“Adult Puppet Performances Not To Be Missed”

Center for Puppetry Arts
Ranked #20 of 292 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Center for Puppetry Arts is a unique cultural treasure - a magical place where children and adults are educated, enlightened and entertained. Since 1978, the Center has introduced millions of visitors to the wonder and art of puppetry and has touched the lives of many through enchanting performances, curriculum-based workshops and the hands-on Museum, as well as Distance Learning and Outreach Programs.
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Although the museum at the CPA is rather spare and unimaginitive, the classic children's shows rank in the stratosphere of the great Bil and Cora Baird show in NYC in the 60's and 70's but the adult oriented night events are simply brilliant and the uniqueness of those of all ages to experience the magic of the nation's finest puppeteers is a gift to the people of the South and has a superb reputation amongst puppeteers around the world

1  Thank expo66

Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

The whole museum seemed like it should have just been an exhibit in another museum...very small. There was one section that was rather scary, with puppets moving on their own. I went for a Jim Henson exhibit, which was really interesting, but otherwise I would not return.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We just saw the Headless Horseman of Silly Hollow and it was great fun for the whole family. Very well done, cute story, and funny for both kids and adults. My kids had a great time making a puppet after the show and they had a little puppet stage/ curtain set up for them to try them out when they were done. Big fun. Oh, and we got to see Kermit in the Jim Henson museum. :-)

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This past weekend I attended two puppet shows at this theater. We came all the way from Chattanooga to do so. We took our 5 year old twin boys to see "Legend of Silly Hollow" and they loved it! The theater was filled with laughter! Even the adults laughed! Very highly recommend for kids about 4 to 12.

Then that night my husband and I went to see "The Ghastly Dreadfuls" which is an adult Halloween puppet show. We loved it! It was excellent. I think they won't be doing it anymore but if there other adult shows are of this caliber than I highly recommend them! They even sold wine and beer. I got my face painted like a zombie. The whole atmosphere was great!

You get a puppet craft with admission to the kid puppet shows and my boys enjoy doing those. They also love playing in the museum. I very much recommend you take a trip here and attend a show with or without kids. They have a variety of shows so you are bound to find one you like and then make sure to check out the museum too.

The only complaint I have is the downstairs theater does not have super comfortable seating. It is okay for a shorter show but it starts to hurt for a longer show.

Also they have their own parking lot in downtown Atlanta! That is a rare thing! Free parking!

1  Thank aprilsumner
Reviewed October 16, 2012

While my son is not a big puppet fan, we had a great time at a birthday party here. Show was very well done.

1  Thank Laura S