“Fun Fun”

Ranked #20 of 292 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Center for Puppetry Arts is a unique cultural treasure - a magical place where children and adults are educated, enlightened and entertained. Since 1978, the Center has introduced millions of visitors to the wonder and art of puppetry and has touched the lives of many through enchanting performances, curriculum-based workshops and the hands-on Museum, as well as Distance Learning and Outreach Programs.
Reviewed February 21, 2013

It was delightful and informative. The adults as well as kids enjoyed it immensly. We plan on making a return trip soon

There are newer reviews for Center for Puppetry Arts

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Center for Puppetry Arts was one of our favorite things during our stay in Atlanta, and is definitely one of the best museums I've visited. The collection is wide-ranging, with puppets from all over the world and from many time periods. We started in the Jim Henson room, which houses lots of puppets that bring back memories of childhood, from Fraggle Rock to Labyrinth. The collection has been laid out with care, and there is a ton of great information for every piece should you want to know more.

Walking into the International Wing is a very cool experience. We were lucky enough to have the front 2 rooms to ourselves (most people were ahead of us), and we got to spend some time with the puppets. Our favorite room was right at the beginning. The walls are crammed with puppets of all kinds, unmarked and crowded together. I could have spent hours just in there, examining each one. Some of them move or make unexpected sounds, which enhances the experience (it's a little creepy in a really fun way! Kids would love it.). The rest of the museum opens up after this room, and they really have an astonishing collection. I loved the Punch and Judy exhibit, as well as all of the Asian puppets.

We followed the museum tour with a performance -- The Tales of Edgar Allan Poe. It was superb and I was transfixed. Since it was Valentine's weekend, they had some special and very fun extras--like writing a broken-hearted Valentine and having your "Poe-trait" taken (with a fake Poe mustache). I would highly recommend this quirky and intimate museum to everyone. You should definitely catch a show if you can!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

A rare gem and tremendous experience. I admit the museum aspect is not showy but educational and interesting. The performances are always top notch.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Many people don't realize the pupperty center is for adults too.

Occasionally they have great performances that would appeal only to adults. I attended one at Halloween. We tailgated in the parking lot and then went in for a spooky puppet show.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I would really like to give this a higher rating and I really did enjoy the experience but need to take some things into consideration.
The museum really needs a disclaimer regarding age appropriateness. I don't think younger elementary and below would enjoy it. It is dark and scary in some areas and one of the first rooms you come to has the word "profane" in the title and listening stations that are up out of reach of children. I would not expect to have to worry about that from a puppetry museum or to have to explain to my children why they should not listen to it. This area of the center needs to be rethought and maybe split into two separate galleries. Even the other exhibit areas did not offer much hands on opportunities for younger children. I really did enjoy the Jim Henson exhibit.
The show we saw was good although I admit to dozing off a bit in it. The form used was rod and shadow and it was quite interesting to see a full blown production used. I especially enjoyed the "behind the scenes" talk once it was over and learning how some things were accomplished. I cannot emphasize enough to read the descriptions of the shows before going to make sure it will be something that interests you or your children. I probably would have passed on this show and gone another day but it was an outing for my daughter's birthday and this was what she really wanted to do.
The puppet making workshop was a little disappointing. They allowed way too many people into the room at one time and it was a bit overwhelming. For those people who are not the crafty type it would have been nice to have had some verbal instruction about getting started on the project apart for the written instructions and sample on the table. The written instructions were not super clear.
I must have missed the instructions to hold onto our tickets after the puppet show in order to get into the puppet making workshop because I could not locate mine when we got to the room. My daughter and her 3 friends were all much more responsible than me because they had kept up with their tickets. The fellow handing out the kits was a bit over militant regarding the tickets because he was reluctant to let me in without the ticket and wanted to see my receipt. I had bought the tickets several weeks earlier and no longer had the receipt. Here I was the one adult with four girls and he could not give me the benefit of the doubt about misplacing my ticket? He did let me in but I thought he was a bit over the top. The girls were pleased with their projects though.
Overall, we enjoyed the Center and will probably return for another show. I do wish they would offer the option of just coming for a show and not paying to go the the museum.

1  Thank PatriotGal