“New, exciting, great location”
Review of W Atlanta Downtown

W Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #62 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 8, 2012

This hotel has a lot to offer. We had a corner room window suite, large, beautiful views and very comfortable. The location is accessible to all down town activity including easy access to the major interstates. Service is great, the Spa is top notch, overall its a great stay for downtown Atlanta. My favorite!

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better! Don't forget about the pool and health club on the 10th floor...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,101)

Reviewed April 5, 2012

am an SPG addict, but a bit wary of the W brands. Many things work for W like the Bliss personal products they have in the bathroom, the Acura ride on the MDX that can drop you off in style and comfort within a reasonable distance and the cutting edge design inside and out of your hotel rooms. A few things that don't seem to work for this brand, Stand offish image - People working seem to be a bit stand offish under the guise of professionalism and efficiency. A little chat goes a long way to make the guest feel wanted.
I was recognized for my status (Platinum) and upgraded to this incredible corner suite with wall to ceiling windows. The rooms and the corridor was colorful, with a nice brown decor. Internal furniture was electric blue and so were the custom couch. I made used of the free shoeshine and it came back spotless even though it was handed to staff at the end of the night. The hotel has a bunch of bars from contemporary on the ground floor to the bar on the second floor that hosts live music and BMI parties which showcases some local talent. The workout facility on the 16th floor is pciceless, especially running in the morning

Make sure to try out the Acura drop off service. The restaurant downstairs is expensive, however they are plenty of options that are within 0.6 miles. Also an inexpensive local Pindar piece in Pittsburgh

I did a lot of reserach before this stay and sure this place wasn't disappointing. I wish they pay more attention to the SPG status and pay attention to Green choice, etc while we check in

Room Tip: Chose a room facing the river. Better view than facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2012

When you are away and arrive at a hotel and head up to your room there is nothing more disapointing than entering a room that is unmade , in a total mess and filthy dirty . What a let down! This was only the beginning , management was really the biggest disappointment. After having the room changed with multiple rides up and down elevators that are far to few for this size establishment I ended up in a worse room than when I started. The issue was brought up with the concierge Joseph Jones who PROMISED to sort it out and change my room the following day ....I am still waiting to hear from him . This was followed up with the "Manager of guest experience" Woody Deweese, promises, promises , again I am still waiting for him to do anything about the hotels mess-up, when challenged he became irritated and tried every possible move to get rid of me.
I wish I had the patience and time to keep writing about this incompetency , unprofessional behaviour and totally hopeless management or people skills ....W Hotels please train or hire the correct staff

Room Tip: Good Luck and don't thick management will be of assistance
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Russell F
WAtlantaDowntownGM, General Manager at W Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2012

Hello Russell. Thanks for posting a review. I am very sorry to hear that the hotel stay for the bachelor party weekend did not meet your expectations. It is our goal to provide exceptional guest experiences. I apologize that you were checked into a room that was not fully prepared. Obviously, this is not consistent with our service standards. I was relieved to confirm that we were able to quickly move you to a similar room. I carefully reviewed all of your comments and spoke with the individuals involved. While we made several attempts to contact you in your room and spoke with members of your group, I am sorry that we were not able to connect before you headed out to enjoy the weekend. It is unfortunate that subsequent interactions that included our security department escalated to the point where little could be accomplished. I am sure there is much more we could have done and I regret that this is where we left things. I am truly sorry that you feel that we did not respond appropriately. I am extremely proud of our customer service professionals, but I do realize we should never be complacent as we strive for excellence. I’m glad that I was able to connect with you by email after your stay. Your feedback is invaluable in our quest to exceed the expectations of each guest and I thank you for taking the time to post.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

As a Starwood member I was upgraded to a bigger room for my birthday. And that was sweet!! The outdoor rooftop pool is lovely. I was there almost a every day I was there. and during night time? grab a bottle with your loved one and enjoy the moonlight and pool.

Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed here on a Saturday night just to have a night away with another couple. The facilities and rooms are amazing. Love the uber-contemporary decor. Also, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. i.e. we were waiting on the complimentary acura to take us to Midtown for dinner and when it was running a little slow, they bumped us right up so that we could get there. High recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I was traveling on business all week and this was the last stop, a quick overnighter. The rooms are very sexy and I've never slept better in a hotel, the mattress and pillows were perfect. Room service was good.

No complaints here, loved it all.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Very cool, hip hotel. Love the lobby. The bar was great, and love having BLT right there.
Rooms are very W. Cool, but dark. We stayed in a corner suite, what a view of downtown. We took the kids and had them in a double next to our room. Front desk sent up movies, games, cookies and milk. My kids thought they were the most special people in the world.
The health club and spa were both very nice.
The only downside...it's in a very central spit but isn't actually close to anything without driving.
We loved it. We will definitely be back.

Stayed: December 2011