“Great Location”

JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #26 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 30, 2014

You cannot beat this location, shopping, food and entertainment are all within walking distance. The hotel has very nice meeting space and the staff is very god. For me, I thought a JW was a bit more high end and this felt like a regular Marriott to me.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,132)

Reviewed June 29, 2014

My wife and I just returned from one night at the JW. We are silver level reward members with Marriott.
We booked a club level king room with valet parking and breakast at the club level included.

Arrived at 1:30 and was told that the only room available was on the 5th floor but that we would still have access to the 25th floor lounge. I was not thrilled with this but agreed and headed up to the 5th floor. Room was unacceptable. Smelled dank and moist...almost moldy. Front desk took our phone number and called us an hour later with a room on the 23rd floor. This was a corner king. Very nice but also had a musty odor.

Both rooms appeared to have worn carpeting and old toilets that did not want to flush but eventually did. The air conditioning is barely acceptable during daytime and totally unacceptable during bedtime. It seems like the air conditioning is set on timers and there's nothing you can do about it. We both woke up in the middle of the night very hot..

Obviously the good things about the hotel include the location, the service, and the views from the 25th floor. Lots of hotels nearby...do your research, we didn't...

1  Thank Seth L
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Thank you for your post and your loyalty as a Silver Rewards Member. I am sorry we did not provide the experience you would expect from the JW Marriott Atlanta. I have personally followed up with our engineering and housekeeping teams to ensure we thoroughly inspect these rooms and specifically checking the thermostats in the 25th floor corner rooms to make sure they are operating efficiently. They do not have timers on them but do have sensors that recognize when a guest room is occupied. I appreciate you letting us know. I am happy you enjoyed the location of the hotel and our service and hope that you will consider visiting us again.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were in ATL for a baseball game, Braves v. Angels, and the JW had a great rate for the weekend. The property was very nice and the room was nice and large. We were able to enjoy the concierge lounge which was nice but the food was just so, so. The hotel is adjacent to Lenox Square mall in Buckhead so if you like to shop then this hotel is for you. It's within walking distance to awesome shops and fabulous restaurants!

Room Tip: Corner rooms had nice large windows but ours didn't have much of a view other than Macy's.
1  Thank FLIslandGirl
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Thank you for your recent visit. I am glad you were able to take advantage of the great weekend rates to attend the Braves game and had the opportunity to enjoy the concierge lounge. I appreciate your comments regarding the food in the concierge lounge. I will be certain to share your comments with our culinary team as we strive for excellence. I do hope you will plan to visit again soon.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Very good location in the middle of Buckhead shopping attractions, although the hotel is difficult to get into and out of due to heavy traffic and poor routing. Rooms were very nice, but AC needs to be a bit cooler. Excellent restaurants in the area so we did not eat at the hotel, but did use Starbucks coffee station in the lobby. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JMD_930

Thank you for your post. I am pleased to know you enjoyed the convenience of the hotel. I appreciate your comments regarding the Air Conditioning and will have our engineering staff check the room thermostats to ensure they are operating efficiently. Thank you for sharing.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Let's just say that I have been a loyal Marriott guest since the early 80s, even staying with them whilst I was an employee of Holiday Inn Corporate. This stay put an end to my loyalty. The property is beautiful and the staff has all the manners. It goes down hill from there. The first room given to us was very nice except that it smelled like a dead mouse! I called and they moved us to a smaller room, non corner, near the elevator (all things I asked to not have!). The room was fine and we settled in. We had hoped to sleep in but at 6 AM we were awakened by loud voices (men and women). We thought it was outside or in the hall or by the elevators. We waited to see if the noise would end and it didn't. So at 6:45 I called the front desk and explained the situation having figured out it was the room next door. They said they would send up security. I said no, I don't want any blow back on us, just move us. I was assured that they handle this all the time and that they would move the people. Being annoyed, I accepted. At 7:15 the noise had not ended so we called again getting a different front desk person who told me a different story. At this point I slipped on some clothes and went to the front desk to explain the situation and try to find a solution. I was told that the room next door had been allowed to CHECK-IN EARLY at 6 AM and that it was 3 men to which I explained that there were women in the room as well which apparently came as a shock to the Manager. Repeatedly I was told how sorry Marriott was for this inconvenience. Their solution was to move us to a PURE room as compensation (along with 5000 marriott points). Honestly all we wanted was to get some sleep/rest so I agreed. Once awakened in the morning I don't get to go back to sleep! While these PURE rooms are nice, they aren't worth 2 times the price as the air purifier is a stand alone unit that is loud as it has to move air... save your money. The fact that they let 3 guys (plus women) that had been out all night partying check in early at 6AM shows a total lack of judgement, and respect / valuing of other guests and does not reflect well on the "class" of the property.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else in Buckhead. Hilton, Hyatt, Intercontinental, FourSeasons
3  Thank Bruce M
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Thank you so much for your loyalty to Marriott and your feedback. I am glad you found our hotel to be beautiful and enjoyed our staff. I am however disappointed to learn of your overall experience and wanted to let you know have shared your comments with our team. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to re-gain your trust and confidence and reconsider visiting us again in the future

Reviewed June 17, 2014

The staff at the JW Marriott in Buckhead (Atlanta) are incredible. From the moment our group of ten that included 5 ten and twelve year olds arrived, the staff were genuinely courteous and friendly. The hotel is lovely and located perfectly (near both Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza) in the Buckhead area. The courtesy van driver, Richard, was especially helpful and just a phone call away. From the time we arrived I never got behind the wheel! The hotel rooms are spotless, the beds are comfortable, and atmosphere is truly Southern charming.

Room Tip: Since we had 5 children around the age of 10, we requested connecting rooms with double beds. Most c...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed overnight for a business trip and was rather unimpressed. There was nothing notably bad about the hotel but it seemed to be lacking in elegance. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the service was nice but there was just not spark in the hotel itself.

I arrived in the early afternoon and the only restaurant that was open was in the bar so my lunch ended up being upscale bar food. Dinner was hosted by the meeting sponsor and served by the hotel. It ended up being a fiasco. It was supposed to consist of soup, salad, & entree. Some people were served all 3 while others only received soup or salad. Steaks were not cooked to proper temperatures and when they were sent back several people had to wait for over an hour to have there entree replaced.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel if you need an overnight stay but I would not ever consider it a destination and I would definitely eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thank you for your candid posting. While I am pleased that your guest room was comfortable and the service nice, I was disappointed to learn your experience at our hotel was missing the "spark". We pride ourselves on exceeding our guest’s expectations as well as providing exceptional service with delightful chef-crafted menus and food. You can be certain that I will personally follow up on your service experience. I do hope you will give our dining options another chance in the near future.