“Missing the mark with the staff...”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #117 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed May 15, 2014

There were several things that went wrong with my stay at the DoubleTree in downtown Atlanta, GA. First, they overbooked the hotel, so when my coworker checked in at 11:00 pm, there was no room for him. The front desk gave him a voucher to stay at another hotel, gave him a map, and basically said good luck. They should have provided transportation for him or at the very least called him a taxi. The hotel they sent him to was a complete dump. It was rundown, disgusting, and dirty. He planned to just shower the next day when he got back to the DoubleTree only to find that there was no hot water in his room. Neither of my two coworkers were offered cookies upon their check in, something the DoubleTree highly advertises all over, even on the room keys! My room was lacking a lot of items housekeeping should keep stocked on a daily basis. I didn't have enough towels, I didn't have a bath mat at all, and I didn't have any creamers for my coffee. I stayed for 2 nights. When I came back to my room the day after my first night there, I found that housekeeping had not touched my room at all. It was already 4:00 pm. Never once did I put the do not disturb sign on my door, so there was no reason they should have skipped over my room. I called the front desk, told them no one came and declined full room service at that point. I just wanted to relax! I just asked for fresh towels and creamers. The woman who came to my door was not very pleasant. She started banging around the bathroom and cleaning it! I didn't want that at all. I had to stop her when she tried to make the bed. I JUST wanted towels and creamers. My first night, I was woken up at 4:00 am by some other guest who decided to drink too much. My room was near the elevator so I could not escape the commotion of people yelling, several policemen coming in and out, as well as the paramedics and stretcher that removed the girl. My NY office sent a package to the hotel for me. When I checked in, I asked about it and the girl said she had to check with shipping and receiving and then she'd call my room and have the package delivered to me. After 2 hours I came down to go out to dinner and asked about it again. The girl's only response to me was, "OH RIGHT! well, they never got back to me." UMMMMM and?? Got back to you about what? She said she never heard back on if they had it or not. I stood there shocked and didn't know what to say. Am I to tell this girl how to do her job? She turned to another woman behind the desk and asked what she should do. That woman told her to go there herself and ask for it in person. THANK YOU! She came back with my package and I asked her to keep it at the front desk and that I would pick it up when I came back from dinner. She said no no don't worry I'll have it brought up to your room. I saw her flag down the bellhop and asked him to take it to my room. I came back that night, no package in my room. I went back downstairs and there it was behind the front desk. MAKE UP YOUR MINDS PEOPLE! I also asked for a bottle of water and told them to charge it to my room. The woman said that water was complimentary (I am a Hilton Honors member). The day I checked out, a different man was behind the desk who I hadn't seen before. I gave in my room key and asked for a water. He sternly and RUDELY said, "We don't have any. You can buy one over there." and pointed to the hotel restaurant. SERIOUSLY!? This place is severely inconsistent.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Hotel_Mgmt_Team, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We apologize that it didn't meet your expectations. I have forwarded your response to our respective teams to review with thier team to see where we failed to exceed. If you would like to discuss with me futher, you may reach me at the hotel.

Operations Manager

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I was so disappointed with our stay and would NEVER visit this property again.

Staff: The staff were the highlight of the stay. Very nice people work at the front desk and I had a great feeling when we were greeted warmly and giving an HHonors upgrade. Unfortunately, it was all downhill from here.

Room: We were given an upgrade (I love when this happens) however, when we got to the room we found only one bed and a pull out couch (we reserved a room with two beds and for four people). This is not an upgrade if it in my opinion but rather than start the trip with a complaint we made due. When we used the pull out couch we found no bedding anywhere in the room so we had to call down and ask them to bring this stuff up. It took over an hour and after a long travel day the last thing my kids wanted to do was stay up waiting for the proper bedding. The room was dirty in the bathroom and main room, the little refridgerator looked like it had been in a car accident with dents and deep gouges taken out of it, the TV had low signal reception so everything we watched paused and flickered.

Housekeeping: Never came. We got up early and went to the Aquarium and then a baseball game. When we returned at about 10p the maids were still cleaning on our floor but had not been to out room yet. This is crazy that we left all day and the housekeepers were that understaffed.

Elevator: We were trapped in the elevator and had to go back up to our floor to get it to open back up. When we alerted the front desk they told me that its acting up. HOW ABOUT YOU FIX IT!!!

Please find a better property. Right by the Aquarium is a brand new Hampton Inn that we wished we would have used.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ncsoo7

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I am sorry your experience was not up to expectations, but glad to hear the staff was accommodating. The property is 50+ years old and currently undergoing our last phase of renovations in the public spaces. The guest room renovations are planned for later this year. I have personally sent your comments to team leaders to see what we could have done differently.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Overall it was a great experience as the people were extremely helpful and pleasant. I found that the food was also very good. I did however note that there were matters such as unresolved issues with the booking which made the stay less than pleasant, the room did not appear to have been dusted in some areas - headboard and table. I would suggest that the upkeep of the room be improved for guests, as there may be instances whereby a guest may have sinus issues which may result in an unpleasant stay. Also, there was a disconnect between guest services and accounting which should be tightened.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing a review of your recent stay and the kind words about the hotel staff. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our great downtown location to enjoy all that the local area has to offer.

I have passed your comments along to our management team to look into the issues you experienced during your stay.

Operations Manager

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Simple summary of my experience: complete lack of customer care from the staff and hotel management.

Here's a list of all issues I ran into:
(1) chewing gum stuck on the floor carpet near my beds that never got cleaned out!
(2) TV remote control wasn't working
(3) The room phone was dead on my first day, had to call the staff to make it work
(3) NO HOT Water for my entire stay!! The hotel had some water trouble. I complained daily and was told repeatedly that it's being fixed, but it never got fixed. The staff was attentive to my complaints on the first day, but the manager on the second day had this attitude "technically the water is not cold, it's warm" instead of admitting to the problem and trying to see how they could make the customer happy.

Bottom line: If you charge as hight as $160 per night, I expected much better facilities and customer service. I will never stay here or at any other double tree again.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, when you check in, ensure that all facilities are working as promised...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to see that your experience was less than desirable. We did have a boiler issue that we called a company out to resolve and worked for about 1/2 a day. Then went back out. We worked as quickly as possible to get the issue resolved unfortunately it was a repetitive issue that required an outside company to have to retrieve a part for. There has been no further issues since then, but it did effect a few of our guests. I will personally look into your response about the lack of empathy on our part at the desk. I have also passed your comments along to our Chief Engineer and Director of housekeeping about the other issues during you stay.
April Aleshire-Mosely

Reviewed May 14, 2014

We really appreciated the friendly staff & all the assistance they provided. The property was clean & fresh as well. The location was very convenient as we went to Turner Field for a Braves game. The breakfast bar was very complete with something available for most anyone - service staff was awesome!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so much for your feedback on your recent stay with us. It was such a pleasure to have you and your family here. We look forward to your next visit to Atlanta!!
I hope that your next visit to Atlanta is a great one!

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Was greeted by a very friendly front desk who were very informative. The stay was just for overnight, got in late, so I didn't see much of the hotel. Very helpful Valet parking. Good thing we had a GPS, because the hotel was not in an easy to find location.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Atlanta.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

I stayed at the doubletree downtown Atlanta last night. Am in hilton honors member, so I stay at hilton property when I can.
I was booked for 2 nights but I ended up leaving after one night. On the surface, the hotel looks renovated, clean and quiet.

I arrived late last night, and I was first surprised not to have the upgrade I requested mentioned at check in. It was late and not important, so I did not mention it.

The room was updated recently but not upgraded. A little bit on the small side, but ok. The hotel recently changed to doubletree so the furniture was relatively recent. Could have used a fresh coat of paint.

The tv was working but not the pay per view, which I did not mind. The wifi, though did not work and that was a problem since I was traveling on business. It was late so I decided to mention it in the morning.

In the morning, the shower could not produce water warmer than lukewarm, at this stage, I decided to leave, that's three strikes in a few hours.

Upon check out, I wasn't asked why I was checking out early or if I enjoyed my stay. I guess the staff must know better and they must get early check out quite often.
I am never staying at this hotel again, and you shouldn't either. There are plenty of equivalent and better choices by walking distance.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank wap13

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to see that your experience was less than desirable. The property is 50+ years old and currently undergoing renovations in the public spaces. The guest room renovations are planned for later this year. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.