“One of Atlanta's Best Family Attractions” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 281 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Center for Puppetry Arts is a unique cultural treasure - a magical place where children and adults are educated, enlightened and entertained. Since 1978, the Center has introduced millions of visitors to the wonder and art of puppetry and has touched the lives of many through enchanting performances, curriculum-based workshops and the hands-on Museum, as well as Distance Learning and Outreach Programs.
Atlanta, GA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“One of Atlanta's Best Family Attractions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Although family puppet shows appear geared to children only, there are two levels of humor in many of these productions, truly making them a joyous family experience. The puppet-making workshops after the shows are more child-centered, but a walk through the museum again delights both adults and children. I highly recommend the Center as a family destination, allowing 2 and a half hours for the show, the workshop, and the museum. For many years I took great-nephews and great-nieces to these and delighted in our shared artistic experience. On occasion my husband and I have attended adult shows in the evening with more serious content or more adult humor. But my favorite experience is still the family productions! The best ages for the children are in the 4 to 12 years of age range.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Sanr0n

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Such a fun experience for the kids!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

My kids thoroughly enjoyed Rumplestiltskin (ages 6 & 8). The puppets were beautiful & the puppeteers really did a fantastic job with them. My kids laughed a lot during the show and were totally into it. I think it's a great value since it is a 'live show.' Afterwards they let you make your own puppet which my 6 year old was so excited to do. My 8 year old was reluctant at first (he's getting to that stage where he has to decide if something is for babies or not) but he ended up getting into it - especially because you can decorate it & he wanted his to look the best :). Very fun outing during our visit to GA (we're from Southern California).

1 Thank SupSoCal
Atlanta, Georgia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Enjoyed my visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

The center was easy to find. I went for free with a library pass. I love the Big Bird exhibit and other Jim Henson exhibits. Learned a lot and would recommend to others. There is adequate parking as well.

1 Thank Tayla2001
atlanta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Too expensive for what it is”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I took my kids here last summer to see Peter Pan, and I thought it was way too expensive for what it was. While the show was somewhat amusing for the little ones, I found that it lacked quality, and turned out to be somewhat boring for the grownups.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank aago
charlotte
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Perfect for Families”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was a huge Jim Henson Muppet fan when I was a child, so I wanted to see some of his puppets. Some of the puppets at the museum include Big Bird, Cookie Monster and the Fraggles, to name a few. Seeing the puppets brought me back to when I was a young child watching sesame street and the Muppet movies. There is also a section of international puppets from Indonesia to Germany. Overall, it was interesting but I expected more.
FYI: They have puppet shows available for young children and their families.

1 Thank educator26