“Okay hotel, but expensive parking...better choices in this area”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #133 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Birmingham, Alabama
“Okay hotel, but expensive parking...better choices in this area”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Pros: Nice lobby; fairly quiet; nicely appointed rooms; convenient (but hard-to-get-to) location

Cons: Very hard to get to the hotel entrance due to it being on a one-way street and construction around the hotel; $30 mandatory parking fee (no self-parking so, if you have a vehicle, the valet parking is mandatory. This makes the parking fee inescapable if driving a vehicle.); thread-bare towels in the bathroom...this is not expected at a Hilton property, especially at this level.

The hotel was originally built in 1962 and was just converted to Doubletree from Marriott earlier in the year. The furnishings look new, but there are interesting upgrade consequences, such as cutouts in the wall behind one of the night stands. There was a power strip inside the cutout being utilized by several products. I failed to get a picture of it, but I have never seen this before.

The warm chocolate-chip cookie presented upon check-in is a good gesture, but checking in close to midnight does not bode well for the freshness of the cookie. It was warm, but hard as a rock. Plus, there were two of us and one cookie. Surely the hotel could spare one cookie per person (although they need to be fresh).

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone needing to stay in this particular area. There is a Hampton Inn a few blocks away. If you want to venture away from Hilton properties, there is a Westin across the street.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay. I am disappointed to hear you were not satisfied with your overall experience. The surrounding streets are currently under construction as the city of Atlanta prepares to open an electric streetcar route within the next few months. As for the hotel there are several renovation plans underway to include the fitness center, lobby, restaurant and guest room corridors.

Please fell free to contact me directly so we can address the specific issues you encountered during your stay.

mark.gallagher@interstatehotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Chelmsford, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip, as this was on our corporate approved list and near the Peachtree Marta stop (a block away) making it easy to visit my client. The hotel is in a nice area, restaurants nearby, it felt safe for a single woman walking from the Marta after dark.

The staff was great -- friendly, attentive, never had to wait more than a few seconds to be helped with anything, and they volunteered to help with any little thing -- lifting luggage over the curb, directions to the relocated exercise room, directions to a restaurant.

Room was clean, comfortable, and quiet, even when the hotel filled up with arriving conventioneers. Wireless worked flawlessly.

My only quibbles were with the TV and phone. The second day the phone started blinking, indicating a message. The message button on the phone did not connect me with the message system, and there was no button on my phone to contact the front desk. Since I was getting in late each night, I covered it up and ignored it. Most likely it was a welcome message from hotel management -- anyone else had my cell number.

The HD TV in my room was lovely, but wouldn't receive channels 3-11. It said "no signal". Since I was spending just enough time in my room to sleep and bathe, this was just a minor annoyance. Also, there was nothing indicating the stations offered, so I had to flip through them all (which was terribly slow!) to find a channel not covering football, basketball, or hockey.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay. I am glad to see that you had an overall positive experience despite the inconveniences with the tv and phone. Our Engineering team with work with the vendors to ensure these services are corrected.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again on your next stay in downtown Atlanta.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Hotel was very clean, location excellent. Front door staff very helpful and always very cheerful. The hotel charges for in the room internet which we thought was a little cheap. We ate in the lounge and the food was served hot and staff was helpful there also. I would recommend this hotel to others but advise them to be aware of the extra cost for in room internet, Atlanta is a very beautiful city and I would recommend it to all who where looking for an interesting city to visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for the kind words regarding the staff and service during your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Atlanta Downtown. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and were able to experience even a little of what Atlanta has to offer. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Your first impression is your last and I must say from the personnel who works outside the building doing the valet parking to the receptionist to the kitchen staff to the cleaning staff, lol, I think you get my point. Good Job staff at 160 Spring Street! You have a customer for life!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for such great remarks about the staff at the Doubletree by Hilton Atlanta Downtown Hotel. I was pleased to read that we made such a positive impact on your stay. I am very proud of the team here and the wonderful service they provide. I will make sure to pass on the comments. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Atlanta.

Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

This hotel has a good location and it was quiet.
It did not meet my expectations for a Doubletree
hotel. Chief complaints: the heating system smelled
like smoke and I had only a cool shower with no hot
water for the shower. Hotel was sold out so was unable
to move; front desk was poorly trained in solving issues.
Breakfast was better than expected. Hilton Honors members,
this should be your last choice downtown

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write regarding your recent stay. I was very disappointed to read that we failed to meet your expectations and I was concerned with the issues you raised regarding the lack of hot water in your room, and the problems you encountered with the heat. I will also be sharing your feedback with my Front Office Team, and using it a training tool to meet and exceed guest expectations when confronted with a guests concern. Please accept my most sincere apologies and my assurance that I will be following up personally.

Your complete satisfaction is very important to me, so please feel free to contact me directly, my information is below.

mark.gallagher@hilton.com
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

My weekend stay at the Double Tree was decent at best. It is my opinion that they are in dire need of a remodel. The staff however are excellent, they were very accommodating and they made themselves very available

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you very much for the feedback. It was great to read such great feedback about the staff. I will pass on the comments regarding their hard work and fantastic service. We are currently conducting a public space renovation starting in October with our lobby, lounge, fitness center, guest room corridors carpets, and elevators all being addressed, with more to follow in 2014. New perspectives about our hotel and our overall appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. Please feel free to share any additional comments or suggestions with me directly. Thank you again, and we hope you’ll stay with us again the next time you’re in Atlanta.

Clinton, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Great Location, close to everything in downtown Atlanta. Philips Arena, Coke, CNN, The Underground, Georgia Dome. Nice Restaurants and Bars in the area. Valet Parking at reasonable rates($30.00/night). Walking distance to venues, No cabs required.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Christopher F
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Atlanta Downtown Hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our location and its close proximity to all the downtown restaurants and attractions. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Atlanta.