“Wonderful stay at the JW Buckhead”

JW Marriott Atlanta Buckhead
Ranked #29 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We had an excellent stay at the JW Marriott Buckhead after a not so great experience at the Marriott Buckhead. The hotel is in a high rise building, and connected to Lenox Square. The lobby was very nice, with a bar and coffee shop. The rooms, while a bit on the older side, were very clean and well kept. As a matter of fact there was a notice that the entire hotel would be undergoing renovations beginnning in May 2011 I believe. Even without the renovations the rooms were very nice. The bed was very comfortable and provided a great, quiet night's sleep. Our room had a beautiful view of downtown Atlanta and the Buckhead skyline. Staff was very friendly and helpful from check in to check out.

If you are considering staying here, I would definitely recommend doing so.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing downtown Atlanta.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FloridaGators

Reviewed April 17, 2011

I had an early meeting in Buckhead and on a whim I used the well known 'name your price' travel site and 'won' this hotel at 1/3 the quoted rate on their own website.
I was given the 'name your price' room across from the ice machine and with the view of a roof.. lol.
The hotel is connected to Lenox and across from a Marta station which was convenient for my trip and the people I was meeting.
Check in and check out very fast and... paperless.... When checking out clerk said the only additional charge was self park and did I need a receipt? I said nope and she said thanks and have a good day. Very efficient. ++
I had stayed here before around the Olympics and the hotel does show its age in places.. doors with an obvious 5 coats of paint, dated marble in the bathrooms, and a clunky HVAC that was either on or off so I spent the night... covers on, covers off.
The reason I booked the room was so I could 'sleep in' a little before a meeting.. What was very disturbing was housekeeping entered my room without knocking around 830 and seeing me in bed scurried out.. then... two more times before I left at 1000 ringing the doorbell to see if I was gone.
Frontdesk-good. Room- as expected. HVAC- minus. Housekeeping-fail.
Stay again? Yes if at 1/3 rate using 'name your price' website.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2011

The JW Marriott Buckhead Atlanta GA is an excellent hotel and more! I rate it best for customer service, cleanliness and quality. The circle drive is spotless, the bellstaff are personable, polite, dependable and prompt. Glenn (bellman) and colleagues were extremely helpful and polite. The hotel lobby sparkles with cleanliness which continues throughout the sleeping rooms. We used conference space for our meeting. The Sales Staff had all details in order, The Sales staff was extremely impressive, Sharon Kimbell did an extraordinary job in having details ready, all week she stayed on top of our entire event, The Chef Todd did an extraordinary job with our meals, the food was fresh and displayed in an appetizing way, Todd made sure we had plenty of good quality fresh fruit and healthy choices which our group loved. Annelies the Event Conscierge was available at anytime to help. I was quite taken with the great customer service, cleanliness and excellent quality of this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank islandrtp
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I booked cuz i love JW Mariott hotels- expensive, but worth every penny. Not this one! Its a classy building but it feels unkept and in sore need of being refurbished. No WiFi in any of the rooms. Front reception area drab and consoles are the old CRT monitors from 10 years ago! Even Motel 6 uses flat screens. I had no warm/hot water in my room- cold shower! They did attend to it and offrd me a free bkfst- but i left the followng morn b4 they started serving. Fitness Center is pathetic- in this basement room w cement walls and antiquated machines. Embarassing, really.
To b fair, evry othr JW Mariott property i've stayed has exceeded my expectations. Stunning hotels! So this was a huge shocker and for the life of me do not understand why they keep it under the JW brand patronage. Many much nicer hotels a stone's throw away (Ritz, embassy, W, etc).

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Whenever this JW has rates that fall within my corporate guidelines I will make it my home. For those that are accustomed to staying in the 3 star category (Courtyard, HIlton Garden Inn, Hampton, Holiday Inn, etc) the moment you step foot out of the car or into the hotel the experience is completely different - service, quality, rooms and decor speak luxury.
The rooms are very comfortable with bathrooms that are 'accomplished' - I am a big fan of the walk in shower rather than the typical tub look. In terms of services, the bar/lounge area are appealing and the gift/coffee shop is really convenient if you want to just grab a coffee (starbucks) and go.
On this occassion the staff also demonstrated they are up to the task. I forgot my toothpaste so I went down to the lobby with the intentions of purchasing one but unfortunately they were out at the gift/coffee shot. When I indicated to a staff member that I needed toothpaste there was a knock on my door within 5 minutes - a difference maker.
The property is also in a good location as the mall is attached to it and there are plenty of great restaurants in the area. While it is $20/day parking is also convenient. Overall a consistently good stay each and everyone of the five or so times I have stayed at the JW Buckhead.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2011

This is one outstanding hotel. As a business traveler, I've had an opportunity to stay in many brands and levels of hotels. JW Marriotts are my first choice - and this is no exception. The hotel ambiance is professional (unlike a family-stay hotel, such as Holiday Inn) and business/business casual (not as stuffy as, say, the Ritz-Carlton or Intercontinental).

Buckhead is not downtown Atlanta - but you are directly across the street from the MARTA station, Lenox. Parking is steep, at $20 self / $30 valet, so you may want to go public, if possible. The hotel is attached to a large mall, so there is more than enough shopping/eating/casual time passing on-site. The neighborhood is an upper-class suburban neighborhood with many standard restaurant chains and several steakhouse chains, including Ruth's Chris, Morton's and Capital Grille, all very close by.

The staff are as accomodating as I've ever experienced. Stay for a few nights, and staff may know your name. Rooms are a little outdated, but are clean and leave little to be desired. Wireless internet throughout the hotel is lacking - but wired service is available in-room for $13ish/day (free for Marriott Gold and Platinum members). I agree that charging for in-room internet is outrageous, but it seems to be an industry-wide practice for business traveler hotels.

Concierge lounge is the best I've experienced. Breakfast is available, with varying hot dishes including eggs, omelettes, bacon, sausage, as well as everyday staples including an oatmeal bar, an impressive sliced fruit selection with yogurt and granola, cereal, fresh oj, and more. Dinner hors douevres vary, and are well above average in quality. Dinner also stays out late - until around 730pm, so no need to rush back from work or travel. Dessert comes out a little before 8, and varies, including cookies, cakes, pies, etc. Drinks, including a coffee/cappucino machine are always available.

The gym is reasonable, with a good selection of cardio equipment and an above average assortment of nautilus gear and free weights. Attached to the gym is a small-ish pool, with 2 lap lanes and room for others to casually enjoy, and a jacuzzi. In the men's room (and presumably women's room, as well) is a sauna and spa, as well as showers. Plentiful towels, hand and body, are available for gym and pool users.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank beantownmba
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Arrival:

We arrived at the hotel in the evening and made use of Valet parking. Our valet parking experience from check in to check out was great… fast and friendly service. We didn't have to wait at all. When reserving the room we added some requests using Marriott virtual concierge. We asked for High floor, extra pillows, refrigerator and a fruit bowl (cost extra) to be in the room when we arrived. When filling out the virtual concierge I also asked for any help they might offer in making this a special stay for my wife as she was 25 weeks pregnant at the time and this was going to be our last weekend away for a while. On arrival, none of the requests we made were granted. Although, Robert, at the front counter did congratulate us on our baby.

Confusion:

While the requests were not really critical to our stay it was rather disappointing that they didn't accommodate any of them. The only thing we really wanted was the fruit for the baby. We called down to the concierge on duty and they apologized for not filling the requests and told us it was too late in the evening and that we would have to wait until morning. Fair enough (although odd as they offer 24 hour room service). They asked what time would be good and I explained that 9am would be fine. The next morning it was 10am and still no fruit. We decided to go downstairs and speak with the concierge as we wanted help making reservations for dinner that night. We brought up the virtual concierge requests made including that we had been told we would have fruit in the room over an hour prior. The concierge, Rory, was very helpful and polite. He helped us reserve a nice reservation at a nearby restaurant and also got us the extra pillows and the refrigerator. He apologized for the fruit mix up and told us they would take care of it and that we would not have to pay for it. He meant well. However, upon arriving in the room we had two bowls of (not so fresh) fruit and ended up paying for one of them anyway.

The room/hallway:

We opted to get a larger corner room. While the rooms were a bit dated they did appear clean except for a very overwhelming musty smell (which we reported). The bathroom had a separate shower stall and tub. 20 years ago the marble floors and counters would have been very impressive but wear and tear has shown through over the years. It was still a nice touch though. The bathroom was as clean. We did have issues with the water pressure and consistency. To fill the tub it would have taken over an hour at the rate the water came out. The shower seemed to have better pressure, but it kept changing temperature and we found ourselves constantly adjusting to keep from being burned or from being too cold. The TV was a nice flat screen that had a nice clear picture...although on occasion we did have a little bit of tiling on the screen. There is a safe in the room that was large enough to hold a laptop...which was nice. The hallway outside the room, while clean, had several spots on the ceiling that were in obvious need of repair from water damage. The elevators seemed to all be working and were mostly clean except for one of them that had some gum stuck to the rails that later in the day had been cleaned up. In all the atmosphere of the hotel, while dated, was clean and comfortable. The only complaint I have in this area was the maid waking us up very early in the morning of check-out. I would recommend putting your "do not disturb" sign up if you don't want to be scared out of bed with an unscheduled wake up call. When we got to the door and opened it we had heard her go down each room in the hallway and do the same thing....she was at least 12 doors down in a matter of 60 seconds.

Pool and fitness area:

While we didn't actually use the fitness area, we did take a quick tour and found it to be very nice. It had a wide variety of equipment to choose from. Many of the pieces had personal monitors for watching TV. We did make use of the pool. The pool area was dated and could use some maintenance including some fresh paint and repairs on a broken latter in the deeper end of the pool. The floors were a bit slippery as well, so be careful. The water in the pool was very clean. The temperature was perfect. In all our pool experience was ok. We did not use the hot tub, but it was in working order as we saw others using it.

The Restaurant:

Lenox Grille- with Executive Chef Todd Thompson
I saved this one for last as it was the worst experience we had at this hotel. On our first night at the hotel we were hungry and decided to try out the Lenox Grille. The dining area itself looked nice and with just a little more work had the potential to be very comfortable. The first thing we noticed was how empty it was. There was only one other couple seated when we arrived and one couple that showed up before we left. The first thing we ordered was their Artichoke crab dip appetizer. It arrived to the table in short time. My wife and I both tasted the dip and .....yuck. It tasted of tinny canned artichokes, mixed with mayo and very very fishy crab....served with lovely stale flat bread which was obviously from a box as they had the little perforations where the bread was to be broke into pieces. The waitress stopped to comment on the dip and stated that many people do not care for it and she asked if we wanted to return it to the kitchen which we took her up on. She did not charge us for it. She did bring us out a stale bread basket instead while we waited for our main dishes. My wife ordered the Salad with chicken breast. I ordered the Half Chicken Roasted with Vegetables. Lets start with the Half Chicken.... The roasted chicken arrived and was gray colored rubbery looking. The vegetables did appear to be an attempt at fresh vegetables (not frozen)....but I use the term fresh loosely in this case. The vegetables sat in a deep pool of flavorless chicken stock and the half chicken on top of that. Normally I like my chicken with skin on it, but due to the color and texture it was a real turn off, so I pealed it away to reveal the dry as a bone meat. I guess now I know why it was served in a puddle of chicken stock.... to help keep your mouth from drying out. Next...salad with ranch dressing and a chicken breasts. Can't really mess that up right? Oops! The lettuce was wilted. The dressing had absolutely no flavor. The chicken was served cold and also was dry as a bone. The whole thing looked like it had been prepared hours (days?) earlier and stored in the refrigerator along with the chicken on top. My wife took a couple bites and decided that for the safety of the baby she was done. We decided to cut our losses, pay the very expensive check. Our room package came with free breakfast a the same dining area. We decided to see if breakfast was any better and to our surprise, it actually was better, but still overly priced (if we had to pay). While down there, we mentioned our bad experience in detail to the hostess and she took our room number and told us she would speak with Chef Thompson. The next day at breakfast again, she told us that she had in fact had a long conversation with Chef Thompson and that he would be contacting us regarding it. We never did hear from him.

While, this review does sound a bit critical of many things, it should be noted that we never were really upset/mad with any given situation. This was our last weekend getaway for a while and we were determined to make the best of it regardless of the problems we had. I was simply detailed in my explanations to help better describe what we experienced. In all, the staff at this hotel were all very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself falls short of being top notch and could use some renovations. Due to its location, friendly staff and clean rooms, I would stay here again if I were in town and got a good deal on a room rate

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple