“Great location but dated”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #130 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Arlington, Virginia
“Great location but dated”
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

I stayed five nights as I was in Atlanta for a conference. As a HHonors Gold, I got an upgraded room, free internet, and free buffet breakfast. For what I paid, it was an outstanding value. The internet was fast and the breakfast buffet was full breakfast, going beyond the Continental HHonors requires be provided to Gold and Diamond members. The downside is the hotel is very dated and renovations don't mask the age. Also there was no complimentary water provided in the he rooms.

• Stayed April 2014
Hotel_Mgmt_Team, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to reivew our hotel. As a HHonors member, we value your business and was glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. The property is 50+ years old and currently undergoing renovations in the public spaces. The guest room renovations are planned for later this year. We look forward to your return trip to Atlanta! Thanks, April Mosley
Operations Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 18, 2014

The location is great, the lounge is nice and the rooms are good. The staff are so friendly and so helpful it made for such a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Don't forget the delicious right out of the oven cookies at check in!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing a review of your recent stay and the kind words about the hotel staff. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our great downtown location to enjoy all that the local area has to offer.
We hope to see you again on your next visit to Atlanta.

April Mosley
Operations Manager
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Ok so I read the other reviews before I wrote this and I actually did notice so many things listed in the reviews. Noisy A/C ... Yes... Needs a little reno... yes. Even with all of that, I was saved by this hotel. I booked a room close to the Georgia Dome because my daughter wanted to check out where her Seats for the One Direction concert were going to be. We got there and were HORRIFIED. We cancelled and and we booked this place for the same price as the scary hotel and it was late and the town was crowded and they were one of the only ones in our desired location that had availability at a decent price.They met us with delicious cookies, a view of Skyview Atlanta and walking distance to Centennial Park and EVERYTHING! No mini-fridge but we were too tired and only there for the night. They even were super friendly and helpful at 12 a.m. when we were starving and told us the only local delivery still open. I wasn't crazy about the $30 valet only parking but I was so tired I didn't even want to think about parking anyway. We slept well and the beds were comfy. I would probably stay there again because the price and location were unbeatable and the people were friendly. Thanks Doubletree and I am thinking I am going to buy stock in Hilton because they seem to always have my back.

• Stayed June 2014
We hope to see you again on your next visit to Atlanta.

April Mosley
Operations Manager
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I stayed at this hotel when it was a Marriott Courtyard. I don't believe it has been updated since and the property is really showing its age. We had 2 rooms -- one smelled so much like sulfur on day 2 that we bought febreze and doused the room to keep from changing rooms. Although this is very close to the apparel mart, there are much better places to stay that are just as convenient.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your stay. I do apologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced during your stay. I have passed the information along to our housekeeping team for review. The property is 50+ years old and currently undergoing renovations in the public spaces. The guest room renovations are planned for later this year. Thank you, April Mosley Operations Manager
York, United States
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Had a few issues with condition of the room, network connection and noise. Beds were very comfortable! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Faucet handle was falling apart, toilet ran through the night and there was a used syringe sitting on top of the mirror in the bathroom. The noise was bad. There was a couple

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to see your experience was not a positive one. If you would like to further discuss the details of your stay please feel free to contact me. Thanks Again, April Mosley Operations Manager
Birmingham
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Recently stayed at the Doubletree downtown Atlanta and I was a little underwhelmed after my stay there. First off, I must give credit to the wonderful front desk staff who went above and beyond their job to make sure my experience wasn't a total bust. They greeted us with a smile, gave us these wonderful, hot chocolate chip cookies, and also assisted me with toiletries I needed so that I didn't have leave the hotel. However, I could tell the hotel was older at first glance. The room was just average, carpets were old, and I was a little surprised given this was a Doubletree Hilton property. The room entrance is very tight and the bathroom door extends out very wide making it difficult to get in and out. The bathroom could use double sinks and I was shocked to find several strands of hair in the shower, not good. The a/c is EXTREMELY loud making it difficult to get a good night's sleep. Adding to that, the downtown traffic noise is annoying so make sure you request a room if possible that is not on the very front of the hotel. Valet parking is $30, but good luck finding a park elsewhere downtown. Breakfast is 18.95 for the buffet (ouch). The location of this hotel is very convenient to everything so that was a plus. I would stay here again if I had to but it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pianoeight
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to see that your experience was less than desirable but happy to see that our team was able to assist as much as possible. The property is 50+ years old and currently undergoing renovations in the public spaces. The guest room renovations are planned for later this year. Thank you, April Mosley Operations Manger
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I have been rather satisfied with the Double Tree brand until now. Although the staff is wonderful and the location is pretty good, this place is far beyond its heyday. The lobby is old and extremely unassuming. I had to look twice at the front desk before I recognized it. And, the lobby has a rather distinct smell that was only outdone by the stench of the floor I stayed on. I was really concerned when I noticed a woman with a mask on fumigating rooms! As for the location there may be some attractions nearby but there are no shops or restaurants. In fact the hotel is located right across the street from the ATL Police Department and is borderline seedy. Lastly, I think $30 to park is extreme! I was going to return the following week for a 5-day stay but I cannot do that and changed my plans immediately. Hopefully they will refurbish this hotel that was obviously once a very nice property but not now.

Room Tip: Try the other five hotels within a two-block radius until this property gets a serious facelift!