“Great staff and fabulous views” 4 of 5 stars

JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #34 of 177 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Breckenridge, Colorado
“Great staff and fabulous views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband stays here so regularly the hotel is practically his second home but it was great for me to come and experience it too. We have Executive club access so that always makes a stay very enjoyable and the staff in the lounge were particularly helpful. The hotel has recently been refurbished and while still very Marriott in style is has more personal touchs that I have seen in other properties. Big plus points are the location, loads of great restaurants in easy walking distance, wonderful friendly helpful staff at all levels and a new thing was the little market shop by reception which was fantastic, not only the sweets etc that you would expect but drawers of everything from new shirts and ties to aspirin etc plus although pricey not unreasonable - my 4 headache pills were $3 but a necessity at the time. The only reason I am not giving the hotel and excellent is the very long wait for room service on Sunday night, Our pizza took forever to arrive and we had 2 or 3 phone calls to see if it was there or not which didn't inspire confidence that it was ever coming!

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor facing Atlanta as the views are really stunning
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Bellevue
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed three nights at JW Marriott in Buckhead on a leisure trip to Atlanta. I agree with most other Tripadvisors that the hotel is a class act, with great sleeping accommodations (fantastic beds!), wonderful room appointments, and a good fitness room, loaded with equipment. However, for the following reasons, it doesn’t get to the “Excellent” rating from me (as an experienced Marriott Platinum traveler):
Upon arrival, a small package was waiting for me, but I was not notified of it upon check-in (as is normally the case). When a co-worker asked me if I had received the package, I inquired at the front desk (more than one day into my stay). There were no notes on my record of a package waiting for me, but indeed there was. The storage room security person confirmed it had arrived days in advance of my arrival, but no one bothered to put notes in my reservation record for the arrival. The package was promptly delivered once it was discovered;
Structurally, the Concierge Lounge isn’t large enough to accommodate the number of guests that have access to it during most week days. Breakfast is good, service in Concierge is excellent, but it just isn’t large enough. Also, the chair for using the Concierge Lounge computer is much, much, much too low. It needs to b e replaced with a higher chair. Also structurally, in a standard room, there’s very little room on the bathroom counter to accommodate dop kits for two persons. The sink area is simply too small. All other aspects of the bathroom are good.
There are some rooms facing south (towards downtown Atlanta) which overlook railroad tracks. In the middle of the night, light sleepers can definitely hear freight trains running besides the hotel. You might want to bring ear plugs just in case.
But the biggest problem of all is evening housekeeping. Turn down service (a standard procedure for Marriott Platinum members) was badly inconsistent. It happened on night # 1, but not on nights # 2 and # 3. When I called Guest Services at 10:45 pm on the second night to get refreshed towels, it took 55 minutes (and two phone calls) for the towels to finally be delivered. Because of the housekeeping failures on night # 2, I went to the front desk prior to the evening and made a special request to insure that there would be a turndown service (again, as is standard --- or supposed to be standard – for Platinum members). I was assured that it would happen. At 10:15 pm, upon going back to our hotel room, lo and behold NO turndown service had been performed. They tried to come up with some kind of excuse that I had my “Do Not Disturb” sign deployed outside the room, but that was not the case (the next door to me did, but not mine). Housekeeping simply messed up. This is an easy problem to fix.
Notwithstanding the above, if the price is right, I would return to the JW Marriott, but wary of making sure that the above issues (except for the structural ones) are taken care of.

Room Tip: Trains can be heard on the South side of the property (facing downtown Atlanta). If you want that v...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank mshbnyehud
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Good evening and thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. I am glad to know that you think the hotel is a class act but was disappointed to hear that you did not receive your package or turndown service in a timely manner. This is not the level of service we strive to deliver. I have personally reviewed your comments with key staff members so that we can insure this does not happen again. I do hope you will give us another chance to earn that excellent rating and thank you for being a loyal platinum member
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This past weekend I had two very special pieces of Jewelry stolen from my room. The staff were responsive at first and upon check out said they would be in touch. It has been 4 days, and I haven't heard from them. I am very disappointed in the JW Marriott and saddened from my loss. I have stayed in many hotels and have never had anything stolen before. I do not know what to do, except warn others.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank JenniferWa
Mike_Giamundo, General Manager at JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
April 4, 2013

Good morning and thank you for writing to let us know about your recent experiance at our hotel. I am sorry to hear about your missing jewerly and am disappointed to hear that our staff has not gotten back to you yet. I will personally follow up with them to insure that they follow up with you as soon as possible to share the results of their investigation. I certainly understand that the missing items were valuable to you and we should have been more responsive.
Thank you for being a valued customer
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I've always wanted to stay at the JW Marriott Atlanta since my first visit to Lennox Mall. While the hotel is very nice and swank looking from the outside, I didn't think it was worth the extra money when another Marriott Hotel is right across the street. All in all for a top of the line Marriott I thought the lobby wasn't that great the rooms compared favorably with a Courtyard and during my stay the clientele were rather rowdy.
What does make the hotel special is it's convenience to Marta, being attached to Lennox Square Mall and the many restaurants in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rwhatzo
Montgomery, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed recently at JW Marriott Buckhead with my wife and two teenage daughters for a shopping trip to ATL. I had not stayed in the hotel since the early 2000's, when it was terribly outdated and tired. I was very pleased when I arrived and the property for this stay and the hotel had been completely and wonderfully renovated. Everything was fresh and stylish. The only hint of the original design was the 1980's green marble in the elevator area and guest room bath. Our check-in process was wonderful... very quick, cookies and smoothies offered to us by a friendly staff member. Our room was great. We had a double/double deluxe and it was VERY large with nice furnishings, bedding, etc., and an incredible view of downtown Atlanta. Everything was clean, in good shape and worked property. Surprisingly, no turn down service, which I thought was odd. The only other problem we encountered (not the fault of the hotel) occurred when we finished dinner at Prime in Lenox Square Mall and tried to walk back to the hotel (the hotel is connected to the mall). The mall was dark, empty and all of the escalators we needed to use to get back to the hotel were shut down AND roped off with caution tape, like it was a crime scene! We had to step over the caution tape and walk down a stalled escalator to return to the hotel. Overall, it was a great stay in Atlanta.

Room Tip: High floor facing downtown Atlanta offers great views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JWLMontgomery_AL
April 4, 2013

Good morning. Welcome back.
I was glad to hear that you enjoyed our recently renovated hotel and the incredible view of downtown from your room. The guest rooms, restaurant and lobby lounge were all part of the renovation that was recently completed. Many of our guests have been pleased with the new look of the hotel.
Thank you for sharing your comments with us.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I arrived from the Marta and rolled right into the most amazing sunset across Atlanta. My bed, overstuffed with half a dozen pillows was heaven. I asked housekeeping not to touch a thing in my two day stay as I loved my room and needed nothing. This was a wonderful stay and I loved being attached to the super shopping mall as I had several meals there.
I think I will start looking at Marriott in a different light.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Stylelust
CLT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My second time staying at the Buckhead JW Marriott and still as good as the first visit.
Did the Priceline thing and got a room for an amazing price. Well worth every dollar paid.
Great being so close to the MARTA and the malls and easy access to the highways around.
Room was clean and comfortable and the staff always helpful. Hope I get the JW on my next trip to Atlanta.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family