“Great Atmosphere and Style, Service needs work!!” 3 of 5 bubbles

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #58 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charleston
“Great Atmosphere and Style, Service needs work!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

This hotel is ultra hip and chic, I really enjoyed the style and the colors. The rooms were adorable! When I arrived at 7:00pm my room was not ready on a Friday night! Then I had to wait until one was available. I listed on my reservation my request for a high floor and this was not recognized either. When he told me my room was on the fifth floor I was upset. He then said they had another room on the 15th floor, which was given to me at a higher cost ( which I will be contacting the general manager). Each time I came back and forth the valet attendants asked if I was staying here! Not attentive at all. The best experiences were at the bars and in room service. The pool was not heated either as stated on the website... I love to stay with Starwood and am a Prefered Guest member as well, so I will probably give them another try later this summer...

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank cuteyk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

I stayed at the W Hotel in Downtown Atlanta with my boyfriend for Valentine's weekend. It was amazing! We stayed in the cool corner room, which had two large walls of windows. Staying on the 8th floor gave us a wonderful view of downtown Atlanta. The style and decoration of the hotel was very modern and interesting. I personally loved it! The staff was very helpful and accommodating throughout our weekend. Especially on Valentine's Day- we went out for dinner in Atlanta but decided to come back and enjoy the hotel bars. I decided around 11pm that I wanted dessert but the restaurant was of course packed and had stopped serving food. One of the staff members managed to get us a seat at the bar and I got my wonderful dessert (and chocolate martini!).

The Spa was beautiful! We had spa treatments Saturday morning. My favorite part of the weekend! Also all of the products in the room our from Bliss Spa which was also very nice.

The gym is great! (I spent most of my time in Atlanta eating so I had to make it to the gym one day!) Although some parts of the gym still looked a little "under contrustion", the view and equipment were great!

Overall the trip was excellent and our stay was wonderful! A great location, beautiful hotel, and friendly staff! It helped that we found a special rate online, even if we had paid the full price for the room it would have been worth every penny! I would recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to enjoy a luxurious weekend in Atlanta.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KP623
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

Stayed two nights at the New W Atlanta Downtown. Great location. Everything is new so that was nice. Hallway and paint colors a bit too dark for my taste. First time I stayed at a W Hotel so thought the decor and furnishings were quite interesting. Not your typical hotel decor. Stayed in a King size bed room which I thought was a bit small. The phones did not seem to work so was hard trying to call front desk. Large flat screen TV but either TV or remote was slow trying to change stations. Ordered a movie and movie would pause quite often so you would miss dialogue. Shower has glass that opens to bed area. Water temperature was hard to adjust and not a lot of pressure from shower head. Comforter was not very soft. Maybe a lot of my complaints are because the hotel had only been open for about three weeks. I do have to say everyone was very courteous.

• Stayed February 2009
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2009

This hotel had been open about ten days when I stayed there for one night. I had a beautiful corner room with two full walls of windows. I loved the decor and some of the accessories - like the white leather desk pad and the acrylic tape dispenser (which was not dispensing any tape but looked cool). The hotel only offered ($30) valet parking but it looked like there might have been some other options close by. The location was very convenient to I - 75/85. My room was not ready when I got there at 4:30 but they ushered me to the bar and gave me a complimentary cocktail while I waited. Everyone was very friendly when I checked in - somewhat less so when I checked out.
There was no guest services directory in the room so I wished that I had paid more attention to the details they rattled off at check-in. They said the pool and fitness center (on an upper floor) were open 24 hours.
As usual at W's the bed was wonderful. The towels were very soft. The bathroom in my room was large with a large glass shower, separate toilet area and two sinks with a lot of counter space. No bathtub. A very small travel hair dryer. The closet was small and bit hard to maneuver with the ironing board, drawers, safe, and two robes hanging in it.
I love W's and I loved many things about this one. Two complaints though - neither of which I realized till the morning. There were two glasses sitting on the little cardboard coasters on the bathroom counter. One looked fine. The other was stained with something brownish in color and the coaster was also brownish. It was turned upside down and sitting in exactly the same position as the clean one. No glass could be that dirty after only ten days. Something "happened to it" and housekeeping didn't notice how disgusting it looked.
The real disappointment for me was the showerhead. From the first W I stayed in I have been hooked on their showers. This one had no way to adjustment the stream and the spray was sparse. It was like there were inches in between the water drops and it felt like it was very hard to get wet.
The bad shower was such a near deal breaker for me that I will try the Midtown and Buckhead W's in Atlanta before going back to this one.
One more annoyance - there was no quick way to get a boarding pass printed. I was told to fill out a form with the info, leave it with the concierge and the pass would be available three hours before my flight.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Nemokota
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2009

Just finished a 5 night stay at the W Downtown Atlanta. The hotel just opened for 2 weeks ago, so I expected things to not run so smoothly. Pulling up to the hotel is quite impressive- beautiful glassy tower in central downtown location. Lobby has a cool design with very high quality materials. At check-in I was informed category booked was unavailable and that prepaid rate through Starwood site not noted in my reservation. Concierge bought me a drink while they found another room and when I got to my room, she personally brought a very yummy dessert from the restaurant. Nice touches, but there was no follow up on the fact that I didn't get the room type I wanted. Room itself was very attractive, lots of dark woods, lavender and purple walls and nice bathroom tiling (think Thompson LES.) The rooms are very small, even the higher categories, and mine had a bit of an awkward layout (couldn't open the closet door without closing off the walkway to the beds. Nice chaise lounge, but no more than 12-24 inches between each piece of furniture. Food at the hotel is uneven, undercooked eggs at breakfast and no late night dining option. Mini-bar not consistently restocked.
Here's where it gets good: Drinkshop on the 2nd floor might be one of the best bars I've ever been to in my life. Super fresh ingredients, classic cocktails and amazingly knowledgeable bar staff. THEY CLEARLY KNOW AND LOVE WHAT THEY ARE DOING HERE!
Bliss Spa staff were also well trained and super friendly. Made me feel very welcome.
I look forward to going back to this hotel in a couple of months, I suspect things will go more smoothly.

• Liked — Drinkshop on the 2nd floor, especially Angie and Jason.
  • Disliked — Lack of dining options, and foodservice in general.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank GlobalDavidG