“How beautiful is this hotel?” 4 of 5 stars

JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #33 of 177 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Statesboro, Georgia, United States
“How beautiful is this hotel?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I am glad we finally got to have a meeting in hotel that is the epitome of elegance and service. The rooms, the fitness equipment, the catered meals, the staff all top line. My room had a wonderful view of the ATL skyline, and being attached to Lenox Square is always a plus. Our catered buffet lunches were superb, and the staff attached to our meetings were very amenable. We typically stay closer to the airport, but I am so very happy we came to Buckhead. I ate downstairs at the bar one night, and only OK food, but being as this hotel is so close to really good restaurants, it is not important to eat there, anyway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My son and came to Atlanta for our annual trip to see the Braves. We stayed at the JW a few years ago. Although the hotel was nice, the experience was just ok. The room was nice but had the old style TV. Room service was slow, staff ok. The only thing that was great was being next door to the Lenox Mall. Last year we stayed at at the Omni but decided this year to give the JW another try. I'm so glad I did. It was a completly different experience from our previous stay. The staff was genuinely helpful and concerned. After checking in (10am) I left the front desk thinking I remembered where to go to get to the room. I saw a security person and asked her. She was so helpful. She went on the elevator with us, took us to our room,made sure our keys worked and if the room met our standards. I have never received service like this. The security person's name is Gwen Rankin. She gave us her card and told us if we need anything to contact her. The room was very nice and had the flat screen TV that we come to expect from a high class hotel. My son and I had plans the next day and wanted room service. We thought we had to get up at 6am to place our order so that could get to our destiation on time. Well we woke up late and was going to change our plans. I called room service and they told me they will be there in 30 mins or less. I was pleasantly surprised. Our previous experience with room service, it took them almost 2 hrs to bring our food. Needless to say my son and I were able to keep our plans. After this trip it was decided that if I'm able to get the great Government rate as I did this trip, the JW will be our hotel whenever we visit Atlanta.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed 1 night in late May with a group of colleagues for an event we hosted at the hotel. Our experience was SO uneven that I'm rating down the middle as a sort of compromise. It seems that some rooms might have been renovated, and others not, but my room was great and spotless.

Hotel staff was spectacular to begin with, both for guest services and from the banquet/event side. But when our event attendees turned out to be parking at the mall next door, the hotel staff acted like this had never happened before and they didn't anticipate it, which strikes me as unlikely. It seems like they should have known it could be an issue and have warned us. Drama ensued. Then, the event and a/v staff we had met had left for the day when all heck broke loose with the equipment just as our event started. The teenage "tech" they had left onsite was sweet and well-intentioned but totally out of his depth.

The hotel discounted almost all the event rental costs and bought us drinks, but it can't undo the negative experience our guests had at the event. If you're just looking for a room, I think it would be great, but if you're considering an event here, caveat emptor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for recognizing the spectacular staff we have at the hotel. The hotel recently underwent a full room’s renovation which has received numerous positive comments from our guests. I'd like to offer my deepest apologies for the parking and audio visual challenges you and your fellow attendees encountered. I am disappointed to hear that we did not handle both situations appropriately and assure you that I will personally discuss your comments with our team to prevent this from happening again in the future. We strive to deliver the highest level of service to every guest to insure there are no surprises. I invite you to give us another chance to show you that we can host your next meeting flawlessly and am confident that the experience will much better.
east greenwich, rhode island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful rooms and very accommodating hotel staff. Bed was not comfortable as typical JWMarriott and air conditioning was spotty-- either too hold or not cold enough. But, would return. Dinner at Nob Creek restaurant was interesting. Private function for our group but spotty less than stellar service.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Good afternoon. I appreciate the kind words regarding our staff and guest rooms but was disappointed to hear about some of the inconsistencies you encountered. Please accept my sincere apologies for those challenges. I have shared your review with our staff so that we can benefit from your comments and focus on providing an outstanding experience. I look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Atlanta.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The location was great and service was great (for the most part). Definitely a convenient place to stay for access to the mall and I'm fairly sure I was upgraded to a Deluxe Room because I had more space than a fellow colleague (including a little seating area). Good bonus for guests too is the house car - they took us to some great local restaurants.
I hated the coffee maker (there's so much waste from the in-room coffee maker) but there's a Starbucks in the lobby. The restaurant didn't have a lot of warmth but the staff was friendly and the breakfast buffet had a good selection. When I called pre-arrival, the Concierge was very helpful and friendly so I must have interacted with a different person during my actual stay.
Overall, I'd have no hesitation staying here on my next visit to ATL.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with me. I’m glad that you enjoyed our service and a few of the amenities we offer at the hotel including our car service. It will take our guests anywhere within a 2 mile radius of the hotel. Having the mall attached to the hotel also makes it very convenient for our guests to access without having to leave the building. Hope to see you again soon.
Virginia Beach, VA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed here for business meetings and found the hotel in a fabulous location, close to many restaurants and adjacent to the Lenox Mall. There is a door leading right to escalators that go to this upscale Mall which is great for shopping or just browsing. The rooms are really nice and more upscale than the plain Marriott which is expected. I am a gold member and had access to the concierge lounge which had wonderful breakfasts and evening snacks. The service there was great as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and was able to take advantage of our wonderful location. The property was recently renovated which has given us a new and upscale feel. As a Gold member I know you are on the road a lot so I want to also thank you for your business and loyalty to our company. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on several different business trips over the past ten years, most recently in April 2013, and have consistently had a good experience. I will continue to stay here on trips to the Buckhead area.

The hotel is clean and well-maintained. Staff is friendly and very helpful - delivering boxes to my room, sending a fax for me at no charge, and even driving me to a nearby office building that was just a tad far for walking. The hotel is attached via walkway to the Lenox Mall.

This may be a strange thing to rave about, but I ordered oatmeal from room service for breakfast, and it was BY FAR the best dang oatmeal I have ever had. Ever. Sweet, creamy, delicious. The only negative is - I had intended to have a healthy breakfast, and I am sure that oatmeal was far, far from healthy. But so good.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business