“Disappointing for the price but great location”

JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #27 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 21, 2008

This hotel has a great location for shopping with Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza. The rooms are pleasant but the TV is small. The restaurant which was supposed to be open until 10 had nobody at the desk when we showed up at 9:30. We waited a few minutes but nobody showed up. The front desk staff was slow and made several mistakes. For example, I asked that the $19 self parking charge be put on my bill and the clerk told me to use my room key to go in and out. She never activated it though for this which caused a delay in leaving the garage. She also tried to tell me the guaranteed king I had reserved was not available. It took an assistant manager getting involved before I was given the room. The concierge staff was super. I wouldn't stay here again though. There are other great hotels nearby--the Ritz Carlton, etc. and this one isn't living up to the standards I'd expect at this price.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,130)

Reviewed June 9, 2008

I booked 4 rooms at this hotel for a college trip. The hotel was wonderful. However the front desk experience was a little more complicated than it should have been.

The rooms were wonderful and super clean. An excellent experience at a Marriot. My one complaint from the trip was when I got locked out of my room. My friends and myself had gone to the pool to swim, when we came back up our rooms would not open. My roommate and I went downstairs and we both thought it would take an act of congress to get a key for our room. The hotel was secure to say the least.

Overall I would stay here again with hesitation, but make sure you don't get your room key wet or they might call secret service!

• Stayed: March 2007
Reviewed June 3, 2008

A bunch of stayed at this hotel and we basically have no complaints at all. Every person who works at that hotel - concierge, valet, front desk, etc. was extremely friendly. Our room rate included free parking, which was great since parking in Atlanta overall is pretty pricey.

The rooms and bathrooms were a nice size and very clean. I have no complaints there. The walls were also pretty sound proof - - I didn't hear noise from outside or noise from the rooms next door. In terms of the food at the restaurant, we ordered room service one night and everything was really good. It also arrived pretty quickly. We also had the breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant which was very good, with excellent service.
I also loved that the hotel had ice water with lemon and cucumber in the lobby - spa water is always refreshing!

It is definitely a plus to have the mall connected to the hotel. I had to run over to Bloomingdales to buy something quickly, so it was nice to walk over there without having to go outside.

I have stayed in two other Marriots in downtown Atlanta, and the JW in Buckhead is the best Marriot so far. I would definitely stay here again during my next visit.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2008

The room was nice, as was the location - the attachment to the mall was very nice for a rainy day. The staff, especially the business center/front desk staff were great. Hotel shuttle takes you to many different places in the area. The bar/restaurant scene is a little dead, but food is fine.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2008

I highly recommend this hotel. I booked a weekend here for my sisters and I as we wanted to shop at connecting Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza across the street and to use the spa services from DASS Salon. We preferred to stay in Buckhead at an upscale hotel and this hotel fit the bill. The front desk and the concierge services were very helpful to us as far as getting us into restaurants. One of the staff gave us wrong information about the length of a Taxi cab ride to one of the restaurants, which ended up costing us three times what he said it would. The Valet staff did arrange for us to be driven to Phipps Plaza and back because it was raining one afternoon. Our rooms were very clean, comfortable and nicely furnished. We were at the end of the hall on the tenth floor (great views) with two connecting rooms and our own separate entrance/hallway. The Sunday breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant was delicious and the service was excellent. Of course, we were tipping left and right but it was well worth it. Everything from check in to check out and in-between went smoothly. The snack/coffee shop in the hotel was top notch, you could get everything from bandaids to a danish. When I got home, I realized I left my phone charger. I called the hotel and they put me in touch with the Loss Prevention staff. They recovered my charger and sent it to me overnight at no charge.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2008

We travelled from London and booked a shopping package which included breakfast, parking ( which we didn't need ) and a discount voucher for Macy's.

The service from all staff was friendly and extremely helpful. The room was spacious with a great view over the area. It was really good to be right next to the Lenox Mall and only a few minutes walk from Phipps Plaza. There was a great selection at breakfast.

The hotel is located right next to a Marta station which made it very easy for us to get around wihtout a car. Would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2008

This hotel is certainly adequate but really doesn't impress for the price.

Rooms are somewhat small and I was stunned to find an old, conventional television rather than the new high-definition flat screens that most of the higher-level Marriotts have made standard.

There were also some other minor annoyances. For example, at check-in I was told to pick a chocolate out of a bowl and unwrap it to win something (due to being an Marriott Rewards Gold member). I "won" free access to the Concierge but was immediately told, "Oh, sorry, the Concierge is closed." Huh? Okay, then how about an alternate "prize"? I realize this is a very minor thing but it didn't come across very well. Otherwise, hotel staff were friendly and helpful.

I also ask specifically each time to be away from elevators, yet I was placed right next to them and had to put up with the accompanying noise (which does travel at this hotel).

Finally, a minor issue was that the pool area was in need of a bit more regular housekeeping attention. There were soggy tissues and some other trash around the pool area. Could someone come by periodically to keep it cleaned up? I would expect that at a J.W. Marriott. Otherwise, the pool itself is fairly large and pleasant -- until a large number of kids showed up and it turned into an aquatic Romper Room.

In terms of other details, the lobby area is okay but not especially noteworthy as in some of the more impressive J.W. properties.

The fact that this hotel is connected by a long corridor to Lenox Mall is very advantageous if you want to shop, and there are some restaurant choices in and around the mall within walking distance. I did not park a vehicle here (fortunately, as I believe that valet parking is about $24 a day and the self-parking is also very high). If you do have a vehicle while staying here, you of course are near numerous restaurants, shopping, and everything else in Buckhead, with Midtown not too far, either.

The $12.95 a day wired internet access is a bit much given the average room price at this place (couldn't they throw that in as a freebie?) But this seems to be standard for the J.W. and Renaissance properties (though some are recently offering a lower price for "standard" internet and a higher price for "high speed.")

This hotel has the typical, very comfortable Marriott beds with pillowtop mattress and so on. Room temperature control was also good. Nice view from the higher floor where I stayed, but the window in my room was very small -- maybe 4 feet across at much. So unless you actually stepped over to the window, you weren't exactly struck by any panoramic views.

Overall, if this hotel was simply a Marriott, I would probably rate it higher. But as a J.W., I expect something a bit more impressive. Most other J.W.'s where I've stayed are better. I would recommend this hotel if you get a special rate, but I would be disappointed if I paid full rack rate to stay here.

Stayed: April 2008