“Not a good experience...Bathrooms horrible.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #120 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Staff was great. The rooms were not great. The bathroom was shabby...mold on the shower walls (I wouldn't have seen it, it blends in with the tile/marble) , the tub wasn't draining so when you took a shower you stood in a puddle of nasty water, the sink wasn't draining properly, the wood needed to be re-stained. The air conditioner wasn't working either so we called someone to fix our problems. The maintenance guy came right away.The solution was a bottle of Draino which fixed the sink, but not the tub and the maintenance guy had to open the ceiling up in our closet to reset a switch for air conditioner. Room service came while we were gone and left towels, but not hand towels or wash clothes so I had to wash with a big towel because I didn't realize it until I had gotten into the shower. I spent all week and took my time trying to get the right place to stay and I went way wrong with the Marriot. I will never stay at another Marriott hotel. The location was great, staff was ok, the dinner that we ordered was excellent, but the room was a disappointment and that's where you are supposed to feel most comfortable. The cleanliness of the bathroom was so bad, you can only imagine how nasty the rest of the room was. We just couldn't get comfortable because the air wasn't working properly and we took a shower in a tub that wouldn't drain. I was so happy to get home and wash off all the germs! The valet drivers were extremely helpful and courteous. The front desk were friendly, but you could tell that they were having to make themselves act friendly ( they greeted you with a fake, weird smile), but they were also very busy. I couldn't believe that they consider themselves four star. Never again....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Thank you for writing a review about your stay, and I’m glad to hear you found our staff hospitable and welcoming. As for the issues you experienced in your room this isn’t the typical stay and I’d like to make amends. If you would like to give the hotel a call, I would certainly take the time to discuss this further.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed here during our national sales meeting. No complaints about the staff; they were professional, efficient and friendly. The food served during our meetings was excellent. Probably the best large business meeting food I have experienced. This is an older property and the rooms while comfortable and clean need to be updated; especially the bathrooms. The lobby is the sore thumb of this property. Definetly not a destination space nor was the bar. We actually went across the street to the Westin (Megans Pub) to relax and unwind. Of course staying at the Westin would have been twice the cost of my King room at the Marriott

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your group experience at our hotel. Our sales team works very hard to ensure everything goes smoothly, in conjunction with our Food & Beverage department to provide quality food; they will be delighted to hear your response. You commented about the bar area, and it will be undergoing renovations this year so you will have to come back to check it out. With this we are converting to Doubletree by Hilton on April 1st. Look forward to seeing you again, let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed February 12-16, the room was average but super clean. The beds were extremely comfortable. The hotel staff outstanding especially our bell boy Sabastian who was so helpful and went out of his way to help us with places to visit and eat and where to avoid. I would recommend staying at this hotel

• Stayed: February 2013
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

It's great to hear our guest enjoy our property but to hear about one of our staff members, and how they delivered outstanding service is truly something special. I will personally make sure he is recognized for his service while passing on your appreciation. We hope you choose to return to Atlanta, so we can welcome you with the hospitality you are accustom to!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

u simply dont get what u pay for....decor is not up to expectations...bathroom accessories are very old and scratched! torn banket with a cotton spread everywhere on the bed...bathroom not as clean as should be...the bath tub was disgusting i couldnt think of a shower...28 dollars for car parking is so silly ...no free internet and no free breakfast and the refregerator is upon request y??to be honest, the only good thing is the shampoo and cream in the bathroom which is from bath and body works thats the only good thing i found but i couldnt use them as i said!....i was better satisfied at a 2 star hotel than this marriott!! i have visited many mariotts overseas but never seen a marriott like this...i dont advise u to stay there, ever...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nisreen J

Thank you for writing a response in regards to your experience at our hotel. I assure you this isn’t the typical stay we hear about from our guest. We want to make sure everyone enjoys our hotel and leaves satisfied. Our parking rates are set competitively with the surrounding are, as we provide valet parking securely in our garage with in and out privileges. If you would like to contact me to discuss your stay further, please don’t hesitate to do so. 404-688-8600.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My stay was brief but comfortable. The staff was super friendly and quite accommodating (thank you, Sinatra for your restaurant recommendations!). Due to a blizzard my flight was cancelled and I needed to stay an extra night. The staff was able to add the extra day to my reservation easily and I was able to stay in the same room. The hotel location is surrounded by stores and wonderful restaurants and most within walking distance. The hotel does need some minor upkeep including a sink that did not drain in my room and a molding panels missing from the room’s coffee counter. Although minor they were noticeable.

Room Tip: The rooms are quite cozy so if you're planning on traveling with more than 2 people check out mo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

We are pleased to hear Sinatra was so helpful during your stay, and he will be recognized for his outstanding service. As for your comments about your room, we have been informing guest that renovations are heading our way this year. The property will be getting an update to the guest rooms, hallway corridors as well as the lobby. This is something we are very excited about and hope you choose to return to see the changes.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

A bit "long in the tooth", but like Avis--- they try harder. Friendly staff. Room was small, but clean. Nice gym, even though the machines haven't been serviced in quite some time. Liquid lounge was very good with great service and knowledgable bartenders. Concierge floor was very nice too. Quite and efficient. Conveniently located in downtown area with an easy walk to restaurants, lounges, and recreational sites. Not quite the magnitude and depth of the Hyatt, Ritz Carlton or Marquis, but still nice.

Room Tip: Great location.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

With the understanding of how important is it to keep up with your routine, we have stalked our gym to complete a number of workouts and we would like the equipment functioning at all times so we will be following up. Your positive comment about our location and staff is greatly appreciated. We hope you choose to return to see the renovations taking place this year.

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 7, 2013

This hotel - by far - provided the best customer service I have ever encountered. I was ALWAYS greeted by a cheerful "Hello!" when I went in or out of the hotel, the front desk person was always polite when I called down for anything, and the bartenders were fantastic. When I checked out, I have not only one - but two - personnel ask if they can assist me. Just wonderful customer service.

In fact, the first day I was there, I got some food at Liquid, their restaurant/bar, and knew I wasn't going to be able to finish it. Not only did the waiter go out of his way to box up my food for me, he even requested that a fridge be brought up to my room in order to store my food. Outstanding. (To Marriott management - Unfortunately, I didn't get his name, but he was behind the bar on Sunday, February 3rd).

The only downside is the location. It's not Marriott's fault, but I did not feel safe walking around that area at night. We would be approached by homeless people all the time and the streets were just literally crawling with "undesirables." Which is really too bad because there were tons of restaurants and attractions nearby.

Overall, though, I would absolutely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: As with most hotels, try to get a room as far away from the elevators as possible. I would be able...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Chelsey H

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are glad to hear feedback and know your stay was enjoyable. The level of customer service offered at our hotel has constantly been the forefront of our comments while complimenting our great location in the heart of downtown. With the details you provided about the staff you who helped you we will make sure he is recognized. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Atlanta.