“Best W I've Been To!”

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #65 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 8, 2012

By far, the best W hotel I've been to and W Hotel or not, the most helpful, friendly and awesome staff ever. When staying here, I really felt I got way more service and quality than I paid for. The rooms were fantastic, the decor is super chic, and the amenities seem nicer than at other hotels. Plus, the shower! Worth a trip to this hotel for it alone. Super sexy!

The other main reason I stay at W Hotels is their Acura shuttle service. If you're going anywhere withhin about a two mile radius, the hotel will drop you off wherever you want to go. I was in town for a conference held 3 blocks away. Siye and Frank from the W dropped me off and picked me up each time. Neither of them had to pick me up but they said to call them when I was ready to leave and if they were near by they would pick me up. They both went above and beyond to help me- in fact, all the staff members there did.

Usually when you stay at a hotel with multiple locations, you know what to expect- it's why I stay at the W and go to Starbucks when I travel for work. No bad surprises. But staying at this W Hotel exceeded my expectations by far. Thanks to everyone there!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jennifer M
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at W Atlanta Downtown! I’m glad to hear that you were impressed by the hotel’s design and the variety of features and amenities. I appreciate your comments about our complimentary Acura car service. I will be sure to share your feedback with Siye, Frank and the rest of our team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights on a work trip and picked this location because it was next door to my office (plus yay for being an SPG member). I arrived super early, around 7am on Monday and the front desk employee was very helpful and let me check in early so I could get ready for my 8am meetings.
The room was nice and spacious but overall dark. I walked around and turned all the lights on and still felt like it was far too dark. My other quip or maybe just a suggestion, is if you’re staying here with someone other than your significant other (and even then…), you may want to ask about the room or rethink your stay because the shower is placed in the middle of the room, and is see-through. Great if you want to put on a show, not so great in any other circumstance.
The last thing about my stay that I wanted to note was the wifi. By day two, I couldn’t deal with how slow the regular wifi was so I paid for the enhanced subscription, and that did not help at all. It was horribly slow and at some point I simply gave up on trying to read up on my news and get my work email.
The room service was great, however, – I had a lobster cobb salad that was absolutely delicious and a very hearty portion.
Overall, a very nice hotel, though a bit dark and wifi needs a lot of improvement.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful comments about the hotel and our staff. I’m glad to hear that we were able to check you in early and you found the room to be spacious. The Lobster Cobb salad is a personal favorite. It’s a great benefit to have all of our food prepared by BLT Steak! I appreciate your comments about the guestroom shower. We do have different styles to offer. Next time, you might want to reserve a Fabulous room with two queen beds. It has a shower/tub combo, an opaque glass wall and a door that separates the bedroom from the WC for added privacy. We just completed a major upgrade to our Wi-Fi network. The Enhanced connection provides 5 MB bandwidth which should give you the capability to stream music, videos and work without slowing your internet connection. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I arrived at the property and found the property to be a spectacular “W” property. I was in town for a business conference for the week and arrived late in the night. Didn’t want to do much but to get some rest. I was greeted with a smile upon checking in and the process was flawless. As I entered my room, I had a great view and the room was very clean. I set my clock for a 4AM wake-up. I had to be at GWCC by 5AM. Taxi service in Atlanta is different from other cities whereas you call dispatch for a pick-up and they have the cab driver call you back to confirm. Nice touch! The next morning I call for my taxi and the driver calls me back to confirm. I’m picked up by 4:30AM. Keep in mind that it’s still very dark outside. I arrive at GWCC and pass my entire day at the conference center. It’s now 5:00PM and I’m ready to go back to the hotel and go out to walk the area and get a good dinner somewhere. I call for the taxi and the same process is given. As I arrive at the hotel, I give the driver my AMEX. Card to pay for the ride. The driver refused to take the card and demanded cash! This was a first! I literally debated with this guy and refused to give him cash! He only changed his mind when I threatened to call his dispatcher.. Finally I’m out of the “penalty box for not having cash” taxi. I now am ready to eat and walk the area. This is the part when I stated “The “W” Downtown Hotel Is spectacular, but…..” To my surprise there was nowhere to go in walking distance. The majority of the venues were near the GWCC. It was complete isolation scripted right out of the Will Smith movie “I am Legend.” The property has a very nice steak house downstairs and a pizza pallor across the street, but that’s about it. I believe that the “W” Hotel Mid-town would have been the better location to stay. At least there are numerous venues to walk too or the Omni Hotel CNN is another location that has venues. Again, the property is spectacular, but you will literally need a taxi to get you to all the places you want to go to. And don’t forget to have “cash” when calling for a taxi!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for your review. I’m very glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and our talent made you feel welcome. We think W Atlanta Downtown is spectacular too! I’m sorry to hear that you had a challenge with a taxi driver. While you are always welcome to call your own taxi, we have a taxi stand at the hotel and there are generally several taxis on standby. Our concierge is available to assist with a wide selection of restaurants and bars within walking distance of the hotel. We also offer a complimentary Acura car service that will transport you to some of the hottest new additions to the Atlanta culinary landscape - all within a 2 mile radius of the hotel. Thank you for your feedback and I hope we have a chance to welcome you back!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I really wanted to like this place, I really did. It all started off so well. Pleasant check in, sleek modern hotel, great room, great bathroom. At check in, we were granted free in room wifi, I think because we decided to have room keeping every other day instead of every day. Hotel gym was great, roof top pool awesome, and beds were comfortable. Here was the incident:

We stayed in the hotel from Wed-Sun. On Thursday night, we heard a woman screaming (seriously screaming) in pretty late at night, maybe 1am. It woke up my friend and myself from a dead sleep, but we fell back asleep, so no problem. Friday night, I returned to the hotel around 3:30am, I was trying to be quiet so as to be respectful of the other guests, no need as it turns it. The guests directly across from me were still carrying on, SLAMMING doors, laughing, running up and down the hallways, yelling (it was not only the room directly across, but also 2 or 3 other rooms next to it). So, I let this go until about 4am, at which point, I thought, this is riduculous. I called the front desk to complain, she said she would send security up to resolve, but honestly, she sort of gave me the impression I was bothering her. Nothing got resolved until 5:30, when I guess they finally fell asleep, or passed out. Ridiculous. No offense, but if I'm spending $200 a night, I want to be able to sleep, call me demanding.

The next afternoon when I finally woke up, I went downstairs to speak with the manager. She mentioned there was no note of any incidents or anyone calling the night before; this might explain why my neighbors were allowed to carry on until 5:30 am, security was never called. In all fairness to the manager, she really did rectify the situation. I specifically asked if those people had checked out, otherwise I knew I'd have the same issue; they hadn't. She moved us to a different floor, corner room, and even gave us a discount on that night. When we checked out the next day, the girl mentioned the "W" brand of hotels is sort of known for this, as if it were a party hotel. I'm fine with this, I didn't get back to my room until 3:30am anyway, but 5:30?? Seriously??? Sorry, I'll NEVER stay in a W hotel again. Very nice hotels, but never again. In addition to the "incident", I just didn't really care for the other guests I saw there either, it really seems like a place to go to the club (there's one right inside the hotel), get sloshed, be obnoxious, and just stay in the hotel! No thanks.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TCHAD
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Thank you for posting a review. I appreciate your positive comments about the hotel and our staff. It sounds like there were many aspects of the hotel that you really enjoyed. It’s unfortunate that noise from other guests kept you from experiencing the full comfort of the hotel. I’m glad we were able to rectify the situation before you left. We have a very strict noise policy and we do not allow or promote parties in guestrooms. I genuinely appreciate your feedback and you can be assured that we will use your comments to improve the guest experience. Should your travels bring you back to Atlanta, please contact me directly so that I may personally oversee your W experience.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Ive stayed at many W properties. A few years ago I stayed at the W downtown Atlanta and really loved the place. It was darkly lit, modern and sexy. The rooms have a glass see through shower next to the bed. A few years ago there were swanky touches like a sign that said WET with mixers and gin to make a martini next to the ice bucket...The rooms were new and very different decore. If you wanted a hot date night...this was the place.
So last weekend I went back. I was saddened to see the place just isn't is what it once was. What was once dark, modern and sexy is now a little grubby, less classy and bluntly it feels well...downtown. The shower had piled up mold in the corners. The walls and capets looked worn and dirty. We had a very nice guy at check in who gave us a higher floor room and I was expecting it to be the nicer. If higher floors are nicer I gotta wonder what the lower floors looked like. The extra touches were no longer there. The staff was friendly and helpful but I just didnt get the sense this was the A team. Cocktail servers seemed a little unsure of themselves in the lobby bar. Its hard to explain why, but I didnt get the sense of confidence the place once had. On friday night, the valet guys were beyond overwhelmed. There was a guy with a large loud machine cleaning the lobby floor right at prime check in time. My sense is that this hotel has become a place where younger Atlanta comes to party and wreck the rooms. Overall it seems like the W downtown is like a hot girl in the dark bar....She is cute at first but when you look closer she's just tired and grubby...

Room Tip: Try tipping the front desk...It works to get an upgrade at check in..
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelsharkali

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your kind words about our friendly talent. I was, however, disappointed to hear that your room was not styled properly prior to arrival. This is clearly not consistent with our standards – and not consistent with your previous experiences at W Atlanta Downtown. We genuinely appreciate your feedback and we will use your comments to improve our service. I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Professional staff, chic room, and an upbeat atmosphere on the 2nd floor bar area called DrinkShop. The bartender was delightful and made great drinks with a lot of fresh ingredients. This hotel is an all-around winner.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for your kind words. I’m glad to hear that you were impressed with our selection of specialty drinks in Drinkshop, our craft cocktail bar. We recently launched our rooftop garden and soon the fresh fruits, herbs and veggies will be used as primary ingredients and garnishes for our specialty cocktails. We look forward to seeing you on your next stay. Cheers!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I was in town visiting friends and had to make the decision on what Starwood hotel to stay at. The first recommendation I received was "Stay at the W!!" Unknown to me was that Atlanta has three different locations!! I asked around a little more and checked out some of the reviews here on tripadvisor and decided that the downtown location seemed like the one. Boy was I right!! Granted parking is 30 bucks a night, this place is worth it!! From the moment I arrived I was greeted with smiles and welcomes and automatic doors that exposed me to a very nice lobby area. Ada at the front desk was simply amazing and made me feel like I was one of the residents of the hotel and not just a passing through visitor. I received a high floor (14) and the view was beautiful! That night a friend and I dined at BLT, a restaurant that is attached to the hotel and the food was AMAZING!! The drinks at the hotel's upstairs bar was sensational as well. The bartender created something me because I was so indecisive and it was delicious! I can't speak on the price of the drinks because I'm from a big city so 10 to 12 dollars a drink is pretty normal for me. The room was amazing, I did see what other reviewers meant by the low dim lighting, but it didn't bother me. Plus, there is a light on the desk that is of normal lighting and should fix any issues one may have if they are trying to do work at the desk. The see-thru shower definitely makes the hotel room very adult, but again I didn't have an issue with it. I love the fact that the shower was as big as it was, so I was in heaven!! I cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your wonderful review! I’m sure other guests will find it helpful. I’m very glad to hear that you enjoyed the service at the hotel and our talent made you feel welcome. It’s also good to know that you were able to enjoy the great view from your room and sample some of our other fabulous amenities including BLT Steak and Drinkshop. Thank you for choosing W Atlanta Downtown and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.