“Nice hotel, good location”

JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #30 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Nice hotel, good location”
Reviewed January 4, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for work the week of December 17th. The location is attached to Lennox Square mall so it was very convenient to get some last minute Christmas shopping in without having the hassle of driving to/from malls.

The hotel is located across the street from Lennox MARTA station and couldn't be easier to get to from the Airport, however it's pretty much a car-kinda-town so unless you plan to be in one location . .I'd drive.

The hotel itself was nice with good public rooms and the rooms themself were standard Marriott / Renaissance style.

The bedding and bathrooms were good also -- always nice to have a freestanding shower in the bathroom.

The only peeve I have really is to be charged for internet connection. In this day -- especially with lower category Marriott brands like Courtyard / Fairfield Inn / Residence Inn not only charging lower but offering free internet -- it's bothersome.

Nearby and walkable are plenty of restaurants both inside the mall and along the perimeter so there's no want for eating.

I didn't try the hotel restaurants as I'm Platinum and usually have breakfast in the lounge.

The lounge itself was fine and served a variety of breakfast foods. The nighttime snacks were a bit scant -- but hey, it's free so can't complain on that!

Lastly -- there is a Westin directly across the wide parking lot so if you need to stay in Buckhead and want to be walkable to the mall both will do just fine. JW Marriott though is the only of the two actually connected to the mall whereas the Westin is in the outside of the parking lot.

• Stayed December 2007
1 Thank schrap2755

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Atlanta
Reviewed January 1, 2008

My husband took me here as a suprise for my birthday. It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! The service was great. The pool was the best that I have every seen very secluded and romantic. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton before and this was on the same level as that, but a little less expensive. The parking was a little expensive. Overall, WONDERFUL PROPERTY. I can't wait to go back.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — price of parking
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 23, 2007

Had a quick stay here last week. Very nice overall.

Check in was quick and easy. Was in my room within 10 minutes of walking into the hotel. Very nice room upgrade given. Concierge level room with great views of Midtown/Downtown as well as part of the Buckhead skyline. Room was large with a separate sitting area with couch, chair, and coffee table. Work desk was large and bed was comfortable and provided a great rest. The bathroom was spacious also. Had a separate tub and shower, with marble floors/sink.

As I was only here for a brief time, I did not get a chance to check out the fitness or pool areas. Also did not have any experience with room service or hotel restaurant dining. I did have a couple of drinks in the hotel bar, and the service was friendly and efficient. For being surrounded by a huge mall with a lot of parking, I was a little disappointed that this hotel charged $17/day for parking.

I live in Atlanta so I don't often stay in hotels in the area. If and when I need a Buckhead hotel again, this will be my choice. Prices generally seem more reasonable than some other hotels in the area with similar levels of quality & service.

• Liked — Great Room, Convenient Location
  • Disliked — Parking Charges
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 11, 2007

Stayed at the JW Marriott Buckhead for two nights while attending a convention in Atlanta. Buckhead really isn't that convenient for downtown Atlanta, although the area is safer and prettier. This hotel is convenient for shopping malls and the MARTA train, but that's about all. The hotel is well maintained and the staff are polite. The rooms are quiet and have pleasant views on higher floors. However, next time I will stay closer to Atlanta itself.

• Liked — Well maintained hotel
  • Disliked — Overpriced
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
Nassau, New Providence Island
Reviewed November 2, 2007

This hotel is truly top of the line! We had a problem at check-in (i STILL haven't figured out why the guy couldn't get an authorization on my credit card-which worked fine throughout the rest of my trip). Spent 3 nights there. Loved the easy access to the mall. They even drove us to the nearby Ross in a luxury vehicle. Everytime you entered the lobby there was somebody, somewhere wanting to know if they could assist with anything. Overall my stay was very good. the rooms were nice and clean. tried room service one night...talk about dining in style!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Alabama
Reviewed September 19, 2007

Purchased my room through Priceline for 94.00 per night plus taxes and fees. Hotel website was listing for 199.00 and up.

Was in Atlanta for my ten year high school reunion. When I booked the reservation through Priceline and was advised that I had gotten the JW Marriott I was a little skeptical. I know the area well and had seen the hotel, but never stayed there. I figured that it would be another typical Marriott stay. Thankfully I was wrong!

Check-in was extremely quick and efficient. I walked in and was in my room in less than ten minutes. I checked in at about 9pm EST. Unfortunately I did not stop and get dinner before getting to the hotel, so I ordered room service and got the Marriott Burger. It actually was pretty good. With tip and tax the cost was about 21.00.

Internet was a rip off. It's 12.95 (I didn't mind paying it since most full service hotels still charge you internet access, that's just industry standard) and you get unlimited local and long distance calls with that. That's cool, but who uses the hotel phone instead of your cell phone?! But actually, it did come in a little handy. I have AT&T cell service, had full signal in my room on the 18th floor, and would drop the call after about a minute. So the free calls did come in handy. The internet is EXTREMELY slow. I probably could have dialed up faster, if I had wanted to bother with it. If you can handle going without the internet for a few days in your hotel room, I would totally not even bother with it here.

The room is nice, extremely clean, pretty big. The beds were not all that, in my opinion. The pillows were really thin also. I have stayed at Marriotts in Nashville and Huntsville and they had awesome beds. But, I had no problem sleeping, once I actually got to sleep.

Parking is a joke. I hate paying 24.00 to park my vehicle for the night, but I'm so use to it by now. Valet staff is nice.

I never rate a hotel a 5, but this place was great. People were EXTREMELY friendly. My room could have been dirty and the service would have made up for it. Service can go a long way, and the JW Marriott goes that extra mile.

• Liked — The people, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
Cali, Colombia
Reviewed July 20, 2007

We arrived at the hotel late at night, for which we called more than 5 hours after check-in time and the front desk staff extremely nice told us it was tottally fine.

The lobby is gorgeous, front desk in one side, concierge, and baskets full of fresh complimentary fruit. A member of the hotel staff argued intensely with another guest but the other treated us perfectly. The beds are the best ive ever slept at!!!! the bathroom and all the property were impecably clean.

The only thing in the other hand is that food is extremely expensive!!! Breakfast buffet is $20.00!!! We bought breakfast at a little cafe just beneath the stairs crossing the doors that connect the hotel with the Lenox mall.

Access to the Lenox mall is really convenient and loved going back and forth the mall and hotel without needing to take my car. The hotel has complimentary transportation within a 2 mile radius on luxury cars.

Will definetely stay here again!!!!

• Liked — Luxurious rooms
  • Disliked — Food prices
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family