“Party hotel. You just pay for other people to have fun while you sleep.”
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #58 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Prague, Czech Republic
“Party hotel. You just pay for other people to have fun while you sleep.”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I didnt feel well in this place. The hotel seemed over designed; rooms are dark and not well appointed. Overcomplicated lighting system in the room. It took at least 3-5 minutes every time to get to elevator. View: noisy highway. Both pool and bar were always crowded with non-hotel guests parties. Strange, drunk people walking around past midnight, when you want to relax. This hotel should make a serious choice about its focus – its guests or local crowd. Next time in Atlanta, I will stay in a hotel that will make me a priority. The hotel is very close to MARTA train, that takes you directly to the airport. Piedmond park about 15 minute walk.

Room Tip: Get a room not facing the highway, higher up.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Clovicek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Danville, California
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was speaking at a conference and decided to stay here. I found it laid back and missed all the wild parties everyone else is writing about. I love the room. It was spacious, modern and comfortable. I worked on my speech and the bar and also spent time writing without interruptions. Most of the staff was great; some of the folks at the front desk were a bit stiff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

I will start out by saying that the staff who were there did a great job under terrible conditions. I feel for them and admire their positivity.

That said it is clear that this property has two big issues: the actual building itself which has a terrible entrance ( police are stationed there due to the poor traffic engineering), small rooms, has too little elevator capacity , has windows that don't block the noise from the adjacent highway, etc.

The second issue is that senior management has no idea how to staff . I had to wait five minutes to pull in as the valet service was under staffed. There was no greeter to tell me where to go as the bell service was understaffed. At prime check in time the poor gal behind the counter was swamped with check ins,phone calls and inquiries. The restaurant for both dinner And breakfast were slow and overwhlemed by volume....i walked out after 10 minutes on the former, and had to go back into the kitchen on the latter to see where things stood.

Again, staff tried but were set up to fail....there are much better options in this market

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank tally11111
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
First of all, let me thank you for taking the time to post a review. I appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. We are extremely proud of our associates and I’m glad to see that our team responded professionally and appropriately to your requests. That said, I'm very sorry that your stay got off to a bad start. The hotel is generally busy and that particular evening we hosted an event with the Mayor of Atlanta. The driveway was busy but traffic was moving steadily with the assistance of the traffic officer. I can only imagine how stressful your travel day was prior to arriving at the hotel and it was evident that you were not anticipating the activity you encountered. Please accept my apologies if this gave the impression that the hotel was not properly staffed. It was reassuring to see that you were greeted immediately by our Lobby Ambassador upon entering the hotel and directed to the welcome desk. I'm sorry that you were unable to check-in the moment you arrived but I'm glad that our Welcome Desk Manager was able to meet with you within moments and assist you with your check-in. The restaurant was busy as well and I'm sorry that you chose not to stay for your VIP reservation. I'm glad that we were able to find you a more suitable alternative. We always strive for complete satisfaction and, as such, I know our team will be disappointed to hear that even after their efforts, we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion. Should you wish to try us again, we will do all we can to make sure you have an enjoyable experience.
Troy, Alabama
Reviewed July 20, 2012

What a weird hotel! Everything about it is clean, upscale, etc. But, it's a party hotel appealing to a certain type--young people looking to hook-up. We went for a family get-away and couldn't go to the pool because of private parties. Rooms were noisy because of the parties too. Very disappointing and won't stay here again. Plus, $30 valet parking and very dark vibe to rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank 922ScottB77
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you for your recent post. I’m glad you found the hotel to be clean and upscale. We like to have fun and we enjoy seeing our guests have a good time too. That being said, I’m very sorry the hotel did not meet your expectations. I understand the summer pool parties may not be for everyone, especially those with young children. Our website is a great way to see what you can expect on the weekends. We have a strict policy regarding noise and parties in guestrooms and we do our best to make sure everyone is on their best behavior. You may be surprised to know that our valet parking rates are consistent with and lower than many other downtown hotels. If you don’t need the convenience of valet parking, there are a number of self-parking lots nearby. If you decide to try another weekend stay or a weekday when things are a bit more subdued, please let me know and I will be happy to make sure you have a great stay. Cheers.
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Walk in the room and you are all set up to throw a party with lights, music, and extensive mini-bar service including oxygen cans and condoms. Stayed for five nights, and there was at least 3 parties at the rooftop pool. The restaurant is expensive but really worth it and they also validate parking if you have guests over. Great place for a bachelor or a loving couples. Had a tendency to revive you it is own special ways. I heard the SPA facilities is great for messages but did not try it. .

Room Tip: Stay away from the 15th floor and the noise of the pool wet bar on the 16th. The 11th floor was per...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Basil Q
Franklin, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2012

NOT FOR FAMILIES!!!! DO NOT TAKE YOUR KIDS TO THIS ESTABLISHMENT......I explored the website prior to booking and thought it would be a fun hotel for the kids to experience while in Atlanta, they were so excited to stay there and could not wait to use the pool.....no where on the site does it say that it is not a kid friendly hotel....and it should! We checked in around 9PM, after the Braves baseball game was over. Our plans were to check in and hit the pool. The hotel was more like a night club and we felt like we needed to lock ourselves in the hotel room. The front desk assistant told us that there was a party at the pool and it would probably not be appropriate for our children until first thing in the morning, which totally defeated our reason for staying there in the first place. My children were harassed and accosted by drunk party goers while on the elevator going up to our room. We decided to check out the pool since this was one of our main reasons for booking this hotel. We were stopped by a security guard who told us that it was not appropriate for our family to be in the pool area. He took our room number and notified the front desk. They offered to compensate us with a free movie, melted ice cream and stale popcorn. This was an awful experience and I will never stay at another hotel like this with my family. They should be ashamed and somewhere on the website it needs to specifically say that it is NOT a family friendly environment. We spent a lot of money and splurged on something we thought would be an enjoyable experience, unfortunately it was the opposite and I am ashamed that we ever took our kids into that establishment.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Chris C
atlanta ga
Reviewed July 11, 2012

first off, We loved this hotel. My husband and I (early 30's) only stayed one night for our anniversary but I will definitely go back. this hotel seems fitting for couples, girls night out or a weekend with the fellas or your girl-friends. I wouldn't recommend bringing kids to this hotel. I'm pretty sure the hotel has no problem with kids it's just my opinion. Also, I'm not sure if this is the case with every shower but the wall to the shower is glass so you can see straight thru from your bed. I don't know about you but I wouldn't like my kids of any age looking at me while I'm in the shower. Everything about this hotel felt sexy. The decor was modern and sleek looking. the pool was awesome. the staff was awesome. valet was awesome. They even put a bottle of champagne in the room with chocolate covered strawberries in our room for our anniversary. very sexy. When I checked in, I'd booked the Fabulous room which was awesome but I wanted the suite (Cool Corner suite) but they were all booked up. I still loved my room so no biggie. We attempted to eat at the restaurant (BLT Steak) in the hotel it was nice but quite expensive. It was around 7:30pm and there was only 2 people eating in there. O_o At night they have a club/lounge in the hotel that sounded like people were having a great time in there but we didn't get to check it out. Hopefully next time. Anywho, overall excellent experience.

Room Tip: I got a room on higher floor so I didn't hear any of the music from the club/lounge like some pe...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple