“I was like a kid again!!!”

Center for Puppetry Arts
Ranked #20 of 293 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Center for Puppetry Arts is a unique cultural treasure - a magical place where children and adults are educated, enlightened and entertained. Since 1978, the Center has introduced millions of visitors to the wonder and art of puppetry and has touched the lives of many through enchanting performances, curriculum-based workshops and the hands-on Museum, as well as Distance Learning and Outreach Programs.
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I took my 5 year old twin boys here with their Grandads. We saw "The Little Pirate Mermaid" puppet show. We went on a Sat and it was not really that crowded for a Sat which was nice. The show was very neat but one of my boys found it a little scary. I loved it and was just like a kid again the whole time! The museum has a ton of Jim Henson puppets including Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Muppets and Labyrinth. "Labyrinth" is my favorite movie of all time and I was just so happy to see some of the original puppets from the movie. I also was happy to see the puppets from my childhood shows.
They have some interactive things like a dinosaur shadow puppet theater and a rod puppet theater and a couple other buttons to push. We also got to do the Puppet workshop with our show admission. The kids enjoyed making a stingray marionette.
I really cannot wait to go back and see the Halloween show for adults or to see another show with my kids. The best part is they have their own parking lot for free to park in which is so awesome and not common for downtown Atlanta.
I highly recommend this for people with kids and for kids at heart!

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I loved this place because it brought me back to my childhood. There was a lot of Jim Henson memorabilia from Labrinth, Fraggle Rock, etc and those were so much a part of my growing up. You also learn a lot about puppetry and its history. The show for the kids was really cute too. It also was quiet and not too busy.

Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Took grandchildren ages 2-9 for a show & backstage tour. They all loved it! Hands on project making puppet at the end was a great addition. Wonderful afternoon trip.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

We've been here for six years and each show is more impressive than the last. Amazing talent and very informational about all of the types of puppetry forms and handlers. Who knew?!

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Anybody that loves puppetry will be mesmerized for a few hours. The puppet exhibits are memorable, especially if you are a fan of Sesame Street and Jim Henson. The've got Big Bird( the real deal). Check out the puppet show. If you've never seen a top notch puppet show, you are in for a treat. You might think this place is just for kids, they will love it, but the memories brought back for this 40 year old were great. Gotta love Kermit!