1,264 results
All reviews bliss spa cool corner room w insider living room bar bliss products trendy hotel wet bar rooftop pool valet parking world of coca cola georgia aquarium centennial park fitness center downtown alonzo starwood atl
Selected filters
Reviewed June 27, 2015

Finally, I can post a review on this property without my full name showing up!

Why is this important?

Well, because my experience had very few good points.

The Good:
- Shaheen
- Carly
- BLT Steak (and our server, David I believe?)
- location (in ATL and near MARTA)
- return of portion of stay due to various issues

Shaheen was the person who checked my friend and I in in Aug/Sept 2014; he was amazing, and always pleasant. She personally redid our room keys twice (maybe thrice) over our stay (like FIVE days), and I always felt bad having to ask for her to do it AGAIN.

David (I think that was his name), our server at BLT, was an engaging and entertaining guy. He really gave us some help and suggestions when we were looking at the menu and talking about getting the wine flights with our meals. BLT overall was AMAZING, and I'm so glad we did that for our first meal of our stay.

MARTA was just around the block, also, so when I had to go to and from ATL during my stay it made it easy to take public transport (and therefore save money on rental/parking.

The Bad:
- did not process prepay, only took deposit
- one manager HORRIBLE to deal with
- phone not working properly upon check-in
- keys kept demagnetizing
- downgraded when changing rooms and told was being given a "credit" due to the room change
- communication after check-out regarding issues

I got a prepay rate for the stay, and so didn't even think about it when i didn't see the whole amount taken immediately. I had other stuff to think about, and surprise surprise they didn't charge the remaining amount until I checked in! This was horrible, and one of the reasons that I ended up pursuing the majority of my stay charges being refunded after my stay. PREPAY RATE MEENS FULLY CHARGED IMMEDIATELY!

Speaking of room rate, we had multiple problems with our room - the view was spectacular, but you could hear cars from the freeway, all emergency vehicles on the street, etc, FROM THE FOURTEETH FLOOR. The sink wasn't draining, our phones didn't work for the first two days... and when we moved they said we would get a discount... but it was a completely separate room category!

When we reported that we ether wanted to move rooms or go to a different W/SPG property, the concierge we had to deal with (I'm sorry, I don't remember her name) was a PILL. She looked like she didn't want to be there, didn't want to deal with us, and sent us away instead of trying to fix the issue immediately.

The valet service was also spotty - the first day we took it the guy was awesome, but it seemed like he was never there! They were also totally unwilling to help my friend in figuring how to get a taxi or other transportation back to ATL (pretty sure it was the same concierge),and told her "just to walk to the MARTA station" -she has mobility issues and that was not a acceptable solution.

The keys demagnetized FOUR TIMES during our five day stay, at least Now, most of the time they were totally helpful at getting this redone. But we changed where we were keeping the keys and no matter what they did they demagnetized! I don't know what was going on with their machines but it was NOT where we were keeping them!

Now...

...THE UGLY.

We mostly went down to the lobby bar to get breakfast, but on Saturday since I was leaving later, we ended up ordering from the catering menu in our room. I described changes I wanted for my dish, in depth, and nothing was said about the menu being new, or that the item I was ordering was different than what they had on their menu description.

The dish came up and right away I noticed something was amiss - i thought it was just my eggs and when i called down I described what I saw on my plate and the Whatever Whenever employee still didn't say anything and said they'd see what they could do, sending someone up immediately Specifically I mentioned that the dish had cheese curds and picked one up and crumbled it between my fingers.

When the person came up to pick up the dish, they mentioned the new menu and said "oh, and crab" when describing the dish. I RECOILED and washed my hands twice, for the third time in twenty minutes. I immediately told her that I was allergic to shellfish, and started getting worried. I made it clear I hadn't eaten any, but that if I had... medical bills would have been on THEM.

While I was waiting for my new dish to come back up, they called and offered a comp of this meal and 100$ credit towards in-room dining for this situation. because I wasn't feeling sick yet, I was fine. I started eating the dish when it came up and felt pretty good until about 3/4 of the way through but chalked that up to the richness of the meal.

We then went outside to wait for a shuttle to the convention we were going to and although slightly warm it wasn't bad. Then I started to feel extremely sick and nauseous, and the colour drained from my upper body. I thought it might have jsut been the heat still, so i thought I'd stay in for the day and... I wanted to collapse when I hit the front foyer AC. I DID decide to collapse a little against the front desk, because the nausea and dizziness I felt was getting worse.

I ended up providing a statement to security (I think) about what was happening, but I KNEW I had caught it early enough that I just needed water and to relax in the room most of the day. My friend was worried and so HER day was shot as well. ALL I wanted was to be allowed to drink the expensive bottled water and not be charged, but the manager on duty (I assume the concierge we dealt with) said no way, but Carly said she's get some of the Dasani free water up. But that never happened. My friend even was going to out and get Benadryl from a CVS because that would help, and Carly DID bring up some pills they had in the back. From their OWN STASH OF MEDICINES.

And you want to know what they considered compensation? 3000 SPG points. I asked for something completely different as compensation (free water at first, then refunding of all my stay charges) and have now received this (most of my stay charges). They can't tell me why the food issue happened because of their practices, and there's no official report because I didn't go to the hospital. I do know, however, that the restaurant was visited.

Telling everyone I can to not stay here, canceling my SPG acct, recommending they not stay at Starwood properties... and of course, reported the entire incident to the convention I was attending so this place can be removed from their "overflow" hotel list. Of course, I checked the convention overflow hotel list and they're still there... so if you're going to DragonCon DO NOT STAY HERE.

Date of stay: September 2014
1  Thank AerieFaeries
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2015

Hello Aerie Faeries – thank you for taking the time to review our property. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us, as we strive to improve with each and every stay. We will look into your comments and suggestions. Our goal is to have all guests leave with a great experience and the desire to return back to our property. We will be in contact with you should we need further information.

Reviewed June 23, 2015 via mobile

Came here to celebrate fiancé birthday and fathers day, check in was less than professional, clerk that checked us in asked for my credit card info just in case we consumed room incidents (ridiculous prices - Trump would be an idiot to pay $7 for 99¢ bottle of water) only to find later that morning my card was debited $100. I had to inquire to find out. My question, if card on file, debit as u go but just take without asking?? Major no-no. For that nightly price, there is NO free wifi in individual room either. I should not be mandated to lobby to browse free for that price. The Red Roof Inn gives free wifi. Hell Mega Bus offer free wifi. Now at check out the clerk says great no incidentals consumed we were clear of that charge only to see a $6 debit from the W. The principles behind this amazes me, lack of communication is the bedrock of deception and be hard pressed to utilize hotel again.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank KeithC2253
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property! I will definitely share your comments with our Talent! I appreciate you staying with us and look forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2015

I stayed at the W Atlanta Downtown checking-in on June 13th. I selected the W based off the room style. The classic/basic look that is offered from other hotel/resorts doesn't appeal to me. I absolutely loved the look and feel for this property from the entry/public areas to the room. Check-In process was easy - had some issues with the mobile app using the phone to unlock the door; however, it wasn't a big deal so I didn't bring it up and I was only there for one evening. Spent the evening in the lounge downstairs which was very well decorated. Although, I was told this property is a little further away from attractions I was still quite impressed on how close everything was and the walking distance to everything was perfect. Would certainly visit/stay at this property again.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2015

Thank you for sharing your review of our hotel for future travelers. We are located in the center of downtown, which is in walking distance of all of the major attractions – GA Aquarium, Centennial Park, World of Coke and Phillips Arena. I am glad you appreciated our décor within the hotel. I hope the next time you travel to Atlanta, you stay with us again.

Reviewed June 14, 2015 via mobile

Today was our anniversary. We have been planning our trip to the W in downtown Atlanta since February.
Upon arriving at the hotel the valet men were completely oblivious. WE HAD TO CHASE THEM DOWN TO GIVE THEM OUR CAR KEYS!
We then proceeded with the check-in process. At the desk we were told they would not honor the rate we booked 4 months ago, even though we had all the necessary paperwork to get said rate.
At this point we decided to stay at another hotel.
The valet men had just parked our car but it took them at least twenty minutes to retrieve it. When they pulled our car around we noticed he had stalled it. Even worse as we got in our car we noticed it smelled like it was on fire!! Whoever drove it clearly COULD NOT DRIVE A MANUAL VEHICLE!!!!! He all but BURNT THE CLUTCH TO A CRISP!!!! My husband politely asked to speak with the manager of valet. The young men simply stared at us. He went on to say that the prominent burning smell emitting from our vehicle was not only abnormal but unacceptable. The valet men continued to stare at us as if they could not speak english!!
We eventually drove off, entirely disgusted with the service we received in the hotel and out in Valet.
HOW CAN YOU HIRE VALLET PERSONNEL WHO CANNOT OPPERATE MANUAL VEHICLES!!!!!! That is driving 101!!! And to just stare at us.. not even apologize, or try to amend the situation! NO customer service skills whatsoever and no sense.
We went on to check-in at another hotel where we were taken care of in a way that surpassed all expectations. We would like to warn anyone staying at the W of the valet men, they are completely incompetent and we will never again let them tend to any of our vehicles manual or otherwise. We suggest you do the same.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wesleyswoman

Greetings Wesleywoman – Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property.

Your input, and the feedback from all of our guests is vitally important to us and we always want guest expectations to be met upon arrival.

Per your comments, we have addressed your concerns with our Wheels Department and will take necessary steps to improve our service.

Reviewed June 12, 2015

Good downtown location and views from upper floors, comfortable beds, and friendly staff, but the room was not worth the premium price. Disappointments:

Room appeared clean but didn't smell so clean,,, had that lived-in, musty odor common to 2-star hotels.

Furniture and decor was also old, needed updating.

This hotel gets limited TV channels in HD because they subscribe to the cheap, basic package. Was looking forward to watching a much-anticipated Monday Night Football game, but when I turned to the channel it was on, learned that it was only available in standard, super-low definition.. it looked like crap. They definitely need to modernize both their TV's and TV programming reception.

Shower head was WAY TOO LOW regardless of angle adjustment (I'm not tall), and the water pressure was VERY weak.

No exhaust fan in bathroom.

Toilet had a minor leak at the base, had standing water behind/beside toilet.

There's a large, translucent, frosted glass window between the wall in the bathroom where the shower is, and the opposing room wall. If you're just there with your significant other, no problem. But if you don't want anyone in the room to be able to clearly see your silhouette and your every move from the knees up, you're out of luck... it's showtime!

What most hotels offer free for continental breakfast, they charge airport pricing for... only coffee and teas are free.

Just too many disappointments for this price range. We'll never stay at this hotel again.

Date of stay: October 2014
1  Thank James C
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2015

Thank you for staying with us. We take all comments very seriously. Our property is in the process of undergoing a refresh. We would love to have you back and see all the wonderful new things we will have place. When you come back to Atlanta, please stay with us again.