“Wonderful hotel - great staff, great location, great restaurant, great rooms, and great pool”
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #67 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 15, 2010

This is the letter I sent to the General Manager Tim, Dahlen in reference to my stay....

The highlight and purpose for my stay at the W in downtown Atlanta was a Life Celebration at the BLT Steakhouse. Myself and 21 ladies had outstanding service and enjoyed a wonderful dinner on Sunday – May 30, 2010. Every course was delightful and the staff was stupendous. We only had praises and applause for each morsel of food and the attention bestowed upon us by the wait staff and manager.
I was disappointed on Monday morning to discover that there was no open restaurant for breakfast due to the holiday. I had a guest coming to meet me and nowhere to dine. The nice young lady at the front desk advised that the restaurant at the 12 Hotel was open. Then, upon request she gladly confirmed that they were still serving breakfast and there was no wait. The lady who checked me in was also very welcoming and pleasant.
The staff highlight would be the gentleman in security (I forgot his name, but please find him. He was dressed in black suit and tie with a white shirt). I checked out on Monday, May 31st, and once home discovered that I left my bag with all my vital meds in room 1006. When I called I was transferred to security. Instead of waiting for the end of the housekeeping tour and collection of lost and found items, the gentleman proactively placed calls to locate my bag. He promptly called me back to advise that it had been found and would be at the front desk for my retrieval. However, when I returned to collect my bag the front desk rep couldn’t find it. “Mr. Security” personally came to the lobby area found the bag and gave it to me. That was outstanding customer service. I didn’t have any cash to tip him, but he truly deserves your recognition for going far beyond the call of duty!
Yes, my stay was wonderful. I look forward to returning and staying longer. My only complaint is the low quality towels in the rooms. They are thin, worn, and rough. One of them was torn around the edges, with trim detached. I would expect plush, fluffy towels in such a modern and swanky establishment. Please consider upgrading the towels to match the exquisite bathroom style. (Tim responded that they have hired a new linen company to provide plush terry products. Problem resolved.)
I appreciate your request for my feedback. I trust that my comments are well received and helpful. Thanks for the inquiry and have a fabulous Friday.
Warmest regards.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,111)

Reviewed June 10, 2010

This W is trendy. The rooms are different from your average hotel room. Bit on the pricey side. No breakfast places around. Has conference room and swimming pool so good for business traveler. Very friendly staff

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank zoom2anil
Reviewed June 9, 2010

The W is trendy and very nice. The room really is amazing mainly because it is so different from your average hotel room. The staff were all friendly and I don't have anything bad to say about the hotel. However I do think you pay a lot of the ambience as there are not many extras included.
I tried to find somewhere outside the hotel for breakfast on Saturday morning, but I walked a 3 block radius and could not find anything. I ended up back at the W Express Cafe which is really just the BLT restaurant to go. I got 2 bagels with cream cheese and 2 orange juices for $25. The same menu is available for room service as well.
As much as those prices irritated me, I guess you don't come to a luxury hotel in downtown Atlanta and expect low prices.
Again the W is very nice and I had no complaints.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2010

This hotel is somewhat ridiculous. For one thing it is utterly, completely, deeply purple and it tries very hard to be hip. Thus, it has a certain cartoonish charm, like a poser Barney the Purple Dinosaur. The rooms are dark, the mini bar is amazing, and yes there is an intimacy kit with a screw on it (clever). If you can handle a certain amount of obnoxious pseudo hipster posturing then you should really give this place a shot. At some point in my stay it became sort of entertaining, it was a lot like being around a very image concious friend, you want to tell them not to try so hard that you like them just the way they are. It is not often though that you hear Serge Gainsbourg while swimming on top of a building during a business trip, or that you leave your conference room for a moment only to realize that the hotel is playing Four Tet. So it does indeed get credit for making the business travelling experience more interesting and surprising. The restaurant in the hotel is excellent, staff is very friendly, and the amenities are wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 10, 2010

This hotel was absolutely fantastic! Friendly and super helpful staff -- my room was great. I had to check in early which was no problem -- everything was fantastic. The Bliss spa was also great -- very relaxing, soothing and took away my wok worries! The manager was particiularly helpful with all my questions and needs!

MUST RETURN!! Definitley worth the money to stay here!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 8, 2010

I usually prefer to stay in Hilton hotels when I'm traveling, but got a good rate at the W through a conference I was attending. I absolutely LOVED this hotel. The staff were incredibly attentive and efficient. The room was comfy and had everything I wanted. I loved the style of the place. The bartender was good. The food was good.

I would live at the W if I could...

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2010

I have spent thousands of nights in hotel rooms of one type or another over the years, but this place was one of me more unusual properties I've ever visited. Like other reviews on this site I found the rooms dark beyond words - there was not enough light to read the complimentary paper that I received on one day, but not the other. The exposed shower/tub that other posters mentioned was indeed very disconcerting. I avoided the extensive array of items for sale in the room, but did have to pay $2.00 for a travel-sized bottle of hairspray, which was available from the front desk. My room had three different maintenance issues that were addressed by three different technicians in three different visits. My request to replace the heavy duvet with it’s unpleasant feeling cover required four phone calls in one day. They brought me a twin-sized comforter that had been washed so often that it was noticeably faded, but extremely soft. Too bad I was sleeping in a queen-sized bed.

Connected with my job duties, which meant spending considerable time in the lobby, I found the front desk staff to be polite and helpful, but was confused in recognizing exactly who were the staff members since they were fashionable dressed young people who were not in uniform nor wearing any type of name badges or other identifying insignia and were constantly shifting positions and duties.

The BLT restaurant food quality was good enough but expensive and did indeed have a limited menu. They also provide the room service for the hotel. A room service hamburger with fries costs $28.00 with tax and delivery fee included in that total. It did come with a fancy cover over the plate though. If the Mellow Mushroom restaurant next door had still been open at that late hour, I would have dined there.

The location of the W is on the outer fringes of downtown. I walked to the Hyatt on a couple of occasions as well as to the Georgia Aquarium. Being from Florida, the hills were a bit of a challenge, but I never felt unsafe on the streets. The MARTA station is only 5 minutes walk from the hotel and was very convenient for moving around the city and accessing the airport.

I can see the appeal of this type of hotel to a certain demographic, but personally I would not visit again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business