“Stay Away.....An honest fair review”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of W Atlanta Downtown

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #58 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
myrtle beach
“Stay Away.....An honest fair review”
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Please read before booking this hotel! This is a fair and honest review with nothing but facts. I booked my stay through hotels.com for 2 nights. I called the hotel 2 days before arrival to make sure that my room type (2 queen beds) and non smoking preference would be honored. As many travelers know it is not guaranteed when booking with other sites not directly affiliated with the hotel. When I called the W I was told that it would not be a problem to honor my request. When I arrived I checked in and was escorted by the bellman to my room. The room was incorrect. I was placed in a king bed room on a smoking floor. The bellman directed us to stay in the room and he would go to the front desk and get our “new room keys”. After 15 minutes the man returned and stated that I would need to go back to the front desk as there was “a problem”. I traveled again with ALL of our luggage back downstairs to the front desk and the young lady who checked us in acted as if she knew nothing about the situation. I explained to her the reservation and handed her my confirmation which stated my room type and smoking preference. She told me that since I did not book directly through the W hotel that they were unable to guarantee my room. I explained to her that I had called and this was not to be a problem. She left me at the desk for about 5 minutes to speak with her manager…who never bothered to come out and speak to us himself. She walked out of the office and handed me my reservation paper and stated that they would basically do me a favor this time but that I need to read my reservation papers better. She had a patronizing attitude and was EXTEREMLY RUDE. When we arrived in our room the light in the hallway was burned out and the shower liner was mildewed . We decided that we would try to make the best of it. We had a lovely dinner at BLT restaurant and did sleep well in the comfortable beds. The next day we went to the front desk to ask for walking directions to the Atlanta Civic Center ( fabulous Dianna exhibit) we were told “ I am not sure we don’t have many guests that would go there.” again ATTITUDE! They acted as if it was beneath them to offer such directions. BTW the Civic center is 5 blocks from the hotel. I find it HARD to believe that they did not know how to get there. We were gone from our room from 9 am until 450 pm. We arrived back to a dirty room. When I inquired at the front desk about the room (trash overflowing, no clean sheets etc.) I was told that they “styled rooms from 7-5 and that they would get to my room when they could. ATTITUDE! That was it…I asked to speak to the manager. He informed me by phone that he would be up to my room in 10-15 minutes…..One hour later after a second call to the front desk…the manager arrived and basically offered no apologizes for the staff or the condition of the room. What he did offer was this ….”We are at 98% occupancy and we are doing the best we can do. Since you booked at hotels.com we guarantee nothing to you but a room. After much excuses and debates (everyone at this hotel is argumentative) he offered us free in room dining , a movie on the TV and a drink at the hotel bar while our room was being styled. After the room was cleaned I was told to pick up the phone and call for the in room dining. Guess what? The phone was magically not working. I had to use my cell phone and call the front desk. I was told that they would have “engineering” come fix the phone ( they never came…big surprise) I was also told by the front desk that they knew my meal was being given to me free and what can we get you. Attitude…..I mean do they not do any training on how to speak to guests? The food arrived and it was good (from BLT) the new shower liner was hung, but it was about 4 inches to short and water was all over the floor. I could go on and on about the comments made by hotel staff. They are basically not well trained and rude. I called hotels.com and was placed on hold while they called the hotel. When the lady from hotels.com came back on the line she stated “Wow they are rude.”….so I guess it is just the W way.
They have a saying at the W…Whatever Whenever…This applies to the staff and not the guest. It means whatever the hotel feels like providing you with and whenever they feel like doing it. I have traveled all over the world and stayed in Hotels that were far less expensive than this with much better service. I felt like I was in the twilight zone…this Hotel just does not get it…..they have zero customer service. I Have never been so ready to check out of a hotel in my life. BTW the movie was on our bill……so much for honoring the comp

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank scnurseMyrtleBeach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Olney MD
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Honestly, I was expecting to be wowed..for the book price, It was a stressful trip and I was looking forward to one night of great accomodation and rest...I think it was way too over priced. Nice and interesting deco - modern..but room was a bit too dark for me. with list price of $300+ per night was surprised to pay $5+ per hr for internet, no free newspaper, no breakfast..way too pricey. Nice bar upstairs, friendly staff an very good band played.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank sierra0707
Reviewed January 18, 2010

From the time I checked in, to the time I checked out, I felt welcome. I was greeted by the bellman Kevin who was the most stylish bellhop I had ever seem and he'd helped me to my room, and gave me a run down of the hotel. BLT served a great dinner and hotel was a great location for the places I needed to go. Definitely, this hotel is geared towards couples and people staying alone. Not for children.

The checkout process was quick and easy as I was greeted by Kevin again who assisted in helping me with my luggage . I will be back

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank Thebigcity33
South Carolina
Reviewed January 9, 2010

The first shock is when you enter the dark cave that is the lobby. The first assumption is that you are in the garage valet parking desk. Unfortuantely, the dark disco scene is found throughout the hotel. Imagine sleeping in an Abercrombies with the blaring music.

Then comes the room... if you are traveling on business and sharing a room with another person, you might want to be aware that you are on view through a glass wall into the bedroom as you shower. Awkward.

I loved the the flat screened tv but the extras like condoms and lube made me glad I wasn't on a family vacation. I loved the Westin bed but definitely will limit my Westin bed experiences in the future to a regular Westin - Not a W!!!

For dinner we tried BLT. Ok but definetly not the best in Atlanta in its price range.

I'm not sure what this hotel is trying to be but I was very dissapointed. Rude, arrogant staff.. dark, dreary and depressing... It made me feel dirty.

Try to imagine the Le Parker Meridian in New York if it were being run as a bordello. Any attempt to create a cool atmosphere like the La Parker Meridan is ruined by the sleazy dark excesses that are the W in downtown Atlanta. Never again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank aikenme
Atlanta
Reviewed January 6, 2010

Our daughter's wedding was in this hotel on Jan 2. Both the ceremony and the reception were in the hotel. The staff was great! The venue was great! The rooms for my wife and me and our out of town guests were great. The W is everything we could have wanted for a wedding - venue, rooms, views, location, spa, BLT restaurant, photo ops and it is the easiest hotel in Atlanta to get to and from.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Georgia
Reviewed January 1, 2010

Was in town for the Chick-fil-A Bowl and decided to treat myself to a luxury hotel. The W Downtown exceeded my expectations.

• Liked — Lobby
  • Disliked — Liked everything!
  • Stayed December 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
Reviewed December 14, 2009

This hotel is amazing! From the rooms to the people who work there. Everyone was as nice as they can be and very helpful. The rooms were awesome and up to date with the latest and greatest technology. The bar downstairs was alive with tons of people just having a great time. We partied until the weeeee hours of the morning. All in all a great night and the W made it just that more special. I will defiantly stay there again!!

SMF