“Price does not meet expectations.”

JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #27 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Arrival:

We arrived at the hotel in the evening and made use of Valet parking. Our valet parking experience from check in to check out was great… fast and friendly service. We didn't have to wait at all. When reserving the room we added some requests using Marriott virtual concierge. We asked for High floor, extra pillows, refrigerator and a fruit bowl (cost extra) to be in the room when we arrived. When filling out the virtual concierge I also asked for any help they might offer in making this a special stay for my wife as she was 25 weeks pregnant at the time and this was going to be our last weekend away for a while. On arrival, none of the requests we made were granted. Although, Robert, at the front counter did congratulate us on our baby.

Confusion:

While the requests were not really critical to our stay it was rather disappointing that they didn't accommodate any of them. The only thing we really wanted was the fruit for the baby. We called down to the concierge on duty and they apologized for not filling the requests and told us it was too late in the evening and that we would have to wait until morning. Fair enough (although odd as they offer 24 hour room service). They asked what time would be good and I explained that 9am would be fine. The next morning it was 10am and still no fruit. We decided to go downstairs and speak with the concierge as we wanted help making reservations for dinner that night. We brought up the virtual concierge requests made including that we had been told we would have fruit in the room over an hour prior. The concierge, Rory, was very helpful and polite. He helped us reserve a nice reservation at a nearby restaurant and also got us the extra pillows and the refrigerator. He apologized for the fruit mix up and told us they would take care of it and that we would not have to pay for it. He meant well. However, upon arriving in the room we had two bowls of (not so fresh) fruit and ended up paying for one of them anyway.

The room/hallway:

We opted to get a larger corner room. While the rooms were a bit dated they did appear clean except for a very overwhelming musty smell (which we reported). The bathroom had a separate shower stall and tub. 20 years ago the marble floors and counters would have been very impressive but wear and tear has shown through over the years. It was still a nice touch though. The bathroom was as clean. We did have issues with the water pressure and consistency. To fill the tub it would have taken over an hour at the rate the water came out. The shower seemed to have better pressure, but it kept changing temperature and we found ourselves constantly adjusting to keep from being burned or from being too cold. The TV was a nice flat screen that had a nice clear picture...although on occasion we did have a little bit of tiling on the screen. There is a safe in the room that was large enough to hold a laptop...which was nice. The hallway outside the room, while clean, had several spots on the ceiling that were in obvious need of repair from water damage. The elevators seemed to all be working and were mostly clean except for one of them that had some gum stuck to the rails that later in the day had been cleaned up. In all the atmosphere of the hotel, while dated, was clean and comfortable. The only complaint I have in this area was the maid waking us up very early in the morning of check-out. I would recommend putting your "do not disturb" sign up if you don't want to be scared out of bed with an unscheduled wake up call. When we got to the door and opened it we had heard her go down each room in the hallway and do the same thing....she was at least 12 doors down in a matter of 60 seconds.

Pool and fitness area:

While we didn't actually use the fitness area, we did take a quick tour and found it to be very nice. It had a wide variety of equipment to choose from. Many of the pieces had personal monitors for watching TV. We did make use of the pool. The pool area was dated and could use some maintenance including some fresh paint and repairs on a broken latter in the deeper end of the pool. The floors were a bit slippery as well, so be careful. The water in the pool was very clean. The temperature was perfect. In all our pool experience was ok. We did not use the hot tub, but it was in working order as we saw others using it.

The Restaurant:

Lenox Grille- with Executive Chef Todd Thompson
I saved this one for last as it was the worst experience we had at this hotel. On our first night at the hotel we were hungry and decided to try out the Lenox Grille. The dining area itself looked nice and with just a little more work had the potential to be very comfortable. The first thing we noticed was how empty it was. There was only one other couple seated when we arrived and one couple that showed up before we left. The first thing we ordered was their Artichoke crab dip appetizer. It arrived to the table in short time. My wife and I both tasted the dip and .....yuck. It tasted of tinny canned artichokes, mixed with mayo and very very fishy crab....served with lovely stale flat bread which was obviously from a box as they had the little perforations where the bread was to be broke into pieces. The waitress stopped to comment on the dip and stated that many people do not care for it and she asked if we wanted to return it to the kitchen which we took her up on. She did not charge us for it. She did bring us out a stale bread basket instead while we waited for our main dishes. My wife ordered the Salad with chicken breast. I ordered the Half Chicken Roasted with Vegetables. Lets start with the Half Chicken.... The roasted chicken arrived and was gray colored rubbery looking. The vegetables did appear to be an attempt at fresh vegetables (not frozen)....but I use the term fresh loosely in this case. The vegetables sat in a deep pool of flavorless chicken stock and the half chicken on top of that. Normally I like my chicken with skin on it, but due to the color and texture it was a real turn off, so I pealed it away to reveal the dry as a bone meat. I guess now I know why it was served in a puddle of chicken stock.... to help keep your mouth from drying out. Next...salad with ranch dressing and a chicken breasts. Can't really mess that up right? Oops! The lettuce was wilted. The dressing had absolutely no flavor. The chicken was served cold and also was dry as a bone. The whole thing looked like it had been prepared hours (days?) earlier and stored in the refrigerator along with the chicken on top. My wife took a couple bites and decided that for the safety of the baby she was done. We decided to cut our losses, pay the very expensive check. Our room package came with free breakfast a the same dining area. We decided to see if breakfast was any better and to our surprise, it actually was better, but still overly priced (if we had to pay). While down there, we mentioned our bad experience in detail to the hostess and she took our room number and told us she would speak with Chef Thompson. The next day at breakfast again, she told us that she had in fact had a long conversation with Chef Thompson and that he would be contacting us regarding it. We never did hear from him.

While, this review does sound a bit critical of many things, it should be noted that we never were really upset/mad with any given situation. This was our last weekend getaway for a while and we were determined to make the best of it regardless of the problems we had. I was simply detailed in my explanations to help better describe what we experienced. In all, the staff at this hotel were all very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself falls short of being top notch and could use some renovations. Due to its location, friendly staff and clean rooms, I would stay here again if I were in town and got a good deal on a room rate

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Krimlor
Write a ReviewReviews (1,130)

Reviewed February 9, 2011

The hotel is attached to the Lenox Square Mall complex and is the most luxurious of the Marriott brands. Though it is a large hotel, things are laid out very smartly. It's only a very short walk to the elevator from the entrance. Valet parking at $30 is pricey. The staff were very friendly, many of them calling me by name (I am easily identified at 6 feet and over 300 lb. The rooms were nice but don't compare well with Park Hyatt, etc. While it felt good, the shower probably broke every water conservation rule in existence (and Atlanta has major water problems).

Two glitches. Coming in late one night we found the ice machine inoperative. Calling the desk, the rep said they would send someone to fix it. That helps the next guy but not me. No offer to bring ice or tell me closest floor with on operating machine.

Second, one morning there were no washcloths in the bathroom. The sort of thing you don't notice until you reach for it. The desk clerk was properly apologetic for each error, and at this level of accommodation it shouldn't happen.

The mall is about 250 feet down an enclosed corridor and should satisfy even the worst shopoholic.

Overall a very nice place, we would love to stay there again.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I checked into the JW Buckhead Thursday Jan 27 for 3 nights. I was in a regular room and ended up getting an upgrade to a suite for $20 more. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The suite was nice and spacious. The hotel overall was nice but could probably use a renovation sometime soon to keep up with all the other new hotels in the area.

I went out to dinner and got back to my room at about 11pm. Shortly after I decided to take a shower then go to bed. Bad news! There was no hot water. I let the shower run for about 10 min, still no hot water.

I called the front desk and they sent up an engineer. He confirms there is no hot water becuase the boiler was off? He said he was going to fix the problem. So about 30 min later I get hot water. It is now after 12am and i really wanted to get some sleep as I had a meeting the next morning early. Before I showered I used the toilet and when I flushed it, the water almost came out of the bowl. It went back down and I flushed it again to see if it repeated. It did. So now I am calling the front desk again. They send up the engineer again who confirms the toilet is messed up and wouldn't be able to be fixed that night. I told him I had had enough of this and was tired of all the disasters happen in this room and expressed that I wanted to change rooms.

They put me in another suite. I decide I'm going to shower and deal with management in the morning as it is now after 1 am. I am begining to wonder if I am staying at a JW Marriott or the Holiday Inn? The front desk manager that I was dealing with that night made no offer of concessions for all the inconvenience I had endured.

The next day I get back to hotel in the evening from my meeting and go to the front desk to speak to the manager about the horrible night I had. The front desk told me that the manager would call me in my room cause they were not available.

About 30 min later, I get a knock on my door and it's the shift manager. He hears all that happened to me and I asked him how was Marriott going to make this right as I was about ready to check out and go stay else where.

He stepped up and comped my room for the night before, also gave me reward points added to my Marriott Rewards card good for another night stay at a Marriott property. Then he also said to go ahead and order a meal before I check out and he would comp it. I was very satisfied with what he did for me and enjoyed the rest of my stay in my new suite. The managers name was Rick Gary and he saved Marriott from losing a customer. I was just expecting my room comped for the bad night and he went above and beyond to make things better. I will for sure stay at this property again my next time in Buckhead.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Thisguy007
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I've stayed here a few times on business travel. The hotel is nice and it is clean, the staff is always very friendly. The last time I stayed here I had some issues with hot water in my room. Maintenance came to look at the issue & told me something I could do to hopefully fix the issue. They were full so they couldn't move me to another room. They did give me some Marriott Reward points for the issue. I did notice the hotel was very noisy at night. I was in an end room & there was a still a lot of noise. I could hear doors slamming late into the the night. Overall I was happy with the hotel & I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Stayed here with several friends in early October. We had several rooms, and all rooms were very nicely appointed and clean. Hotel is what you;d expect from a JW Marriott. They had lemon water in a cooler at check-in, nice touch.

I am familiar with JW Marriott hotels and I was very impressed with this particular hotel. We had an easy stay, no problems, everyone's friendly and respectful. We also go a good rate, making it even better for us.

All the staff are very friendly, and the hotel bar gets a good crowd with friendly people., the bartender was very nice and talkative.

The location is pretty good, you are within walking distance of several shopping and dining options, and everything else in Buckhead is a short cab ride away.

It is also adjacent to the public transit system, very convenient.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2010

A great room, a great hotel if you don't mind the $$$$. Staff was ok nothing special. I would rather stay at other places for two nights instead of the same $$$ for one night. Good place for a company that can afford it or for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2010

My husband died a month ago. My daughter decided it was time to get me out of the house. She arranged a Saturday stay at JW Marriott . It was sheer bliss. I have trouble with arthritis. The wonderful woman at the garage actually helped me carry my bags up the steps. All the staff go out of their way to help . The room # 315 was not large but the bathroom was huge. IT was blue marble. The shampoos and soaps were pure bliss. The room was quiet and I slept well for the first time in a month.

We took the subtle to Phipps for dinner and a movie. We both enjoyed the pool and exercise room later. The jacuzzi is the perfect temperature and bubbles for as long as you want. The sauna was also perfect. The breakfast buffet is high $19.00 a person but looked yummy. We had a continental breakfast at the coffee shop.
The best thing to me is the location. There is a back entrance to Lennox so you don't have to go out side at all.
I highly recommend the JW Marriott.

• Stayed: October 2010