“Best hotel I have ever been in plus the most amazing”
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #63 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The hotel was beautifully designed, but overall what made my experience the best was the staff. NJ, Pablo, and Loandi were always around when I needed something. They were prompt in helping me. They made my work easier which allowed me to enjoy myself while I was at the hotel and not stress out. I can't get over how much NJ really made my stay at the W hotel memorable. He made sure everything was perfect to the "T". NJ didn't just check me in, but he also showed he cared by asking me about my flight and if I liked the hotel. Just because NJ showed he cared I felt that if I had any problems, I knew somebody that I could ask to help me. NJ, Pablo, and Loadi should definitely be considered the best W hotel staff ever. Somebody should give these guys some extra points!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to spotlight the service you received. I will be sure to share your comments with NJ, Pablo-Andres, Loandi and the entire team. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. Until next time. Cheers!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Amazing service, Kiki in the bar, to the young gentleman who moved here from Chicago, can't think of his name, who drove us to the Pats game!! Kudos to the staff!! We did not know about the "tomorrow land" festival, so that made it interesting, not to mention seeing Celo Green in the lobby for the Grammy event!

• Stayed: September 2013
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to spotlight the service you received. I will be sure to share your comments with Kiki and the entire team. I’m glad you had a memorable W experience – that’s exciting you saw CeeLo Green. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. Until next time. Cheers!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Terrific location, comfortable bed, good food, and rooms that are dark, even in the middle of the day. This hotel is definitely designed to appeal to younger people with a need to be trendy. The problem with trendy is that it looks outdated after about two years. The staff are wonderful and responsive, and this is a great hotel if you can get past having a glass shower in the bedroom, the equivalent of 15 watt lights throughout the room, and slooooow elevators. 2 to 3 minute waits are not unusual during busy times like mornings, evenings, and checkout time.

Your first clue that the rooms are unusual is the lack of room pictures on the website. You mostly find close-ups of the sink. What is it they don’t want you to see? I can see where the young, trendy crowd might overlook some of the drawbacks (bring a flat bill hat so you can fit in), but the seasoned business traveler will be disappointed.

One small oddity – don’t bother using the stairs if you are on a lower floor. For security purposes, the only exit is an alarmed (presumably exterior) door at street level. You’ll end up walking back up to the 5th floor and waiting for the elevator to the lobby.

That said, the convention and meeting rooms are nice (and bright!) and comfortable. Just don't try to get there by the stairs.

Room Tip: If you really want to stay here, ask for a wonderful room (two queen sized beds) unless you want to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments! I was glad to hear our team provided you with exceptional service. I appreciate all your kind words and I’m glad you had a good’s night rest and found our bed to be comfortable. I appreciate your room observations. We receive many wonderful comments about the design of our guest rooms but I certainly understand that it is not for everyone. For those looking for more privacy, I highly recommend the Cool Corner room or the Studio Suites. They both have larger and more private bath and shower areas. I’m very sorry that you had a delay with the lift. Things generally flow pretty well but with a large group in the hotel it may have caused a delay. Sorry we didn’t meet all your expectations, but I do appreciate your review. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown.

Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a conference I was attending. It's a lovely hotel but a bit too hip and modern for my taste. The rooms were dark, the hallways were dark, the bathroom vanity very low and the open shower basically in the middle of the room was just too strange. The staff were very helpful. I think I'm just not cool enough for this place.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for your review. I appreciate all your kind words about our staff. It’s our goal to exceed every guests expectations and I’m disappointed that we fell short. The shower in the guest rooms is a popular feature with our guests. The configuration you describe is only in rooms with a king bed. We also have rooms with two queen beds that offer a shower/tub combo and a door that separates the bedroom from the WC for added privacy. We certainly appreciate your other comments about the guestroom. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back so we can show you how cool you really are.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Al the usual W class. Great design, bar, rooftop pool etc. location not great for weekends - choose midtown - but rooms fantastic and beds unbelievably comfortable. However valet parking ridiculously expensive and no wifi unless you crib. Which we did. And to their credit they rolled. You can get free wifi in a 35 dollar motel but not the W. madness.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FozzieandBlakey
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind words about the design and glad you found the beds to be comfortable. W Atlanta-Downtown’s valet parking prices are comparable to other hotels. However, there are other nearby self-parking lots but they are not affiliated with the hotel. I appreciate your comments regarding Wi-Fi. W Atlanta-Downtown became the first hotel to provide free Wi-Fi outside the walls of the hotel in addition to the free Wi-Fi in theLiving Room. Additional connectivity is available with prices based on the usage package you choose – we have several options available to serve varying needs. Be sure to check our website for the latest Special Offers and packages that include valet parking and free wi-fi. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel is quite different from the average. It is self consciously hip, with sleek, contemporary design and a real dose of attitude. From the moment you walk into the lobby, where the staff is behind modernistic, backlit podiums instead of a traditional check-in counter, you know you are somewhere unusual. While I smiled at how hard the place was trying, I was still more charmed than put off. The sleek, modernistic design extends to the rooms, which have a lot of glass and unusual lighting. The bath was really great, with a nice adjustable showerhead and huge tub, lovely marble floors and walls. There was a cute little built in sofa next to the window where you could stretch out and look at downtown Atlanta. It wasn't a huge room but it was quite comfortable. The minibar selections were unusually tempting, as they weren't the normal potato chips. Service was exceptional. The staff always smiled and greeted me, but not obtrusively. The maids were especially considerate about not barging in and were happy to leave us alone when we wanted them to, but responsive when we asked for something. The place is not cheap, but I honestly couldn't have asked for anything more. We were there for DragonCon because host hotels were sold out, and among the overflows it's the best choice. It's legitimately walking distance, about 15 minutes from the con. This is not as good as being right there, but it's a lot better than being further out. You CANNOt count on taxis and the con shuttle is too infrequent. Beware that parking is very expensive, but there are lots across the street that are much cheaper. The in-house restaurant (BLT Steak) is way too pricey for what you get, although the food was good. However the room service menu was priced at an average rate for a nice hotel and the food was two cuts above what you expect from hotel room service. They have a lovely rooftop hotel that I wish I had had time to use. In summary, I would totally recommend this hotel if the location and price meet your needs. I guess it might be a little too hip for some older people, but I'm 52 and I loved it. Then again, I'm a 52 year old who goes to DragonCon, so there you are.

Room Tip: We got a high floor and were delighted with the view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear our accommodations and location fit your needs perfectly. We are so happy to hear the pleasant interactions you had with our staff . Thank you for taking the time to recognize our team and the excellent service they provide. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Atlanta - hopefully for DragonCon 2014. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Great hotel, one of the best W properties I have stayed at!

Service from Pablo-Andres Lopez was amazing, thanks for the unbelievable tickets to the braves game!! overall was a great impromptu stay and we received great attention from the W insider - also has very amazing bar tenders with very creative drinks!

1  Thank pondesc
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thank you for your review! I appreciate your kind words about our hotel and our talent. I will be sure to share your comments with Pablo-Andres and the rest of the team. Drinkshop, our craft cocktail bar, does have some amazing specialty drinks. We look forward to your next stay so we can arrange another amazing experience. Cheers!