“Nice room...but tiny and loud”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #133 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
ok
“Nice room...but tiny and loud”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Spent one night at the hotel. It is in the heart of downtown Atlanta.

The room was quite nice and had all the amenities one could ask for. Coffee pot, safe, nice TV, great work area. Awesome beds!! However, this room was small, very small. The bathroom, while very nice, was tiny. For instance, if you open the closet door, you could not get to the front door. I think I have stayed in tents larger than this room.

Our room was on the third floor. We heard every car horn, siren, trash truck, people yelling from the street all night. You may want to stay on a higher floor.

The hotel is within walking distance of many restaurants and bars. The bar in the lobby is awesome.

For a one or two night stay, this is a great place. Anything longer than that, you may want to upgrade to a suite.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write regarding your recent experience. I sincerely appreciate the positive feedback regarding our wonderful lobby bar, our comfortable beds and our great location in close proximity to many of the downtown restaurants & attractions. I am sorry that you felt the rooms where small, and that you encountered noise associated with a downtown environment. On your next visit to Atlanta, please contact me personally so I can arrange and block a room type more suitable for you, so can enjoy your entire stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Mark Gallagher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
brunswick, GA, usa
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is the fourth time i stay at this location and everytime it gets better. the staff is very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. very clean and large suites. I had a problem with the tv and the staff went out of their way to fix the problem. it was a great experience

Room Tip: the rooms in the higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Thank you very much for your loyalty to the Atlanta Marriott Downtown and for taking the time to write this great review. I appreciate you recognizing our amazing staff. I will ensure I share your comments with my team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Charles Town, West Virginia
Reviewed October 7, 2012

An older hotel with nice rooms and great friendly service. I did not swim but the outdoor pool looked really nice. The fitness room was great and so was the concierge breakfast and happy hour. The location was convenient. I was not happy about the parking being so expensive. I ended up playing parking lot shuffle with other less expensive lots. I was uncomfortable with the older elevator in the hotel. The coffee in the lobby was excellent and there was no free internet. Overall I had a very good experience. The deal I got on priceline made it very worthwile.

Room Tip: lower floor rooms to avoid the creaky elevator
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thanks for writing regarding your recent stay at the Atlanta Marriott Downtown Hotel; your feedback is greatly appreciated. I was happy to read that your experience was positive and that you enjoyed our staff, fitness center, club lounge and our location. Although we do charge for internet in our guest rooms, it is free in our public areas, just like the coffee station you mentioned.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

kpgadawg
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We recently spent the night after getting this hotel for quite a deal on Priceline. We were hitting up the zoo and aquarium with our 2 year old, so the location was ideal. It was easy walking distance from the aquarium as well as dining around CNN center. The area felt relatively safe and there were always a large number of people around.

What really set this hotel apart from others that we've visited in Atlanta was the staff. From the moment we arrived, our experience was managed in a stellar way. I was called by name throughout my stay by any staff member that I happened to come in contact with. When I was waiting in line to check in, I had a member of the management team come up to me and make sure that everything was going well. All the staff was courteous and extremely efficient.

The room was not large, but was very comfortable. The beds were a highlight, while the bathroom was the only issue with the stay. Nothing worse than a shower in two inches of standing water. I didn't notice the hotel being loud, as has been mentioned in other reviews.

If you can get a good price, this is a great place to spend the night for the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. The view from down low is rather boring.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kpgadawg
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thanks for the wonderful review of your recent stay at the Atlanta Marriott Downtown Hotel. We appreciated your high ratings in value, location, sleep quality & service. Outstanding service is a key area in a great hotel stay, and it is very gratifying to read your comments, as service represents an area of intense daily focus for the hotel and its employees.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Atlanta.

Best Regards

Cheshire, Connecticut
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Although the room was a little small, it was clean and nice. All the staff from the bellman at the door to the front desk, and even the cleaning staff made our stay very enjoyable. The hotel is a short walking distance to Centennial Park and the Aquarium, World of Cock etc. plus some great bars and restaurants are all in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for the great feedback regarding your recent stay at the Marriott Atlanta Downtown Hotel. I am delighted that your stay was enjoyable and I really appreciate you recognizing our wonderful staff as it means a lot to us. Cleanliness is a top priority at this hotel and I will be passing your comments on to our housekeeping staff.

We hope to have the pleasure of your company on a future visit to Atlanta.

Best Regards

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed at the MAD for 3 nights. Location: Walking distance to Congress Center, CNN, Phillips etc. Didn't need a car, since all of my business was at the Congress Center. Nice Centennial(sp) park. Walking distance to resturants (Ted's) You may encounter some homeless individuals, but not obtrusive, rude or agressive. Since I didn't spend much time "hangin'" outside the hotel. (see staff) Fitness Center: about 5 treadmills, 2 bikes small circuit, 2 elipitcals; full range of dumbells. No space for floor excercises, but able to get a decent workout in. Treadmills and bikes, all with provided earplugs and individual tv monitors. Staff: Extremely professional and pleasant. Bell/Door staff was always at the door to great me when I came in; since they are outside most of the time, they help monitor the area from guests feeling unsafe. Concierge lounge was excellent. Sufficient breakfast and afternoon snacks (hot food) The staff made sure items were well stocked, they were engaging without being nagging. Free internet (i didn't use much) Rooms: Clean, standard, nothing special, but nothing offensive either. Overall: Good comfortable stay, no car needed, everything was close by. GREAT STAFF!

1 Thank TDelMar2010
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thanks for the wonderful review of the Atlanta Marriott Downtown. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. Our bell/valet staff are great and I appreciate you recognizing them. I will be passing your comments along. I'm also gald you enjoyed the club lounge and our fitness center, and that our location is in close proximity to all the downtown attractions.

I Hope to see you back in the near future.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This convention type of hotel has a wonderful and friendly staff - particularly the bell staff and team that greats you at the door. What a great way to start your day or your stay at this hotel. Unfortunately, the physical side of the hotel is somewhat lacking. The rooms are certainly clean and up to date and are therefore fine for short stays. One whole side of this hotel has rooms that overlook a very big and noisy mechanical structure. What an unfortunate design.
This hotel is a good choice for the money if you get a good rate. Definitely ask for a room on an upper floor and on the front of the hotel (away from the noise). Directly across the street from the Atlanta Mart so a good choice for buyers!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not overlook the mechanical equipment!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
MarkGallagher37, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thanks for the great feedback on your recent stay at the Atlanta Marriott Downtown Hotel. I appreciate you recognizing our great staff, specifically the bell/valet team. They do a wonderful job, and I will ensure we share your feedback with them, and give them the recognition the richly deserve. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.