“Great Location, Terrible Room”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #133 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Location, Terrible Room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

I'll preface this review by stating the location is great, the staff was very good and the common areas were pleasant enough, but the room was terrible. Outdated, grimy arms on the chair, no Ottoman or side table (as pictured), room was cramped, couldn't use desk without blocking access across the room. Bathroom lighting was bad (My wife said akin to getting ready in a closet). And this was a King Balcony room….an upgrade. I am a tried and true Hilton member (multi-year Diamond) and was extremely disappointed in this room.
You don't travel to stay in the room, but this room felt more like a dirty hospital room than a high end hotel room…and that did impact our entire experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your recent stay. I am sorry to see that the room you stayed in did not meet your expectations. The hotel is currently undergoing renovations in the public areas as well as some additional projects in the guest rooms which will be completed in early 2014.

I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future to experience the hotel once the renovations are complete.

Mark Gallagher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
nashville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We spend the night at this wonderful hotel l thought l had already done my review of this hotel all the bell valet and front staff were especially wonderful and friendly and helpful all the staff were nice and friendly but the front young lady checked us in and l wish l remembered her name was very nice and helpful our room was nice and comfortable and we enjoyed our breakfast we came in and out with valet and bell service who were very helpful and pleasant we truly enjoyed our visit

• Stayed August 2013
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and very proud of the staff that left a lasting impression on you.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Atlanta!

Atlanta, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Parking attendance was rude and callous. Some of the Front desk were blind to matters. This location should train its staff how to properly interact with guest, whether the guest are approachable or not. The associates were stepping over boundaries they should most certainly have not. Each guest should be treated as a separate situation. As well as respected if the Double Tree values their business.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay. Please feel free to contact me directly so I can get specific details on the situations you mentioned in your review. Your information will allow us to correct the errors and ensure they do not happen to another guest.

678-686-3344
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

To start the staff took over 15 minutoes to check me in because they were busy printing concert tickets for a friend whom was not even a guest at the hotel. Then I was met with an attitude. The bathroom sink and tub were clogged and I reported various times and they did nothing about, I have spent in hiltons all over the US and World but this was by far the worst!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing feedback of your recent stay. Please feel free to contact me so we can further discuss your experience.

678-686-3344
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

A good, solid hotel i downtown Atlanta, but not anything to get excited about. The decor is rather dated and this does detract from the experience. The hotel is definitely due an upgrade, but till then there is no need to stay away as this is still a well situated and comfortable hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback of our hotel. The building is 50+ years old but we are currently undergoing renovations. The fitness center was completed a couple of weeks ago and the restaurant/bar is nearly half way finished. The lobby renovations will begin in early January.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Atlanta.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

Be forewarned the area is rife with homeless and does not look safe at night. The entire downtown area is a tourist trap for parking. Find a hotel in another area for less money and save yourself $30 a day for parking.

When I called the hotel upon arrival to Atlanta the operator at the hotel did not speak clearly and I ended up googling directions myself. Upon arrival the desk clerk was nice enough and even told me there was complimentary wi-fi. The fine print says you get one hour of limited speed wifi and after that $10 a day!!! So add $40 if you want internet and parking. After being in the room and turning on the heart I realized the room had no heat. The maintenance worker arrived over an hour after I called and explained he was off proper when I called.

My first day I did not receive any service. When I told the front desk they offered to send up some coffee packets. My sheets were never changed during my fine night stay. The paint was peeling off the walls in the restroom and the room smelled musty. The fitness center looked updated but many of the machines did not function.

The morning of my departure the housekeeper, Adel, woke me at 8:30 AM asking if I was checking out. I informed her I would be out at 11:00 AM. She again returned at 10:40 AM.

Overall the property I found the property really dated, the amenities way overpriced and a culture of sub par service.

Room Tip: There is free parking about five blocks north of the property.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for sharing the review of your recent stay. I am sorry to see that your expectations were not met. We recently completed the renovation of the fitness center including the addition of new equipment. We will look into this further to ensure all equipment is in proper working order. I will also ensure both the Housekeeping and Engineering departments use your feedback as an opportunity for continued training.

We do offer several internet options, both wired and wireless, that may not have been thoroughly explained to you. I will bring this to the attention of all staff members so in the future this information can be conveyed properly.

Dallas, Zimbabwe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

If you want to experience the worst staff attitude, smelly rooms, this hotel is a good case study!I checked out of the hotel after 2 hours! I would highly recommend exercising your options and choosing another hotel. dont say i didnt warn you!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

MarkGallagher37, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am disappointed to see you had a poor experience and felt the need to leave after such a short period of time. Please feel free to contact me to review the details of what you encountered.

Melissa Harris