“Grande old dame falling apart”

The Georgian Terrace Hotel
Ranked #18 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I booked this hotel to try a new Atlanta midtown hotel. From the pics and review thought it would be worth a try. I was here for less than 24 hours so this review is based solely on the room conditions. The staff seemed perfectly nice, but I am suspicious that when checking in I was told I had been upgraded. Woohoo!...right?! The room I was given was a suite, huge. But (key word) it was like visiting an old, poorly appointed, run down hotel from years - 30 at least - past.
The bathroom had a plastic covered bath/ shower. The pipes groaned so loud I thought the ceiling may fall in. The wallpaper was covered in paint spatters and one of the cabinet doors was broken off of its hinge. Everything was dingy, outdated, of poor quality and depressing. The beds were not bad, however....
If this was an upgrade I would hate to see the other room.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Karen A
GeorgianTerraceRep, Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and suggestions with our team here at the Georgian Terrace. Because we are a historic property, we rely heavily on guests like you to help us determine the improvements we'll be making to the property during renovation periods. We have undergone a few so far, and will continue with improvements in various spaces in the future. That said, we are definitely always working to better the amenities and cultivate a more positive experience for our visitors. The suggested adjustments have been noted and added to our renovations.
We hope that you'll be willing to come back for another visit, and see that your recommendations have been applied! Thank you again; we would love to see you for a return trip.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,889)

Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife & I took in a Saturday night show at the Fox and stayed here for our anniversary. We live about an hour northeast of the city, but didn't want to spend our night out driving. Our stay couldn't have been nicer! I began my reservation online, but had to finish over the phone with the Georgian Terrace staff because the website was a little confusing. I'd strongly recommend talking with a reservation specialist too. During my conversation I discovered:
There 3 different king/queen suites.
The highest priced one was the only one that has been renovated (modernized decorum & eliminate the kitchenette).
There was also the chance that the bed would be 2 queens; they could not guarantee the bed size, but would "put in my preference for a king".
I also explained it was an anniversary celebration and I'd like a room with a good view.
I called back Saturday morning of our stay to check the status; again I requested a king. This time she confirmed they had one available but it was on the 2nd floor (they also interpreted my earlier "room with a view" request as a high floor. I told her the 2nd floor was fine if we were assured of the larger bed. Our arrival was great, we pulled in to the valet parking, unloaded, and checked in quickly. There were a lot of guests there (others there for the Fox show that night plus a large wedding party). This produced a ridiculous delay with elevator service. Luckily, our room was on the 2nd floor, so we took the stairs.
Our room was AWESOME! 2 room suite with a large living room with sofa, desk, etc. Bedroom was nice sized with 2 large, separate closets. The bathroom was nice, but did not have a tub (if that matters). Decorations were nice, modern, very clean. The best part though? Our bedroom & living room looked out onto Peachtree St. and directly across from the Fox. At light with the marquee lit up was so cool!
Service was great, hotel was a great find. Great blend of modern service & amenities with old Atlanta architecture.
Parking was $25 for self or $30 for valet each day. Even with $30 parking, that awesome room with the view was $190/night with a special Amex discount (on their website, or ask when you call).
Our quick trip into the city was great as the hotel, dinner (Baraonda, see separate review), drinks after the show at the hotel's underground bar (Proof & Provision, see separate review), brunch Sunday morning (Einstein's on Juniper, see separate review) were ALL killer choices.

So to recap....if you're going to the Fox for a show and would like to stay over?
Get a room at the Georgian Terrace, walk a block to Baraonda for a great dinner, walk a block back to the Fox for the show, go for drinks/nightcap at Proof & Provision under the Georgian Terrace, sleep, have Sunday brunch at Einstein's on Juniper (5 minute drive on your way out).

Room Tip: See tips above for calling reservation specialist. We had no issue with street noise from our 2nd f...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ebsimp
GeorgianTerraceRep, Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

We really appreciate your nice review of the Georgian Terrace! Your thorough compliments and detailed comments on the condition of the property give other readers a great visual for imagining what a stay would be like here. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back next time you travel to Atlanta, and thank you again for the kind words!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I booked the room in hopes of finding a reasonable nice hotel to stay in Midtown. The outside of the hotel is a beautiful old building but the inside was absolutely terrible. The room was large but had wallpaper peeling off. There was no full length mirror. It was a very uncomfortable stay and I will not be returning.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Wallis T
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

A charming downtown hotel that has been thoroughly freshened, the
Georgian terrace is great for business travelers or a romantic weekend. The onsite restaurant is terrific and has a very reasonable theater special on nights when there is an event at the Fox. We enjoyed a very comfortable mini-suite with a nice living/work room, a large nice bath and a great corner bedroom with a view of downtown. Even though the hotel was completely booked due to a convention, our service was excellent and our room was perfectly prepared. We even got a free upgrade because of the convention. We had a great night's sleep on a very comfortable bed. A wonderful pre-show dinner and a perfectly convenient location. We have been before and will return again. There were some insignificant problems caused by a remodel of the main elevators but that should be finished soon. There is also a good business center, fitness center and roof-top pool. Convenient for midtown, little five points, and all downtown attractions. Parking is expensive, but that is the reality in Atlanta. We think Livingston is a fine dining bargain in Atlanta and the bar and terrace are perfect for pre or post theater drinks and dinner or heavy hors d'oeuvres.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 23, 2013

While this hotel is beautiful on the outside, the inside leaves a LOT to be desired. The elevators have not been fixed in well over a year. You are requested to use the 1 public elevator, or go to the service elevator. It is not beneath me to do that, so I did most of the time. but come on... fix the darn elevator.

My room was just ok. It was kinda small for what I was told. My view was of a brick wall and windows of other hotel rooms in the hotel itself. The noise was TERRIBLE. Constant construction starting at 6am in the morning, and emergency vehicles could easily wake you all through the night since the windows were paper thin. PS - I was on the 8th floor.

My bed sagged quite a bit in the middle. Disappointing for what I had paid.

The room service (which I ordered 3 times) was just ok. Don't bother with the salmon, as it is very small and very dry. The Angus burger was good, and so was the chicken sandwich. Even when I called downstairs and asked abou the pork chop, the person said.. .the chop is very thin and not worth the price. Eeeks.. even the hotel knows I won't like it.

Other than that..the people were extremely friendly and the bar is very nice. It is right accross from the FOX Theater, but that did not make it worth it to me.

I won't be staying here even again.

Room Tip: You never know what room you will get as they assign it based on when you come to the hotel. I would...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank davidsh
GeorgianTerraceRep, Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to communicate to us why our service did not meet your expectations. We are installing a new elevator so that's why it was only one working at the time of your stay. We have every desire to address the areas that we fell short and prevent such service failures reoccurring in the future. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience you were caused. Again we highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

So I really like this hotel. Great location. A little trouble at check-in but nothing 5 mins couldn't resolve. The rooms are large, quiet and comfortable. Only one elevator in service. Sign says that there is a modernization effort underway but it makes for a tough situation.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stay here every time we attend The Fox Theater. It is located right across the street. Rooms are always spacious and clean. Beds are always very comfortable. This time when we opened our door, there was a couple already in the room. Went back to the front desk, told the clerk what happened, he apologized, assigned us to another room AND gave us two tickets for complimentary breakfast (a $30 value) in The Livingston Restaurant for the next morning. I was disappointed in the service we received for breakfast. We saw our waiter when he took our order and when he gave us the check. We got other waiters to refill our coffee cups. This is a first class hotel. Hotel staff is always very friendly and accommodating. I will definitely return to this hotel, but probably won't eat here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
GeorgianTerraceRep, Guest Relations Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013