“Best of Buckhand” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best of Buckhand”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This hotel is my preference because of it's location. Connected to Lenox Mall, JW Marriott is the perfect place to relax, unwind, shop, eat, and do just about everything. It's in the heart of Buckhead and is a 5 minute drive to every high-end restaurant (The Palm Restaurant, Houstons, Fogo de Chao, Cheesecake Factory, Ruth Chris Steakhouse, etc).

The hotel staff fulfilled my special requests within 20 minutes. The concierge and bell hop were very knowledgeable of the area and gave excellent recommendations.

I was in Atlanta to attend my cousins wedding. The food was amazing!!! The wedding was absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed this week at the JW Marriott in Buckhead and used their meeting rooms for a small conference. Service was impeccable and the facilities were very, very nice.

The service started at the valet stand where we were greeted with a smile and helped into registration. There was a bit of a line here but the folks behind the desk made eye contact with us and said they'd be right with us. I'm the type to always find something to do while I'm in line, so that doesn't bother me; I really appreciate the personal connection though as being ignored makes the wait seem longer. After we got our room keys, one of the employees helped us to the elevator (two women, large bags - very chivalrous of him).

Rooms were nice, with good amenities (soaps, etc.). Because I was responsible for the conference, they upgraded my room, and I had a terrace and free internet (more on that later). I had a beautiful view of the fall colors in the surrounding neighborhoods. My room was quiet - possibly because it was on the end of a hallway).

When I went to use the internet, it appeared I could only use a password (which I didn't have) or use my room number/name to log in. This second option required that I accept terms and pay $12.95 - I logged in, think I would have to dispute the charges since I was told I had free internet. When I went to check out, I was not charged - a pleasant finding. It's nice when a hotel keeps their word and smoothes over little things without you asking.

Our conference was for 40 people or so. The room was supposed to hold 50 but I'm pretty sure we would have had to leave our bags outside if we'd had that many. Aside from that concern, the facilities were excellent. We brought our own portable projector, which the hotel allowed. (If we'd use theirs, it would have been another $800 for the duration).This was another pleasant aspect of their service. We use a graphic recorder (an artist who captures the meeting in graphics) and the hotel was very helpful in making sure we had the right type of easels. Food service was excellent and the staff was awesome. I have several dietary restrictions and usually have to bring my own food. When one of the servers saw me, I expected a comment about not bringing outside food. I mentioned that I was gluten free and he promised to take care of me. Sure enough, he brought up some options to pick from, including a box of GF waffles for breakfast the next morning. One of the risks of eating out is you never know if something is really GF, so when he not only described my options but also showed them to me, I was really pleased. This fellow, who wasn't a manager or a special customer advocate, took care of me as if he had all the authority of a supervisor. If we meet in Atlanta again, I'll definitely go back because of this man. Awesome service!

Location is also a plus - the hotel is across the street from the Lenox MARTA station, making transport to/from the airport a breeze. At $2.50 per trip, this is a bargain compared to a cab ride. Also, there are restaurants and a mall across the street.

Finally, although it's not a critical aspect, the toiletries provided were lovely. After a very long day, it was nice to get into a hot shower and have better than average soaps/shampoo to use.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are quiet - according to my teammates, at least. End of the hall made the hall...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed here multiple times even during renovation and have always been very happy. The staff remembers you by name and can't do enough for you. Rooms are spacious, clean and practical. Easy access to Lenox mall for shopping and my regular restaurant is Houston's just over the road. Dante's sports bar is within 5 minutes walk and is a great place where sports meets good food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have wanted to stay at the JW Marriott for some time and took the opportunity on our last trip to Atlanta. The main advantage is the very convenient location to various Buckhead activities (restaurants, shopping). The rooms are quite small for the price and the bathrooms are very small. The furnishings are no better than normal Marriott and Hilton rooms.

There is a small restaurant which has a buffet breakfast, which at $50 for two is quite expensive. Self parking in the adjacent lot is $20. They have a lot of staff around if you need something. They offer shuttle service within a 2 mile radius of the hotel.

It was OK for the weekend. I would not want to stay much longer. In the area is a regular Marriott which offers the same convenient location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank jtbeknott
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here to celebrate my mom's birthday. The location is excellent, right in Buckhead and attached to Lenox Mall, one of my favorite mall's ever, and close to great shopping, restaurants and activities. The rooms are nice, just like all Marriott hotels. But, the real stand-out here is the service. They left a baloon, some chocolates and a hand-signed card from the staff for my mom's birthday, and several staff members remembered her from check-in and wished her a happy birthday as we came and went. Truly attentive and caring service.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city if possible
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is a good hotel at the upper end of the business travel market. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. It is very convenient for a major shopping centre which has several high end department store anchors as well as a fair scattering of designer shops.
The rooms are nice with all the standard amenities. There was just one thing that was wrong and it is not a fault of this hotel alone. During the night the guests in the next room arrived back in and conducted a very loud conversation. The sound proofing between the rooms was non existent. I am sure this hotel was built during the 70's or the 80's and has since been refurbished, at this stage the sound proofing should have been improved. There are always communicating doors between bedrooms in this type of hotel and I wonder how often these are actually used.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were recommended to the Buckhead area by reading Trip advisor reviews of Atlanta, and knowing the JW brand we were confident of a good stay..we stopped here 2 nights, a high room, facing the city skyline..large room, big bathroom, classy decor, quiet corridors ..nice bar, good restaurant and my wife & daughter shopped in the Lenox Mall adjacent to the hotel all the time ! We were very pleased with the staff service, location and quality of this place and would stay here again whenever in Atlanta ..well recommended ..

Room Tip: High level rear facing
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family