“Nice downtown hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Charleston, South Carolina
“Nice downtown hotel”
Reviewed February 1, 2011

This hotel was definitely convenient to America's Mart. I normally stay in midtown but opted for downtown this trip. Not much around the hotel as far as restaurants etc. There is no sundries store so if you need anything like aspirin or tampons you are at the mercy of the hotel. Bars were fair. They staff seemed to be running around a lot. Upstairs bar only served certain types of alcohol while the downstairs bar had everything. Enjoyed our meal at the steak restaurant but it was pricey. Room service experience was lacking so we just went down to the restaurant after that.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Florida
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Recently spent one night at the hotel. Like all W Hotels lately it's hard to tell whether the hotel is trying to be a luxury hotel or a nightclub. Although the rooms are comfortable and the beds amazing, the whole lobby scene is a bit ridiculous. We've stayed at W hotels in LA and New York City and the bar scenes at these places are more refined and classier. The lobby scene and bars at the W Hotel Downtown Atlanta has almost become a caricature of itself. The area around the hotel also leaves a lot to be desired. If you are there on the weekends almost everything is closed and the streets are pretty desolate, unless a special event is going on.

The parking situation is also ridiculous. At the front desk they stated that the only parking available was the valet parking for $30 a night. I had parked at the parking deck that the W Hotel shares with the office tower next door and I saw that the parking fee was $12 maximum. When I inquired at the hotel, I was told that if I didn't do the valet parking and left it at the parking deck without a W identification, I would be towed away. Seeing that this was also a parking facility for the office tower and other businesses in the area I decided to leave it there. I inquired with the security guard at the office tower and I was told that I could leave the car there and would not be towed. Like I suspected my car was not towed and was still there the next morning and we paid $12 for the night. Thanks W Hotel staff for trying to get $30 per night for parking when other cheaper options are available in the area!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank chachi07
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I had a "mini" birthday party in the "Cool Corner" room at the W Downtown. Not only is the view AMAZING but the room was very nicely decorated! It was a big hit with all my guest. They were highly impressed with the hotel and the suite. The staff is super helpful and friendly. Everything I needed they supplied! The bed was soooooooo comfy! I will definitely be staying there again VERY soon! I wish all hotels were like them!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, ON
Reviewed January 3, 2011

On a drive to Florida, we decided to make an extended stop in Atlanta and stayed the W. Great choice! The room was beautifully decorated and well appointed, the bathroom was fabulous, great beds, and the staff couldn't do enough for us...always with a smile. Tool bad the weather was so cold - the 16th floor outdoor pool would be a great place to spend a few hours in the sun! One warning: The breakfast restaurant was not consistent with the rest of our experience - incompetent staff, food was ehhhh...but the decor was very nice.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Oklahoma
Reviewed December 21, 2010

My husband and I were traveling to Myrtle Beach and decided to make a stop in Atlanta. Being a Starwood Preferred Guest I used points to book a night in the W Atlanta Downtown. The hotel was a little difficult to locate due to the layout of downtown Atlanta. Another negative was the cost of the valet parking which was $30.00. The alternative parking was located across the street in a dark garage. This was the only negatives we found.

Upon entering the hotel it was very welcoming with a modern feel and beautiful decor. Even though we arrived at 12 a.m. the staff was very friendly and welcoming.

The room offered a great view of downtown Atlanta.

We had a king room which was one of the best decorated hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. It was very modern with silver and purples. The room is one you would not want to share with someone you are not very familiar with as the huge shower has a see through glass wall which it shares with the bedroom.

The room was very quiet with no noise coming from the halls. The bed was also comfortable offering a great nights sleep.

I would definitely stay here again if traveling through Atlanta.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed December 11, 2010

I was starting to have W Hotel fatigue but after spending two nights at the W Atlanta – Downtown the brand is back in my favor. The hotel, which shares the building with the W Residences, is brand spanking new. From the hotel you can easily walk to the GA aquarium and other attractions. I stayed in a wonderful room on the 14th floor that had all the usual wacky W Hotel furniture and impossible to figure out light switches. Luckily I was traveling alone because the dividing wall between the bathroom and the living area is glass. Make sure you know that before sharing a room with kids or parents. The staff was warm and very helpful. Room service was good but expensive. On the ground floor there is a BLT restaurant and DRINKSHOP (bar) is on the second floor. Unlike the other W Hotels in Atlanta, this property was surprisingly very quiet. I’ve stayed at two other W Hotels in Atlanta and I rank this one very high.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank limajt91279
San Francisco
Reviewed December 6, 2010

This was perhaps my best experience at any W. I read the reviews for Atlanta and selected this hotel since this had the best TripAdvisor ratings for Atlanta. My incredible experience started before I even got there. Since this was my first visit to Atlanta with my partner I sent an email to the manager asking if an upgrade was possible. When we arrived everyone from the valet to the front desk associate were incredibly helpful and welcoming. We were upgraded to a corner room with plenty of space and the room was decorated in typical modern W style. During our stay we had champagne and chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room along with some complimentary drink coupons. During our entire stay everyone we came in contact with were incredibly friendly and helpful. I couldn't have asked for a better experience and would totally recommend this hotel to anyone considering staying here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple