“Great Valet Staff!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Montgomery, Alabama
“Great Valet Staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Siye and other valet staff at this location are kind, attentive and ready and willing to assist patrons at this location! I stayed at this downtown W back in November of 2012 for a conference, and the rooms are luxurious and modern, and the BLT Steak Bistro adjacent to the main building is also phenomenal! Well worth the money for a great, modern and clean establishment for your travel needs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for your review! I’m very glad to hear that you enjoyed the service at the hotel and our talent made you feel welcome. I look forward to sharing your comments with Siye and the rest of our team. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown. Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

When traveling through an urban city with plenty of lodging options, price often dictates selection. During a recent trip to Atlanta, decided to take a chance on the W even though it was a little higher in price than the recommended hotels.

Unbeknownst to me, there was close to a city wide sellout on the night I arrived. During my flight into Atlanta the property left a message to confirm that I was indeed arriving that evening. By the time I finally arrived to the hotel, it was close to midnight and I had a sneaking suspicion that they may have given away my room since they could recoup a larger rack rate from it. Not true.

The front desk person (Loretta) was extremely kind and sympathetic to my plight. Not only did she hold the very last room for me, she even managed to immediately upgrade me when another room became available. Though my Starwood status may have had something to do with them holding the room, I got the distinct impression that serving the customer is part of the DNA of this property (and W's in general).

In this instance, it was so refreshing that a property put customer service over profit. They now have a customer for life (or whenever in Atlanta).

Room Tip: Take a higher room. Floor four is where meeting space is so it can be noisy. Also, given its c,one...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review. I’m very glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for recognizing Loretta. I will be sure to share your kind words. You are always welcome at W Atlanta Downtown. We look forward to having you as our guest again.
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Hotel staff went above and beyond to be helpful in several situations during my stay. Very friendly and capable. Every staff member made me feel like a VIP. Due to the modern decor, the rooms and hallways are a little dark, but the rooms were very comfortable. Had the best massage ever at the Bliss Spa - highly recommend taking advantage of the spa. Work out room provided a great view while on the treadmill. BLT Restaurant on premises and had excellent food and wait staff. The gentlemen at the bell stand and the Acura Experience driver were extremely friendly and appeared to be sincerely concerned with your comfort and conveniences. I wish I had stayed an additional night after business was completed just to enjoy the facilities without having to rush to meetings.

Room Tip: The shower in the king size room is very nice. Wish I had this set up at home.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I know travelling for work can be exhausting and I'm grateful our staff made such an effort to make you feel comfortable. A massage at Bliss and dinner at BLT Steak sounds about as close to a perfect day as I can imagine. Hopefully during your next stay, you will have more time to get the full W Atlanta Downtown experience. We look forward to seeing you soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We got married last week (we decided to forgo the stressful, expensive big wedding and elope, just the two of us) and our friends surprised us last minute with a stay at the W in Downtown Atlanta. I'm so glad they did because we had an absolutely fantastic stay.

We have lived in several different countries around the world and travel a lot for work, so we've stayed in many many 4 and 5 star hotels. Our room at the W, and the hotel in general, was of a VERY high standard, and would rank way above the vast majority of 5 star hotels we've visited. We stayed in a studio suite on the 10th floor which was absolutely beautiful with fantastic views over downtown Atlanta. The hotel puts you right in the thick of it (hence the great city view) and yet we couldn't hear a sound from outside or from other rooms. Modern, high finish decor with all the mod cons you would expect to find in a mid-high range hotel; very very clean; lots of luxury toiletries from the hotel's spa (we didn't visit the spa but the products in the room speak volumes); and a very comfortable king bed.

All the staff at the hotel, knowing that it was such a special occasion, made us feel incredibly welcome, and there was even a bottle of champaign and strawberries waiting in our room when we arrived! It seemed like the staff on reception had been waiting for us to arrive, and they did a great job of making us feel really special

We also really like that check out wasn't until 12 as this gave us time to sleep in, get breakfast etc without having to rush around. I always find that 10 and 11 o'clock check out times mean that you don't get a chance to make the most of the hotel amenities, especially when you're only staying for one or two nights, and being able to stay until 12 is always something I look for when booking a hotel.

We just moved to Atlanta a few weeks ago and when family and friends come to visit us we've already decided that this is where we want to put them up (though we're tempted to let them stay in our apartment and book ourselves into the W instead :D)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Congratulations on your wedding! We are delighted that you chose to celebrate such a special occasion with us. It’s nice to know you were welcomed so warmly in the beginning of your stay and the exceptional service continued right until the end. Please come again (perhaps for your one year) and experience even more of what we have to offer - Bliss Spa and BLT Steak are equally top notch! Hope to see you again soon.
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This place just didn't do anything for me. Upon entering the place you do not feel welcome at all. The attendants are stuffy and luke warm and the reception is even cooler. Now, I know I am not "urban hipster" but come on....
The halls are dark and dusty. Coffee service is inconsistent in the hallway and paint chipping everywhere in the room and the roman shades outdated and barely worked. The linens felt like sand paper. Room service, don't even bother. The food was really bad. The valet wanted me to pay them personally...I don't think so. Very unprofessional! SO glad I got that out of my system. Too many other properties around the area that would have much better customer service and a nicer property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AtlantaSupergirl
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at W Atlanta Downtown. Please know we take guest comments very seriously and I was quite disappointed as we generally receive very good comments about the service we offer. I shared your observations with our team to highlight how important it is to provide impeccable service to each guest, every time. I sincerely hope you consider giving us another chance to demonstrate the level of service we strive to provide.
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This W location lives up to the W hotel expectation. It's trendy and has the typical W decor. It's also very clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. When I accidentally left my necklace in the room upon checkout, they found it for me and had it waiting for me to pick up. While most W hotel rooms don't have a lot of bright lighting, the rooms at this one are particularly dark. I've stayed here twice and couldn't see a darn thing in my room. For that reason, I prefer the W midtown to this one, even though the rooms at this one seem a little less worn (although it could be the lack of lighting that makes the room look good).

• Stayed January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m glad you enjoyed the design of the hotel and our helpful and friendly talent. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown!
Saint Paul, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I recently stayed at the W Hotel in Atlanta for 5 nights. I paid an average of $245/night and was very disappointed in my stay.

The hotel is a design hotel, but it needs a little spiffing up. A lot of the glass and metal were dusty and fingerprinted which detracted from the overall appearance.

The rooms are painted charcoal grey and deep magenta in the bathroom. It hides some of the dirt - my curtains were badly stained (see photo) and the paint in the toilet room had a lot of stains on it as well. The shower didn't drain (see photo) and one of my lights didn't work.

I complained to the management and the light was addressed immediately. The shower and the curtains remained an issue and it wasn't until Day 4 of my stay that they offered to buy me drinks or breakfast to make it up to me.

In addition, it the W is a "party" hotel - the W provides ear plugs to guests - and for 2 of my nights I listened to loud parties until 3 am.

The location is only medium - it is downtown near the freeway and two blocks (that are parking lots) from the fun part of downtown. You can definitely do better in Atlanta.

There is free WiFi only in the lounge - you pay in your room - and the overall hotel experience was not good. I was looking for an adjustment to my bill given the issues I experienced, but I was ignored.

I expected better of the W, but clearly this is not a luxury hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank BridgetF
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincere apology for the challenges you experienced during your stay. I was very disappointed that your room was not styled properly prior to your arrival. This is clearly not consistent with W standards and we will ensure that the issues you mentioned are addressed and do not happen in the future. Clearly we should have followed up on your concerns more expeditiously and with a more appropriate response. I am personally working with our team to address this specific issue. It’s unfortunate that noise from other guests kept you from experiencing the full comfort of the hotel. We have a very strict noise policy and we do not allow or promote parties in guestrooms. Please let me know when your travels bring you back to Atlanta and hopefully you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves.