New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead

JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #32 of 178 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great location for shopping!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Unfortunately I was only staying here for one night. The hotel is absolutely lovely. I was on the 24th floor in an executive room and it was excellent - in fact everything seemed brand new. Also very spacious. The hotel is attached to the mall so the location is great. I would definitely stay here again. Quality at a very reasonable price!!

Room Tip: Great view from upper floors
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Greensboro,NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

JW Marriott hotels are the top line in the Marriott name and this place was no exception.

Beautiful lobby, friendly service and a nice concierge lounge. Room was clean, comfortable and large.

Parking is $20 - only complaint. Its not like we are in a downtown city. Did not eat at the restaurant but there are plenty of choices around and just had a drink at the Lenox Square Grill.

Wonderful choice in Buckhead.

Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night passing through ATL on the way to Birmingham. The hotel was clean and the rooms were nice enough. Staff at check in and out were very pleasant. The only major issue we encountered was parking in the garage. The two times we needed to exit the cards would not work and we had to wait forever for someone to override. Parking is expensive anyway, pay a few more bucks and valet. I used the pool early in the morning and it was nice and peaceful. Sauna facilities as well.

• Stayed October 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I am a corporate traveller in Atlanta on business and booked this hotel several weeks in advance for a conference I was attending. The corporate rate was not inexpensive at &375.00 per night for a king room for a three night stay.

My husband and I arrived in around 10:45 pm at night and waited in line as the valet took our car. When we got to the front on the line we were told to "hold on a minute" then ignored as other travelers checked in to their rooms. This was embarrassing because we were so pointedly ignored it looked as if our charge card was declined or something.

We kept asking for attention and an explanation and were then told that they were oversold and that we were going to be staying at a different Marriott property. When I pointed out that I had this reservation in advance they said "so did these other people". They then continued to ignore us as we had to go and wait 10 minutes for our car to be brought around and load our luggage back in. As my husband tipped the valet (again), we loaded into the car in a stunned silence.

We arrived at the Marriott across the street and they were very nice and aplogized for the JW's lack of customer service. They then informed us that we were expected to go back to the JW Marriott the next day and check in. So... at Midnight we have a room for the night at a lesser hotel with a check out time of 11 am and then we are expected to sit around and wait hopefully for the 3pm check in at the JW Marriott (in case they decided we could actually stay there).

I will say they comped our room at the second marriott (199.00) / night, but as a corporate traveler, although I appreciate that, I would have preferred to have a place to stay where I expected and not be running around at midnight trying to find a hotel. I am not an unreasonable person and respond to good customer service. Had they handled this appropriately, I would have just written it off as a disappointing experience, which will happen during frequent travel.

What should have happened:
- They shouldn't have accepted the reservation if they were overbooked. I even re-confirmed that day of arrival.
- They had my Marriott number and could have called or emailed me that it was overbooked rather than letting us find our way in the dark, valet the car, tip and then haul our luggage out and wait in line.
- They should have been sincerely apologetic and had a quiet conversation with us to explain their error. Instead they just humiliated us.
- Finally they should have helped make certain we found our way to the other hotel.

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times and found it comfortable and adequate. However, since this was so horribly handled, I have zero confidence in their ability or desire to help a traveler that they strand and inconvenience. I am disappointed and wish they handled it differently.

Room Tip: Book at a different property.
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank CStockdale
London, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was here for a 3 day business event. The setting, attention to detail and very helpful and friendly staff all helped to make this event a great success. The food served was fabulous. The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. This hotel is in a very nice area of Atlanta about a 1/2 hour drive to the airport. Adjoining Lenox Square Mall is a definite plus.

Marblehead, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

A decent business hotel centrally located in Buckhead. I didn't see a restaurant in the hotel for breakfast, though I might have missed it. Rooms are fine and seem updated. Bathrooms are decent and also seem updated. I was on a high floor which really didn't make a difference as the views don't really look at anything. Staff was friendly enough.

Room Tip: I was on the 22nd floor. Didn't really matter. Nothing to look at in terms of view.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Great service by all employees that we dealt with.

The hotel connected to Lenox Square Mall was a major convenience. You can enter the mall without going outside.

The breakfast room served an excellent breakfast with great service.

Also, the concierges were very knowledgeable and friendly.

Room Tip: The front desk will be very helpful if you ask about the various rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family