“Great Service, amenities, and location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #128 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Service, amenities, and location”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in late October. Check in was quick and easy and the bell desk brought the bags up to the room quickly.

The room was large, modern and clean. The bathrooms were clean and spacious

Easy access to many places in downtown Atlanta.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are glad to hear feedback and know your stay was enjoyable. The level of customer service offered at our hotel has constantly been the forefront of our hotels comments while complimenting our great location in the heart of downtown. If you missed any of the sites while you were in Atlanta we would love to have you back anytime.

Mark Gallagher, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My travels are usually to the hinterlands and this is my first stay at a downtown hotel in a major city. I stayed here for a week [Sun-Sat] on business. I got off to a rocky start due to all the Dallas fans at the hotel and the noise they created in the corridors. The hotel is noisy. It is located across the street from APD HQ, so you'll hear a lot of sirens. I also returned to my room Monday night around 11.00 pm and found it had not been made up. I complained at the desk the next morning and the desk person comped me for the whole week with free high-speed internet [$13.00/day] for the rest of my stay. The manager also stopped me in the lobby later in the day to ask about my experience. I told him about my room not being made up and how the receptionist had made it right. I also saw him later asking other guests how their stay was going. That's worth a couple of stars. Also, the staff I met were all very helpful and friendly. My room did not have a microwave or refrigerator, which would have been nice for the length of time I was there. The MAD is conveniently located in downtown and a lot of restaurants and clubs are in walking distance. The Peachtree MARTA station is only a block away, so if you're planning to see the sites downtown you don't need a car. Parking is $28.00/day. I recommend this hotel if you're staying in downtown Atlanta. Like most of the hotels in the area, it looks like it was converted from an older hotel or some other use.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
We are pleased to hear our staff were so attentive to the noise level, being downtown with a busy weekend full of events the area is full certainly full of excitement. Taking in consideration for all of our guest we like to make sure everyone enjoys their stay no matter the occasion. Thank you for your feedback, and if you find yourself back in Atlanta, we hope to be your hotel of choice.

roslyn, new york
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel is conveniently located in downtown Atlanta, within walking distance to many sights and the convention center, sports complexes and restaurants. The hotel bellmen and valets were very helpful and friendly. They were available for good suggestions, giving directions and always a friendly smile and greeting. The hotel could use some touchups, but it was a nice and clean room. Check in and check out was easy and it was a very good stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay here at the Atlanta Marriott Downtown. I am pleased to hear our staff was welcoming and tentative in helping you navigate the city. We pride ourselves for the great customer service our hotel has to offer and we hope you will choose to return to our location.

Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed here for two nights and came away with mixed feelings.

I have always associated the Marriott brand with upscale decor, clean roomy interiors, high comfort and great service. I pay the premium to get all of these but I have to say that this hotel fell short on a few attributes.

The hotel is a bit worn out and could do with some updates to upholstery and carpeting. My room was average, nothing special, although I will say that it was clean and my bed was very comfortable. I wish they had bottled water in the room (really, what does it take to offer complimentary water when I'm paying 200+ bucks a night)?

The bathroom is tiny and badly designed. I could reach into the shower with one hand and the sink with the other hand while sitting on the throne (not that I would want to do this but I wanted to convey the scale!). Very little space near the sink to set my personals, my shower faucet nearly fell out ... all of this is not to whine about stuff but I expect more from an "elite" Marriott room in a major city.

The TV had a broad range of channels but NBC and Fox weren't working in my room but they had NFL Network for football fans. The wireless internet was free and fast - loved it!

The best part of my experience was the restaurant and bar downstairs. The food was delicious, the ambiance was nice and the service was exemplary. I would like to especially call out Teynesha G. and Donna, for their great service. I came in late for breakfast and they were very friendly and flexible. Teynesha remembered me from the previous day - the little things go a long way sometimes. This is why I'm making this a 4 starbu property and not three stars.

The front desk is a bit clueless (I asked about conference hall locations and they did not know) and slow, but again they are nice folks so I'll just recommend they step it up a bit.

The gym was basic and nothing to shout home about. I loved the view from my room - I could see the CNN building from the window. Nice location!

Bottom line: Great staff, particularly at the restaurant, but little improvements (like bottled water in the room) and better maintenance could make this "good" hotel a "great" hotel.

1 Thank Frantix
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We truly have been blessed with great staff here at the Atlanta Marriott Downtown, and I’ll make sure both in which you recognized are commended for their service. It’s reviews like yours that help us continue to make improvements in and around our hotel, so thank you for the feedback. When you return to Atlanta, I hope you choose to stay with us again. Have a great Thanksgiving!

NY
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed overnight here for a business trip. Room was clean and comfortable. Staff was nice. Front desk could have been a little more friendly. Be forewarned that if you drive in with a rental car that the parking is steep. My one night stay cost $28 dollars without tip. If you want a good meal and enjoy jazz, walk a block or so and eat at The Juke Joint. The restaurant gets crowded but if you ask to sit at the bar you can get seated right away. Try the grilled shrimp over parmesan grits. Heard the crab cakes are good too.

1 Thank flr9003
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thanks for the great comments regarding your recent stay at the Atlanta Marriott Downtown. We really appreciate all the wonderful high ratings, and are glad you enjoyed your stay, and had a positive experience. We hope to have the pleasure of your company again during your next trip to Atlanta.

Best Regards,

San Jose, California
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was in town for the NAEYC conference and decided to travel by walking and using MARTA. By the way, I strongly encourage anyone staying downtown to use MARTA!! Not only is it located in the airport and goes to most downtown locations, but its also really cheap ($2.50 one way), reliable (comes every 20 or so minutes), very safe, and just a few blocks from the hotel. You also might help save an arm and a leg from those hefty overnight parking fees each night from most downtown hotels anyway.
My stay at Marriott Downtown was everything I had expected it to be...with the help from trip advisor ;) I was greeted at the front door by the bellmen and the rest of the hotel staff were extremely helpful, friendly, and courteous. My room was cozy and the bed was truly comfortable. The rooms are equipped with nice bath products (Bath and Body works). Every place I had wanted and planned to visit (GWCC, Aquarium, CNN, Centennial Park and World of Coca Cola) were all just a short walk away. There is also a nice souvenir shop just outside the hotel for all your last minute gift shopping needs ;) Pitty Patty's restaurant is just across the street and I recommend the peach cobbler dessert. It was safe walking around at night and so many great views of the city! I also enjoyed using the hotel's fitness center (guilty after eating the yummy peach cobbler), the facility was well maintained and equipped with a variety of fitness machines. All in all, it was a great and comfortable stay! Wish it was a longer trip! I was so pleased with my stay I later went back to the front counter to let them know how pleased I was and handed the hotel staff a "TripAdvisor Recommended" sticker decal! Well deserved Marriott!

Room Tip: The elevators require a swap of your hotel key card each time to get to and from your room. So remem...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Your comments about our hotel amenities and staff are more than appreciated. Our location and our amazing staff only compliment each other, as we are located in the heart of downtown. With the understanding of how important is it to keep up with your routine, we have stalked our gym to complete a number of workouts. Thank you for your comments, we hope when you find yourself in Atlanta we you choose to stay with us again.

Chattanooga, TN
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Moved here to be closer to a concert venue. While property is okay, what a wonderful team of professionals every step of the way. They take an ordinary stay and make it special. I mean everyone. So if convenience and extraordinarly nice hotel staff put a lift in your day, stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thanks for the great feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Marriott Atlanta Downtown, it is greatly appreciated. We are very fortunate indeed to have an outstanding group of associates that are focused on guest service. I am glad you experienced this first hand.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Best Regards,