“Terrible customer service”

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #60 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed here for a night after a large conference at the Phillips Arena. We checked in that afternoon and then headed for the conference. The conference ran late into the night and upon return, the valet was woefully understaffed (surprising considering the proximity to the conference, and the fact that it was a conference hotel). This was a nuisance (waiting almost an hour to make it into the parking lot and get into the hotel) but not a huge deal. What was a deal breaker was the incredibly rude treatment by hotel staff and lack of professionalism. The harried valet had asked that we just leave our car where it was as he rushed to park the many others. Another employee,who was just standing around watching, told my friend (as I was getting my valet ticket) that he was going to have my car towed because it was in the way (where the valet had asked me to leave it). Ridiculous! Room service would not pick up the phone for almost an hour. One of my friends was locked out of his room because the hotel had given it to another guest (even though he had checked in earlier and left all of his belongings). When the poor man went to the room, he found my friends stuff. Security locked down the room (an appropriate response) but when we returned blamed my friend for the problem and told him he did not have a reservation (not sure how he had a key and his stuff in the room??!) It took an hour to get this resolved. Rather than admitting they had made a mistake and rectify the situation, the hotel gave him the runaround. And to finish our stay, while trying to get coffee the next morning, the girl waiting on us grumbled that she "couldn't wait for this day to be over". Very poor customer service. Not what I have experienced at other W hotels. I will never stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Thank you for your recent post. I’m sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations. This is certainly not the type of experience we intend to provide and I am very disappointed that we fell short on this particular stay. Please contact me directly at gmchristopher.cannon@whotels.com so we can discuss the details of your stay. Thank you again for your review. I hope to speak to you soon.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Just a short walk from Americas Mart. Staff was efficient in getting us down their in the morning. The shuttle driver, Travis, used local shortcuts and saved us tons of time (especially in pouring down rain).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Thank you for this review! We certainly appreciate your comments and we love being in central downtown too. I will share your feedback with Travis and the team. Come back and see us anytime. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown!

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I have never been to a hotel with such excellent service. I went there to view the room to ensure that I wanted to book it and received an excellent tour from Dawaun Sunkins. When I decided to book the room, he was able to upgrade my room to a corner suite. His help with planning this birthday surprise for my husband was above and beyond my expectations. I would return to this hotel over and over again simply because of Mr. Sunkins! With the upgrades and drink passes, the weekend could not have been better! Thanks Mr. Sunkins for making the weekend extremely special!!!!!!

Also Tanya from valet was especially kind. She helped me up to my room because of all my baggage!!

Room Tip: I was ont he 14th floor in a corner suite so that eliminated noise from people in the halls. The cor...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thecutestbabies
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to spotlight the service you received. I will be sure to share your comments with Dawaun, Tanya and the entire team. I’m glad your husband had a nice birthday surprise and we helped create a memorable experience. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. Until next time. Cheers!

Reviewed January 6, 2014

All that you'd expect from a W Hotel in Atlanta. We didnt love being downtown because there isn't much to do at night. However we loved the food, the decor of the rooms, the comfy beds, our amazing view and the friendly staff. Well done!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank starviptrav33
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

We love hearing from our guests, so thank you for posting a review. We're so glad you enjoyed our property and the many amenities it has to offer. Additionally, our complimentary car service will transport you to many of the amazing restaurants and shops within a 2 mile radius of the hotel. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I turned 30 on 1/3 of this year and decided to celebrate in Atlanta and I'm so glad that I decided to stay at the W Atlanta Downtown while I was visiting. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful. When my guest and I first arrived we were greeted by Tanya W. that worked with valet. My sister realized she had left a bag at the airport while the car was being unloaded. Tanya checked our bags at the front desk while we returned to the airport to get the missing bag (which we were able to find praise God.) At the welcome desk Dawaun S. was also very polite and helpful. After sharing with him that we were there celebrating my 30th bday he offered suggestions on some of the hot spots in the city we should check out, provided us with complimentary passes to a Opera and a drink pass for each of us to use in the hotel bar. Not only did the staff contribute to having a great experience but the rooms and ambience of the hotel are like none other. I look forward to staying here again and would recommend it to any one that's looking to have a good time while visiting Atlanta or even to folks that are in need of a staycation .

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Happy Belated 30th Birthday Shannon. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown for your special celebration. I’m so glad to hear that Tanya and Dawaun were able to make your stay even more memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back for another great experience!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Our first time staying at this hotel was New Year's Eve. My husband and I were impressed with the modern décor and the general ambience of the lobby. We were greeted with warm smiles and a readiness to make our stay the best ever. There was one member of the team that went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable and knowledgeable of the W culture at all times. We were really impressed with his professionalism as well as his sunny disposition. There was no request too big or too small for this young man. He really exemplified the meaning of great customer service. No matter how nice or how grand a hotel is, nothing makes it more memorable than the service and hospitality shown by its employees. We give our stay at the W five stars. We give Dawuan Sunkins 10 stars.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joy r

Thank you Joy for this wonderful review. I’m glad you chose to spend New Year’s Eve with us and I hope you had a great time. We sincerely appreciate the positive comments about the hotel and our talent. We couldn’t agree more with you; Dawaun is wonderful and we are lucky to have him. We look forward to seeing you again! Cheers!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The W Downtown is the place to go! I booked the "Romance Package" for my proposal. From the beginning, Pablo Lopez, the W Insider, helped me map out the entire proposal. He was available any time to answer questions that I had. He was also there the night of to capture the most important photos. Hands down one of the best hotel experiences I have had. If you're in Atlanta, you must stay here.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Thank you Jammel for this wonderful review. I’m glad you were able to celebrate with a romantic rendezvous at W Atlanta Downtown. We love helping to make sweet memories for our guests. We could not do this without the professionalism and dedication of our team. I will be sure to share your kind words Pablo Lopez. We hope to see you many more times in the future. Cheers!