“The Four Seasons... for 22 Year Olds.”
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #58 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 16, 2009

My parents and I stayed here for a quick get together while I was in the area and I booked this stay through Hotwire to get the cheaper rate. We had two rooms and both had issues. The snack bar and fridge in my parents room had been "raided." The chips and peanuts were actually opened and someone had ate some. A couple other items were also opened and there were a lot of items just plain missing. The reason we knew they were missing is because my room was fully stocked, but the Maker's Mark in my room was opened and someone had taken a swig from it. The duvet in my room had a LARGE stain on it. Larger than my hand. I mentioned it to the front desk and they sent someone up to change it out, but the fact that the housekeeping staff (or as they call it at W, "room stylist") thought it was OK to leave that duvet with that stain on it is worrisome.

The hotel itself is like most W's, posh and hip, but this is only on the surface. I am in the hospitality industry and notice a lot of little things. There were plenty of nicks, scratches, dents, dings and holes in walls, furniture and carpets. The halls are dark, which I suspect is to make the hotel seem "cool" and to hide the dirt.

I had to knock on my neighbor's door and ask them to turn down their music around 11pm and my parents had to call the front desk at 1:30am to complain about some folks making a racket in the hallway.

The service was OK and the staff listened to what we had to say (I showed the photo of the stain to the front desk clerk), but their responses seemed a tad insincere.

If you're in your 20s (or act like it) and care more about the hipness of a hotel, rather than actual service, this may be the place for you, but next time I'm staying at the adult hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009

Reviewed August 13, 2009

I stayed at the W hotel over a 6 week stretch for business. The newly built hotel lives up to the WOW factor that the W likes to provide. I made contact with the Business Sales Director, Carrie Howard, and she assured that me and my team had our needs taken care of. Carrie and her staff showed great customer service at ALL times. From the valets to the GM, everyone was great. Carrie took the time to introduce us to the GM and allowed us to provide feedback on our experience. I highly recommend the hotel and if you require business assistance, contact Carrie Howard.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I had a great visit to Atlanta this week and stayed at the W Atlanta – downtown for two nights. For starters, I drove into the circular driveway and valet parked the car. Yes, it was $30/night, kinda stiff, but fine I agreed to take on the convenience of getting the car safely on-demand. There is a pay lot across the street that is only $5/night, but its unattended and I did not want take on the risk.

Check-in was easy and quick. A gentleman checked me in (first name started with a T), and was efficient and informative about the hotel. As an SPG Gold Member, I was upgraded from a wonderful to a spectacular room. To be honest, I’m not sure about the difference between the two. The room was very nice and spacious. Beautiful tiled bathroom and large shower area. The bedroom was ample and the signature W Bed was very comfortable. In the morning, the hotel offers free coffee in the bar area and some quick breakfast items for pay. The workout room is on the 16th floor and has nice views of Atlanta Downtown. My colleagues checked out the pool and had good things to say about it. In terms of lounging which is part of the W experience, I liked the environment a bit better at the W – Midtown. However, the W Downtown met my desire for style and comfort. Overall, the staff was very polite and hospitable. I will have to stay again soon.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 4, 2009

They have a great restaurant and bar too. The hotel is located right downtown, they have free Acura shuttles within 2 miles and the staff is terriffic.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We stayed at the W Atlanta Downtown on Friday, July 17th and Saturday, July 18th. First, let me give you a short bio on myself and wife to get a feel for the type of people we are which may help but my review a bit more into perspective:

My wife and I are in our late 20's, I work for a major media company and can be a bit hyper-critical about certain things because of the nature of my job so when you read my review, keep that in mind because certain things that bothered me may not be an issue to you.. We both enjoy sports, art, great food, and really anything that can be fun. I believe in giving a thorough review instead of just two or three sentences of the good or bad so people like you can get a true feel for the hotel in question, just because someone does one thing right doesn't warrant a 5 star review to me.

First, just a quick overview of our stay and then below you will find additional details broken out by category:

The hotel is very modern and trendy is design which sometimes overtakes functionality. Our room was spacious but for being a fairly new hotel had some design flaws/issues and looked kind of worn down. Room service was very pricey but food was tasty. Concierge was worthless and unable to provide us with really anything we were looking for. The bartenders are OK but seem to have a chip on their shoulder. Valet Parking was the most I have ever paid in any city. We have stayed at many Starwood owned properties before, this was our first W experience and from what I can tell the “W” stand for “Wallet” as in Make Sure you Bring your “Wallet” because you will be spending. I expect to pay more for drinks, room service, etc. But the W takes it beyond what I thought was acceptable. My wife and I had a great time in Atlanta in general but I don't know that I would return to the W Downtown. It is a boutique style hotel that is all about looks not service or guest experience.

Check-In:
I had called early Friday morning to request early check-in and was told it wouldn't be a problem so my wife and I left a bit earlier than we had planned and arrived around 12:30 pm and check-in was quick and hassle-free.

Lobby Area/The Living Room:
The décor throughout the hotel is trendy, modern, contemporary, and somewhat reminded me of hotels in Miami with the modern flair. Dark hard woods make up the check-in desk and concierge area in the lobby. The lobby bar, known as the The Living Room was nice and spacious, however, the majority of the seating are large sectional sofa's and not private tables or area's. We went to The Living Room Bar Friday night after we returned from the Braves game, around Midnight. We were the only two people in there which was a surprise. While my wife and I are not fans of loud, crowded bars we weren't really feeling it since there was no nightlife whatsoever.

Wetbar:
This bar is very deceiving based on the website description. This is supposed to be the bar by the pool, it is next to the pool but actually indoors. The pool area is nice at night, didn't get up there during the day, but very limited seating around the pool. I would say roughly 20 chairs total outside by the pool for a hotel that has 237 guest rooms. The bar area normally has it's doors open to the pool area but don't assume you will be seating right next to the pool while at the bar. We went up to the Wetbar around 9:00 pm on Saturday night and got the last two chairs so if you have plans of checking this bar out and want to sit outside, make sure you are there early from what I can tell.

Guestroom:
The room was spacious, but it was a Studio Suite. There was a long desk area along the wall with plenty of room to spread out paper work, setup a computer, etc. There were floor to ceiling windows making up the majority of the walls, since the Studio Suites are corner rooms. The sectional sofa by the windows was very hard and hand a hard curve, almost a half circle type shape that made it hard to get comfortable. The plasma TV was a nice, nothing special. One thing of note, if you turn the volume down on the TV after you turn it off it automatically resets the volume to be very loud. It was annoying because of how loud it was when you first turn it on. The bed was very, very soft. My wife loved it and slept very well. Me on the other hand have had a couple major back surgeries and did not sleep well at all. The beds are just like the Westin Heavenly Beds since it is the same company but actually a bit softer. If you have a bad back, think twice about this hotel unless you want to sleep on the floor or hard sofa for support. The décor was charcoal and teal in color throughout. The room has a large compliment of snacks and a decent selection in the mini-bar. The bathroom was nice with a large walk-in shower and a decent flowing shower head. The lighting is very poor in the bathroom, there were just two mirror length lights of a very low wattage and two recessed lights that gave out very little light as well. The toilet area was behind frosted glass, with a frosted glass door. The door that closes off the bathroom from the rest of the room is a pocket door. The door was extremely heavy, very very loud and I could barely get it pushed open. The sinks are vessel sinks on a white marble slab, which is set about a 1 ½ feet too low in my opinion. I am 6'2” and the counter-top came up just to mid thigh and the sink almost to my waist. Very poor design in my opinion. Unless yo are 5'5” or shorter the counter is just poor ergonomic design. The room overall, I felt was nice but for a hotel that is still fairly new it was pretty beat up. The armoir did not close properly, the pocket door to the bathroom was nearly impossible to open back up after you close the door, there were several large gashes in the wall that have been “touched-up” which paint that doesn't quite match the original color. The lighting was poorly design and you can never seem to get light where you need it. Lastly, the worst feature in the room was the Air Conditioning. You needed a HVAC degree to operate it. When we first got in, the air was sit on 65 degrees, a bit cold which is normal for hotels, but we of course attempted to turn it up to 70. Well, the heat kicks on if you raise it more than 2.5 degrees of what the temperature is in the room. I wanted the room to get a bit warmer but not have the heat kick-on so you have to spend quite a bit of time tinkering with the AC controls to get it where it is comfortable.

Cleanliness:
The common areas such as the lobby and Living Room bar were spotless. The hallways leading to my room was OK, not super dirty but I think there are reasons the hallways have black carpet, dark walls, and very dim lighting. My guest room was OK, you can tell the maids do not spend a great deal of time after check out from previous guest. The glass in the bathroom was dirty and the tile floors needed to be scrubbed.

Room Service:
Anybody who has ever ordered room service knows the prices are a bit ridiculous but it is something you just accept for the convenience. Well, this hotel takes it to a whole new level. Every order you place has a 22% service fee, yes 22%! As well as a $3.50 delivery charge. So if you order an item of $10.00 it quickly becomes $15.70, and trust me you aren't finding anything for $10.00. Every time we ordered it was roughly 30-45 minutes for delivery, the order was always correct, and the food was actually very good in quality, taste, and quantity. However, in my opinion no cheeseburger is worth $18.00 plus service fee and delivery charge.

Valet Parking:
We valeted our car as we always do at hotels and expected a decent fee to be associated with it as with any other hotel in a major city, but at the W expect to pay the most you have ever paid for Valet Parking. It's $30.00 per day. That's more than I have ever paid in Miami, DC, etc. The valet guys were good about having your car ready for you provided you call down at least 5 minutes before. They were always quick and polite even at peak times, but beware they look for that tip every time you get in or out of your car.

Concierge:
I believe if you work as a Concierge you should know quite a bit about the city you are in or at the very least where to get an answer for a client should you not know. With that said, we inquired on some places to eat that were not to dressy and not to far away. The concierge's response was the restaurant that was actually in the hotel, I asked if he could provide any other places and he said that's all he knew! Are you kidding me? I knew more places than him. Not exactly great service. We called again the following night inquiring if there were any nice, outdoor lounges we could go have a couple drinks at because it was a beautiful evening, again the response we received was the bar in the hotel (not outdoors) and Mellow Mushroom (not exactly a lounge). Once again a worthless phone call.

Acura Experience:
The hotel provides free one way rides in their Acura within two miles of the hotel. Based on their website Turner Field was 2 miles from the hotel which would be within the radius they offer. When I called they said it was too far and could not take us and promptly hung up. No offer to call a taxi or offer an alternative, again service was lacking.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TattooedExecutive
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I went and stayed at the W with my girlfriend who had a meeting a show she was working at the hotel. The location is great the service was flawless. I called at 1am and needed a mp3 cord and they didnt have one. So they had someone leave and go to the store and bought. 30 mins later it was delivered to our room. I will recommened this hotel to any of my friends that come to Atlanta to visit.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 14, 2009

Stayed at the W twice in one week. The first stay I was booked in a smoking room, which was incorrect. The hallways smelled as if someone had just smoked a joint. I was then moved to another floor and the room was great, except my key would not open the door. After 3 tries, the keys still would not work. An engineer had to come to the room and fix it. This whole process took an hour. Outside of that, the stay was nice.

At check in of my second stay, I told the employee of my troubles during my last stay, and he quickly upgraded me to a fab room. (Thanks Michael!) I ate dinner with friends at the BLT Steak restaurant and the food was damn good. Steaks were delicious and the grits gorgonzola were good too. Alot of lovely ladies having dinner added to the ambiance.

The rooms at this hotel are very modern and trendy, and their isnt another hotel that matches its style that is geared toward young adults. The bar on the 16th floor is great as well.

2 Flaws: The doors that open automatically at the entrance move waaaaay to slow and you have to practically stand up against them for the sensor to work. This needs to be fixed!

I emailed the GM of the hotel to address my first stay, because I was not able to contact him at the hotel. Still have not received a response. Way to represent the W brand, pal.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends