“Oh so hip”

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #58 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel is quite different from the average. It is self consciously hip, with sleek, contemporary design and a real dose of attitude. From the moment you walk into the lobby, where the staff is behind modernistic, backlit podiums instead of a traditional check-in counter, you know you are somewhere unusual. While I smiled at how hard the place was trying, I was still more charmed than put off. The sleek, modernistic design extends to the rooms, which have a lot of glass and unusual lighting. The bath was really great, with a nice adjustable showerhead and huge tub, lovely marble floors and walls. There was a cute little built in sofa next to the window where you could stretch out and look at downtown Atlanta. It wasn't a huge room but it was quite comfortable. The minibar selections were unusually tempting, as they weren't the normal potato chips. Service was exceptional. The staff always smiled and greeted me, but not obtrusively. The maids were especially considerate about not barging in and were happy to leave us alone when we wanted them to, but responsive when we asked for something. The place is not cheap, but I honestly couldn't have asked for anything more. We were there for DragonCon because host hotels were sold out, and among the overflows it's the best choice. It's legitimately walking distance, about 15 minutes from the con. This is not as good as being right there, but it's a lot better than being further out. You CANNOt count on taxis and the con shuttle is too infrequent. Beware that parking is very expensive, but there are lots across the street that are much cheaper. The in-house restaurant (BLT Steak) is way too pricey for what you get, although the food was good. However the room service menu was priced at an average rate for a nice hotel and the food was two cuts above what you expect from hotel room service. They have a lovely rooftop hotel that I wish I had had time to use. In summary, I would totally recommend this hotel if the location and price meet your needs. I guess it might be a little too hip for some older people, but I'm 52 and I loved it. Then again, I'm a 52 year old who goes to DragonCon, so there you are.

Room Tip: We got a high floor and were delighted with the view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear our accommodations and location fit your needs perfectly. We are so happy to hear the pleasant interactions you had with our staff . Thank you for taking the time to recognize our team and the excellent service they provide. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Atlanta - hopefully for DragonCon 2014. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown.

There are newer reviews for W Atlanta Downtown

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Great hotel, one of the best W properties I have stayed at!

Service from Pablo-Andres Lopez was amazing, thanks for the unbelievable tickets to the braves game!! overall was a great impromptu stay and we received great attention from the W insider - also has very amazing bar tenders with very creative drinks!

1  Thank pondesc
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thank you for your review! I appreciate your kind words about our hotel and our talent. I will be sure to share your comments with Pablo-Andres and the rest of the team. Drinkshop, our craft cocktail bar, does have some amazing specialty drinks. We look forward to your next stay so we can arrange another amazing experience. Cheers!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I want to start by saying that the W Hotel is a beautiful hotel. The attention to design detail starts the moment you enter the lobby doors. You feel as if you are underwater with sunlight dappling the surface, or perhaps in a forest with light shining through the trees. The sleek design continues upstairs in your room. Modern interiors with unique fixtures and a sexy, silhouetted shower. Room also has a well-stocked snack and bar with unique items that- even if you don't purchase- will both delight and make you giggle as you peruse them.

That being said, I wouldn't stay there again for Dragon-Con. I ended up at the W with my husband and a friend after the host hotels sold out.

Pros:
-They have a couple very nice courtesy cars that will take you anywhere close by (all host hotels were included)
- Beds were comfortable and housekeeping refreshed the linens daily.
- Attentive, friendly, and courteous staff
-The pool and gym are awesome and open 24/7
- Easy checkout- didn't have to wait an hour to get an elevator on Monday!

Cons:
- Host hotels are within walking distance (about 10-15 minute walk to the Hyatt), but when you're walking back from a host hotel at the wee hours of the morning, the crowd level drops to zero just a couple blocks into the walk- not a great area of town to be walking in at night. (Also not great if you're wearing super-hero boots with 4 inch heels.) We ended up with taxi rides on the nights back and courtesy shuttle (plus tip) on the way to to the Con.
- Poorly designed room for roommates and anyone with a lot of luggage. (Small armoire vs. real closet, DARK room with nothing but "sexy" lighting-lol, essentially transparent shower.
- No DC tv- 'nuff said.

We'd definitely consider coming back for a romantic getaway, but not again for the Con. You just can't beat the convenience, atmosphere, and brighter lighting at the main host hotels.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I’m very glad to hear you enjoyed the design of the hotel and the superior service. I appreciate your comments regarding the design of the guestrooms, we are always looking for opportunities to improve as we plan for future refreshes. I doubt we will see you for next year’s DragonCon but hope that we will see you prior on another occasion. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we hope to see you again soon, perhaps for that getaway!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

W chain is a fashionable brand and w Atlanta respect this.
Building is nice entrance dark with music and fashionable furniture and finishes.
Rooms are large I got a double king bed room, and bathroom is great and clean.
The bliss product in the room are always my favourites and the gadgets/ sweeter you find in the room make me always smiling.
Complimentary Breakfast can be improved but the friendly girl at the breakfast bar make you feeling home.
The Blt restaurant is definitely a no at least for what concern continental breakfast, service is very poor and might ruin your day. I was expecting at least a discount for a terrible and poor breakfast but pobably it was not valuable investing on it. Manager extremely helpful as well as the welcome desk, unfortunately I like to be advised by prepared concierges especially when I am visiting a city I don't know and unfortunately the recommendations were not up to standard we where sent to a dearly cheap fish sandwich bar while the request was to have a fish restaurant, so again definitely something to improve to support international guests expectations.

Room Tip: top floors room are good but most of teh rooms are well exposed
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed the design of the hotel and found the rooms to be spacious and the bed comfortable. We were certainly disappointed to hear you had such an unpleasant experience at BLT Steak. On your next stay, you might enjoy our W Cafe’ continental breakfast which has a great selection including complimentary coffee and teas every morning until 11 am. I am sorry that our concierges recommendation was not the best fit. On your next visit to Atlanta, you must try the Optimist. It is our favorite recommendation for seafood restaurants, located nearby and one of the best in the region. I will make sure we provide our guests with more options next time. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is an excellent hotel that exceeded our expectations of what an American boutique hotel was going to be like.

The rooms, as well as the entire hotel, have a great stylish look. We chose the 'Wonderful Room' option and were immediately impressed by the size as well as the design and style of the furnishings. There is a open bathroom area instead of a separate one that includes a stylish glass walled shower room which was a really nice touch. The TV was top notch, the view was great and it even had a nice radio for wake-up calls in the morning. The only down side was that the room didn't have any tea or coffee making facilities, but this may be a British thing.

The Living Room bar was a great place to relax in, either in the day time or at night. There was a good selection at breakfast and the bar food (which came from the BLT restaurant) was also very good.

We stayed here for DragonCon and found the location very good for what we wanted. Granted it is not one of the main convention hotels, but the walk to and from them wasn't that long and actually quite pleasant during the day. Walking at night there was still enough people about that you didn't feel too isolated either. We found the location of this hotel was a nice break from the hectic nature of DragonCon and it was nice to retreat here to relax for a few hours before returning to the convention.

All the staff were a credit to the hotel. Everyone was very helpful and took pride over their service which only made staying at this hotel even better. Would highly recommend this to others.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for this kind review. I certainly appreciate your comments regarding the design of the hotel and our fabulous talent. I’m glad you found your guestroom to be spacious and enjoyed the amenities in the room. We couldn’t agree more with you about our central downtown location. We love it! On your next stay, you can request a coffee maker delivered to your room so you can enjoy a fresh cup in your guest room. Please come back and see us again soon. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I was surprised to see that there are actually 3 W's in ATL, but this one had the best location for my business trip. I only stayed 1 night, but was pleasantly pleased with the hotel, service and overall experience. The hotel seemed to have been renovated recently (or at least it looked at that), as everything was very clean and modern. Great service at check-in, good food at BLT, and a nice gym/pool area overlooking the downtown skyline. Also had a very nice setting at the Living Room; good drinks and food. Would certainly stay here again if in the downtown ATL area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write a review and your kind words about the hotel and our staff. We're so glad you share our love for our central downtown location. It’s a nice perk to be so close to so many different attractions. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a great and trendy hotel. The glass wall from the bathroom to the bed is cool especially for couples. If you're splitting a room with just a friend they have a black panel to cover the glass wall. The curved hand carved wood panels in the lobby are neat too. The hotel was very clean and modern. The pool could have been a little bigger and they could have had more lounge chairs. The pool is also partially covered by a big canopy so only parts of it get sun. BLT Steak there is one of the best steak places in Atlanta and worth checking out. Bliss spa was good as well and both me and my fiance got massages there. We went to The Drinkshop bar and the pool bar and both were good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We sincerely appreciate your kind words. The glass wall that separates the shower from the bedroom in our Wonderful and Fabulous rooms with king beds is definitely a unique feature. Our Fabulous rooms with 2 queen beds have an opaque glass wall and a shower/tub combo with a door that separates the bedroom from the WC for added privacy. I’m very glad you had a wonderful experience at BLT Steak - We are very lucky to have such an excellent restaurant on property. I’m happy to hear that you and your fiancé were able to enjoy a relaxing massage. I look forward to sharing your comments and we are excited to welcome you back in the future. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown!