“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for two nights on a business trip.

Upon arrival we were greeted cab side. They helped unload our luggage, made small talk with us, and welcomed us. Upon walking in, there was plenty of staff, all welcoming us. Check in was fantastic. Very friendly, gave us a newsletter, pointed out features of the hotel, etc. Very impressed!

Many of the previous reviews will indicate that the lighting is dim. Well, I would say yes it is, however it is perfect for the style of this hotel. This is what the designers and the hotel ambience is about. Dark walls, dark floor tile, modern furniture and "mood" lighting. Here's a hint - open your blinds, and sun shade. Then turn on all the lamps. There is "ambient" lighting behind the beds. Look for the black wall switches on the dark colored walls. Some have a toggle style dimmer; make sure it’s all the way up. We found turning on all the lights etc, there was plenty of light and we had no problems. - The TV remote is a little slow, but didn't find that to be a problem at all.

Overall the room was great. Bed and pillows are very comfy! I'd stay here again for sure. Here are some things that are well, I thought not so great.
1.) There is no hook up for your smart phone unless you bring an aux cord (head phone jack style on both ends). The radio is a turn dial, and while they tried to mix old with new, this was a fail. I can't remember the last time I had to "tune-in" to a radio station.
2.) Limited outlets. Only two outlets I could find, both of them were on lamps (1 each) there is another one though below the floor lamp. - With this being a newer hotel, they need to have charging strips to allow people to plug in lap tops, phones, ipads, etc. If you have a lot to charge, you'll have them all over the room unless you call them for a power strip!
3.) Thin walls. Didn't know think walls between rooms, however walls are thin (actually not insulated at all) between bathroom and bedroom. Also, very little insulation from hallway noise to room.
4.) Time for some paint touch up, cleaning! - The problem with these dark posh colors is you can see water stains, and dirt very easily. Anything dark is hard to clean, but if they want it dark the hotel needs to accept the responsibility in making sure every square inch is perfect. - The bathroom area had spots on the tile, areas on the walls need a fresh coat of paint, and I found lots of dust in parts of the room that would have gone unnoticed if they had used a different color. This is the biggest turn off to this place is that because of its dark color choices, it’s not as clean as it should be. If it had been cleaner, this would be a 5 star rating no problem.

If you get a chance to visit either bar, they are great! - The Drinkshop used to be a hoppin place, but now they changed formats. It’s pretty much a dive. No one there, very dull and boring. You're better off with the bar on the main level - they have a DJ on the weekends and play great music. Get an appetizer as it comes from BLT Steak in the hotel, great food!!

Green Features: If you choose to forgo getting new towels etc, they will give you 500 bonus points on your reward program.
1 Thank RealisticMike
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for your review! This review was very detailed and probably very helpful to other fellow travelers. I’m glad you enjoyed the design of the hotel and found the rooms to be spacious and the bed comfortable. Thank you for your feedback – we do appreciate your constructive comments regarding the hotel and look forward to discussing these suggestions with our team. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Vicksburg, Mississippi
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Normally, I stay at the Ritz but decided to try something new...and I am glad I did because for a week I had the greatest experience of my life. W Atlanta Downtown made me feel safe, pampered and well cared for. I recommend this as a great stay for those who are on business trips, romantic getaways, etc. I will say again the service was impeccable. The Staff was always helpful and able to assist with any question or problem that arose in seconds. For instance, I wanted a microwave for my week there. Well in minutes, they brought one up to my room. Also, I must say my favorite Staff member was Travis. This was my first trip to Atlanta and Travis made sure I got to my business symposium for the week in class and in style. I definitely will be staying at the W Atlanta Downtown in the future. Thanks Everyone! Gina

Room Tip: Very beautiful rooms with excellent layouts and very quiet.
1 Thank kitten0424
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you Gina for making us your new hotel of choice. I am extremely proud of our team and I will share your comments with Travis and the entire staff. We want W Atlanta Downtown to feel like your home away from home. We look forward to having you as our guest again. Cheers!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I adore your hotel & luv your staff..... The Corner Suite is always available....(Hopefully for my birthday I can get the Extreme WoW Suite hint hint.. LOL) The staff was awesome as usual.... Yvette,Vickki oh & Matty (Beautiful Freckles) and the Valet Service is Top Notch!!!! & the young lady.... forgot her name, she is expecting though... kept me laughing..... and I almost forgot about KiKi at the Living Room Bar.... great service...... Great time at your hotel...!

MJ Spearman

Room Tip: Corner Suite High Floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you MJ for this 5 star review! I’m glad you enjoyed your Cool Corner room and next time you should definitely get the EWOW Suite. You will love it! I look forward to sharing your kind words with Yvette, Vicki, Matty, Kiki and our Valet Team. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. Until next time. Cheers!
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I ALWAYS expect the best service, comfortability, dining experience etc. from all W Hotels but particularly this property as it is one of my favorites. Because my expectations are so high, you always meet them with flying colors. Special mention to Yvette Prindle who ensured that no stone was left unturned with respect to my plans during our stay.

It began with the WOW Suite being unexpectedly ready for my early arrival (1pm). We attended the Alvin Ailey dance performance and enjoyed a lift via the driver/Acura provided by the property. We returned in time for dinner at BLT (one of the best restaurants in the city) at 5:30. The ribeye & lobster was impeccable, as was the rack of lamb that my fiancé enjoyed. The wine sommelier selected the perfect bottle of wine for our meal. We were greeted by Scott, the manager of BLT to personally welcome us for dinner and ensure all of our dining needs were met.

After dinner, Pablo (W Insider) waited for us by the elevator. The surprise worked perfect as my fiancé had no idea what was going on!! We were escorted to the rooftop where our 4-seat helicopter was waiting. The pilot and co-pilot had a bottle of champagne and two flutes for us to enjoy during the ride. We toured the entire city for 35-40 minutes.

Upon our return, we danced the night away courtesy of the DJ in the spacious lobby of the property. Brian mixed the perfect cocktails. The bed was heavenly of course. The next morning room service was swift and accurate with the order for breakfast. Due to our gold status, we were allotted late checkout at 4pm so we spent the day relaxing in the suite with incredible views of the city. It was a clear day so we could see beyond Buckhead/Sandy Springs.

I know this is a long review but I just wanted to take the time to let the entire staff know how memorable they collectively made our special weekend. Cheers to you all!

Kind Regards,

Tally M. Downton

Green Features: If you are an "SPG" member, you earn an additional 250 points/day for each day you do NOT need to have your room serviced.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you Tally for this wonderful review. I’m glad you were able to enjoy your experience at BLT Steak and the Living Room. Brian, our mixologist really knows how to make the perfect cocktail! We love making sweet memories for our guests and I’m glad the helicopter ride was such a nice surprise. It’s also good to know that you enjoyed the view from your WOW Suite and you were able to attain a wonderful night’s sleep. We receive great feedback from guests on our W Pillow Top Beds. They are available at our online store if you would like to experience the same comfort at home! I’m glad to hear that we were able to accommodate your early arrival and I sincerely appreciate your comments about our talent. I will be sure to share your feedback with Yvette, Scott, Pablo-Andres, and Brian. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Stayed two nights on a business trip. Hotel is centrally located, close to the train, etc. The room was modern and spacious, but the shower was not private (in the middle if the room surrounded by a glass wall). Not a problem for a solo traveler, but not a room configuration for everyone. The food in the restaurant was excellent and the lounge was a fun place t hang out in the evening. Nice place

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank cmbtravel1
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We're so glad you enjoyed our central location. The shower configuration you mentioned is only in the Wonderful and Fabulous rooms with king beds. Our rooms with two queen beds have a completely opaque glass wall and a door for more privacy. I’m glad you were able to enjoy your experience at BLT Steak, and the Living Room. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Lake Tahoe
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Decided to check out this W location as I usually like their hotels. It was also walking distance to my peachtree plaza office location. Hotel entrance is jammed by freeway on ramp traffic at rush hour. There would have been no way to break into the drive without the police officer out front to direct traffic. Noise of honking horns was loud in my room but died down quickly. Pluses for this location are the large gym/pool on the 16th floor and the excellent BLT Steak in the hotel. Had a corner studio suite. Nice large room. Only drawback is that it faced the adjacent E&Y offices in the building. Windows next to bed and bath facing the offices would only be good for an exibitionist. Thankfully there were solid blinds. Another issue is the room was worn out in many places. Old carpet, stained couch, lots of dings in the furniture, and burnt out light bulbs. Time for an update of these things management. Room service is excellent and fast. Giving it a very good as service made up for the tired room furnishings.

Room Tip: Studio suit has lots of spread out, relax, or party.
1 Thank SPGwanderlust
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you for your review. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while parking. I sincerely appreciate your constructive comments about the guest room. It’s our goal to exceed every guests expectations and I am disappointed that we fell short. Please contact me directly at gmchristoper.cannon@whotels.com so you can provide me your room number and I can tell you about our plans for new renovations to our guest rooms. Thank you again for your review. I hope to speak to you soon.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I travel weekly and I always stay at W Hotels if one is available in the city. I'm usually in Atlanta at least a couple times a month and used to always stay at this location. However, I stopped staying here b/c my SPG Platinum status was barely ever recognized. I NEVER received upgraded rooms despite them seeming to be available from the reservations site. So I started staying at Midtown location.

However, I decided to stay here again because it was a little closer to the airport and I had a 6am flight. I was surprised when I checked in, the Laondi, the front desk agent actually shook my hand and welcomed me. Never in my entire time traveling has a hotel front desk agent shook my hand at check in and greeted me.

My room was also automatically upgraded to a Suite. I didn't have to ask, like I usually do. And at this hotel, I was never upgraded to a suite the one or 2 times I actually did get an upgrade. It was always just to a Fabulous.

She offered my daughter some desert for her birthday and was very hospitable.

Definitely a renewed experience from what I experienced before at this location. I will likely to start staying here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Welcome back! As an SPG Platinum Member, we value your loyalty and want W Atlanta Downtown to feel like your home away from home. I am very glad you were welcomed so warmly from the beginning of your stay and the exceptional service continued right until the end! We are very lucky to have Loandi as part of our team and I will share your comments with her. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.