to relax with before bed. We were told 20 minutes - but 40 minutes later it still hadn't arrived. John called them again, and magically, we were told they were "on their way." They didn't show up for yet another 10 minutes. All this for a pot of hot cocoa. This happened twice previously - just very, very slow and unapologetic service.

I will say, the spa in the hotel (Bliss) was WONDERFULLY accommodating to myself and the bridal party (again, not holding the wedding in the hotel but we came here for pre-wedding beauty). Deborah and her wonderful staff worked extra services in, including nail services and massages, and provided chocolate sundaes to the girls - even if they weren't getting any service at all. YOU GUYS ROCK. :)

In sum, while the rooms are beautiful, if you're going to do anything at this hotel other than sleep, you're better served going to one of the other three Ws. DEFINITELY stop by Bliss, though - they're well worth your money!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karyn W
Reviewed May 14, 2011

This was our first trip to Atlanta so we were not sure what to expect. We were told that midtown was a good location because there are plenty of restaurants around which we assumed were in walking distance, not true. You need a car in this city. You can however walk to the park which was awesome for running.

Given that we did not have a car and there is nothing in walking distance it was extremely nice that the hotel was attached to a little food court with a couple resturants, this turned out to be a BIG plus.

Also it was nice that Bliss Spa is part of the hotel, the setup of the spa is a little institutional like but I enjoyed my treatments very much and everyone was very nice.

The rooms at the W were comfortable, I appreciate the fact that they are not stingy on the products (shampoo, lotion ect)

We stayed on Sunday-Wednesday so night life was slow at the hotel so not sure what things are like on the weekend.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2011

When I choose a hotel, I always try to find a lively hotel with great design.
From the moment I entered the W Atlanta Midtown, it was obvious that my stay was going to be great, as music is everywhere at the W Atlanta Midtown, in the lobby (called the Living Room), or at the restaurant Spice Market (not very loud).

My room was really nice, quite large, with a very comfortable bed and top quality linen.
Breakfast was excellent, with a decent choice on the menu.
On weekend nights the Whiskey Blue nightclub was crowded.
Great bar called the Living Room (with possible outdoor seating).

As some other people mentionned, I'm not sure that the W Atlanta Midtown is for everyone, as if you like quiet hotels, or if you are coming with young kids with you, it's not the best place to stay. But if you like good music and if you want to relax, it's a fantastic hotel, among the best in the trendy hotel category.

Furthermore the location is perfect, close to many museums (High Museum of Art), Woodruff Arts Center, and to MARTA station (5 minutes walking).

Overall I won't stay at any other hotel in Atlanta !

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Chris75
Reviewed May 4, 2011

On the weekends the hotel becomes a local hot spot with cluttered traffic and lots of revelers in the lobby. If you're there for business, make sure to get a higher floor room as the noise in the lobby going into the wee hours of the morning will keep you awake. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I found the service staff to be very helpful. In particular the evening concierge, Jackie Baker, was very good at helping us get around town as we did not rent a car. A couple of times the staff screwed up my room service order and went out of their way to make up for it, which was much appreciated. The bed was not as comfortable as I would have expected and the pillows were basically non-existent. They didn't have any firm pillows and I ended up stacking three together. This may sound trivial to some travelers but I need neck support or else I wake up with a horrible headache. For those of you who need firm pillows, make sure to bring your own! The hotel's location is a block away from the park which is very nice. The area is a gentrified part of Atlanta with lots of college students and gay bars. Restaurants in the immediate area tend to be more frat house friendly (complete with loud, screaming, drunk frats with fresh sunburns from playing in the park) than something appropriate for business meetings. Again, if you're there for business, plan to drive outside the area for work lunches and dinners. The hotel's pool on the 5th floor was very popular (i.e., overcrowded) so I skipped that. The fitness center was much better equipped than I anticipated and there was never an issue with getting on a machine that I wanted to use. Overall, not sure I would stay there again on business but I would if I was in town for a quick holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2011

The hotel is in a very respectable area but that doesn't make it respectable. My biggest problem was the cost. In no way was it worth what it cost to stay there. On top of what it cost I felt as if every which way I turned people had their hand out for money and the place was in a bit of disrepair. It started with the lighting that was supposed to accent the waterworks was all burned out and you could tell needed repair. On top of that the water works out front had its plumbing exposed from beneath the river rock that is supposed to be covering it. The colors in the hotel are basically black and gray with some dark blues thrown in here and there. I found the whole thing rather depressing. Then once in the room we found the color scheme the same with the furniture rather well worn. Again the hands were out reaching for my pocket with a full fridge and ample other foods and drinks strategically placed around the room. Every one of which had a price tag on it, literally. The final $ straw that broke my economic back was the breakfast or should I say the lack thereof. I have stayed in many a Holiday Inn type hotel that charged considerably less than The W charged and got free coffee in my room and a continental breakfast in the lounge. We were graced with free coffee in the lounge. I think it would have been less insulting had I had to pay for my coffee. To the positive I think the lobby had perfect music to go with the bar and lounge area. It was very conducive to socializing. I also found everything very clean and the bedding was outstanding. Lastly, I'm not going to say the place was crawling with them but there were some ladies of questionable virtue that could be found wandering around quite freely at times. The only reason I rated this hotel as high as I did was its cleanliness.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple