“Horrible”

The Georgian Terrace Hotel
Ranked #19 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed August 2, 2006

I would never ever stay at this hotel again or recommend it to anyone (unless I truly wanted revenge on someone)! I reserved a package with the hotel on their website for my mother and I for a valentines gift and I truly regret it. Upon arrival the front desk assistants were cordial enough, and one was in training so I dismissed a few mistakes, like no introductions, welcomes, etc. After pulling my reservation up (and I guess checked me in) after handing me an envelope containg my room key we stood there for another few minutes until she looked up and said "oh we're done checking you in"...then I had to explain I ordered a package that included an in room movie, dinner, and breakfast for two! She then pulled my (I assume reservation) out of a basket of others, took those room keys out and handed me an envelope with a vague description of my package...at this point I just wanted to get in our room. No one explained the different elevators for the different portions/floors of the hotel or offered to help with our luggage, so we trekked up to our floor looking for room 485...there is no room 485...so we haul all our luggage back downstairs I wait in line for 10 mins. show her the envelope with the wrong room number...she (doesn't apologize) she says oh..that's not room 485, that's room 405...myself, my mother, and a random employee walking around on the 4th floor all read room 485! I called to make dinner reservations for as late as possible b/c we were attending a play at the fox..the latest dinner reservation they took was 7pm I believe, of course we saw people wonder in at about 10pm b/c that's how long they took to serve us our food! We called 4 times for extra pillows, never received any. The outlet in the bathroom popped and smoked when you plugged their hairdryer into it. At our breakfast the next morning, that was included in the package, the waiter had no idea about the package offer, I had to dig out my vague package description I received at check in, he takes it to another employee and says, with this package your choice of: cereal, yogurt, milk, and OJ - meanwhie people around us are eating gourmet breakfasts that smell delicious..we didn't order anything, we left instead. No employee greeted us nicely until we were litterly on our wait out the next day! When checking out, he asked if I parked in the garage I said yes...oh well that's going to be $20 (about can't remember exactly) I explained I was not informed they offered that special price, I already took a ticket at the garage for $10 more... "oh yeah...we should have told you that at check-in" well a little late don't ya think!!!!!! And to top it off I didn't even get to speak my mind to the front at check out b/c they didn't even say hello, good morning, or how was your stay with us!!! I just called the manager instead and didn't receive any compensation, just a bland apology.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank jesser
Write a ReviewReviews (1,888)

Reviewed July 31, 2006

If we hadn't spent four delightful days at the Georgian Terrace, I might have been more forgiving of a disappointing final night at the Four Seasons.

We chose the Georgian Terrace for location, convenience and price. For what we paid, I expected little else. That's why I booked the Four Seasons for our last night in Atlanta - I thought we'd welcome a bit of pampering at the end of the week.

I was wrong. The Georgian Terrace was delightful, and I regretted leaving it as soon as I saw our cramped little room at the 5-star Four Seasons.

Both hotels have excellent service. The Georgian Terrace felt less formal and more genuine; in particular, some older members of the staff - like the doorman who grinned and scolded me for opening the front door instead of waiting for him to do it - seemed like part of the place, as if they'd been there long enough to take personal pride in the hotel's traditions.

If you need room service 24 hours a day, or expect the concierge to perform some special chore at 3 a.m., choose a different hotel. The Georgian Terrace has an excellent restaurant and room service was invariably delicious, but after midnight you're on your own. To compensate, our one-bedroom suite had a full kitchen. There's a supermarket nearby, and Midtown is full of wine-and-cheese shops. But our refrigerator was usually stocked with leftovers from the generous room-service dinners, so we never got around to shopping. An unusual luxury was being able to order an extra creme brulee to keep in the 'fridge for late-night snacking.

Instead of consulting the concierge about dining and entertainment options, we asked a bellman, the hotel bartender, and a doorman where they'd take out-of-town visitors for an authentic Atlanta experience. That's how we learned about Fat Matt's for barbecue, Blind Willie's for no-frills jazz and blues, and Churchill Grounds, a jazz club directly across the street from the Georgian Terrace behind a storefront that looked deceptively like an ordinary beer bar.

When I confirmed our Orbitz reservation by calling the hotel's front desk (a good idea, since it turns out that Orbitz hadn't faxed the hotel what it needed to confirm our stay!) I asked for a room with a view. And what a view! Our 18th-floor living room and bedroom faced the downtown skyline and had a birds-eye view of neighboring structures in what is known as the Fox Theater Historic District, including the Moorish dome of the theater itself and the 1912 Italianate Ponce de Leon Apartments' ornate rooftop terrace.

As rooftops go, it would be hard to beat the one at the Georgian Terrace. The swimming pool itself is nothing fancy, but the views are dramatic, especially at night. A late-night swim can be deliciously romantic beneath a ceiling of stars, surrounded by glittering views of the downtown and midtown skylines.

If you like hotels that reflect the character of their locations - like the Drake in Chicago and the Brown Palace in Denver - and are willing to sacrifice a bit of polish if your comfort isn't compromised, try the Georgian Terrace. If you use their off-site reservations line or a travel service like Orbitz, be sure to call the hotel directly a day or two before your arrival and ask to speak to someone at the front desk. The desk clerks are the go-to folks for rooms with balconies or exceptional views. For advice about anything local, look for the doorman with the salt-and-pepper beard.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ianonymous
Reviewed July 31, 2006

Upon arrival to this hotel we were greeted like we were expected and happy to be seen. Check in service was nice and pleasent. Room was large, i mean large. I never have been in a hotel where the rooms have a washer and dryer, stove, dish washer and fridge. Must have been an apartment complex once turned into a hotel. Good for people that is going to have a party in the rooms which we found out is allowed unlike other hotels, it is not allowed. The housekeeping cleaning staff were more than friendly mainly an older lady name which i found to be interresting, Betty Beaver. She was the greatest warm personal person to talk with, my wife and myself did not want her to leave our company but her job called for her to leave. Betty you are such a beautiful spirited person, never loose your love for people that you have shown us. When we were walking out our room the next day on sunday to go to the peidmont park we heard so much about we saw another housekeeper walking by appearing to have been crying so we asked her is there anything we can do for her, she said no thanks and thank you anyway. Her id stated it was Terry, as she was walking away past us we did see another lady with an accent walking fast toward her with a mean look on her face telling Terry she needed to see her in her office. must have been a manager by the way she was walking toward the housekeeper. So it wasn't our business, we stopped around the corner to listen, only to hear a rude remark coming from the manager saying she isn't here to baby sit and doesn't care about the tears. What kind of a manager is this person. Other than this the stay was great and Betty Beaver we hope you stay the way you are. from Steve and Marsha

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank donald_da_sweet
Reviewed July 21, 2006

I stayed at this hotel last year for my birthday. I wanted to get away to one of my favorite cities for a weekend of luxury & unwind from the stress of work & "life." I found this hotel through Travelociy, but booked directly from their website. I was smitten from the start - the fact that it was "old and grand" appealed to me immediatly. I enjoy the finer things in life, but love finding & getting them at a bargain! I decided to bite the bullet & spend the $250/night for this. My expectations were HIGH. We got into town early Saturday morning & rode down Peachtree to find out where it was, then headed off to the malls-n-such. I was impressed with the exterior, and seeing the bellhops attending to the cars that pulled up. After spending several hours walking around Lenox Square & Phipps place, it was time to return to the hotel. The initial service was excellent (although I notice little things @ hotels, like tarnished luggage carts), and the lobby & reception areas were BEAUTIFUL! "Perfect" I thought to myself. I got my keycard and headed up to the 9th floor. I was so excited to open the door to my "luxury" room I could hardly wait. Plus I was pooped!! My spirits dropped immediatly. My buddy & I started inspecting things & it was a bit of a drag. Yeah, it makes for a nice PHOTO, but that's it. The living room furniture was ok, but it was that very tight, stiff furniture like you'd find in a thrift store - VERY dated (not "period," just old). The bed was ok, but nothing like advertised/described. Comfy yes, but nothing to write home to mom about. Bathrooms rate very high on my priority list - this one FAILED - and miserably. Mildew on tile is discusting to me - WHY IN THE WORLD ISN'T THAT STUFF ATTENDED TO??? I MEAN YOU CAN'T MISS IT!! I wouldn't lay my washcloth on the ledge that's built in. There's a problem if your patrons don't feel comfortable taking a shower or walking barefoot on your floors. The washer/dryer was enticing until we tried to use it! We left with a bag of wet clothes because the dryer would only work for 5 minutes at a time & only on the low setting. Not to mention that the units HAD to be at LEAST 20 years old!! That's such a rip in my opinion - why would you even put those in there?? Sad thing is, is that I told my friend it felt more like a "days inn" when you really examined things, and come to find out IT USED TO BE!! Originally it was an apt bldg, then a Days Inn, now the GT!! I despise Days Inn - I think that's one of the worst hotel chains around (unless it's brand new), and to find out THAT's what the GT used to be. Sad. The kitchen reeeeeally needs an update - very small, but it IS a hotel, so one shouldn't be looking for Viking ranges & Sub Zero 'fridges, with room for a party! The appliances were at least 15-20yrs old too - I think they must have purchased them from the same thrift store basement.

I mailed a letter to the manager - all I got was a "sorry" letter and an offer for a free meal at their on-site restaurant. WHAT??...hello, I'm in Charlotte....4hrs away...guess I'll just hop in the car & stop by!

BTW: The on-site restaurant IS really good. A free full breakfast was included as part of the weekend package, and it was great, and in a beautiful atmosphere! Again, the beautiful atmosphere is because it's one of the lower-level public spaces.

All-in-all, not at all worth the money. Maybe the larger, much higher priced suites are better, but this was a King Suite with no view other than the corner of a drug store & the wall from the other half of the hotel. You could also see in our room from the "open-air" hallways, or from the rooms across from us! Niiiice.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ddbodine
Reviewed July 20, 2006

My husband and I are natives of Atlanta but decided to book a suite overnight for Valentines Day. We got a great rate through a special on the hotel's website- $149 for a large suite and breakfast the next morning (either room service or in the hotel's restaurant) was included.

The room was enormous- we have done a lot of travel and have never stayed in such a large suite.

It was very quiet, and the lobby was impressive. We walked around and explored at the ballrooms (which were beautiful- something like that would make for an amazing wedding reception) and the roof-top pool was nice (and freezing, since it was February) looking.

The staff was not friendly, but we didn't have any problems so we didn't have to deal with them anyway.

The location is amazing! Right across from the Fox and near some great restaurants. The building itself is a historic little part of Atlanta and beautiful.

The room itself was definitely old- things were not kept up as nice as they could have been. Old wallpaper in our room's kitchen, uncomfortable bed, and stains on the carpet. It had the same feel as a Comfort Inn might have, just dressed up in a nice package. Everything in the room just felt old.

I probably would not stay here again if I even for a visit back to Atlanta, but it could've been worse.

1  Thank atlanta_trav
A TripAdvisor Member
alabama
Reviewed July 3, 2006

We had a "girls weekend" originally planned for 2 adults and one child. We then added my sister & her granddaughter at the last minute. The staff assured us that the 2 bedroom suite we had booked would give us plenty of room, but I was still concerned that it would be too small. Then we saw it & were thrilled. We had 2 bedrooms, 2 baths & another small room with a pull out sofa. In addition there was a large living/dining room, a full kitchen & washer & dryer. Our room overlooked Peachtree St., the Fox Theater & the hotel terrace. But the best part was the wonderful pool on the roof of the hotel, the views are fabulous!
We were happy with room service & the hotel restaurant & loved to eat out on the terrace & watch the people go by. I would love to go back again. We were having so much fun we stayed an extra night. My only problem is the $25.00 per night parking fee, I would like for that to be included in the cost of the room. The hotel is an older one so there are a few places where it's worn & needs updating, but Ilike to think of that as part of the character of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006
Reviewed June 27, 2006

the hotel appears to be an older converted apt. building complex, the rooms are very spacious but the furniture is a bit run down. we had a problem with our first room with the sink not working and the drain not working. also, there was paint all over the wallpaper like Helen Keller painted there or something, they moved us with no problem. the next room was better but still had a real crappy couch, and the tv's are very dated also, but except RCA inputs.
we ordered room service in the morning and it was just ok. we noticed the delivery guy
eyeing up our room which made us a bit nervous. I left that day but my friend stayed 2 more days for buisness and now wished he left the same day. he awoke on his third day to go out for coffee and returned only to relize his lap top and camera were both stolen while he was gone. they were nice enough to take his keys out of the lap top case and leave them on the table, nothing like an honest theif. there are no safe's in the rooms which I will never stay at another place that doesn't have a safe.
on the bright side if your going to the FOX THEATER this is the place to stay, it is right across the street. you could literally have a huge party in the 2 bedroom suites which go for about 200.00 and could hold about 20 people easily. also, they advertise that their rooms are sound proof so bring a HUGE STEREO. you will have no problem with security because there is very little secure about this place.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business