“Surprising Experience”

The Georgian Terrace Hotel
Ranked #19 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I booked this hotel in advance to take advantage of the discounted rates. I had some initial reservations about the staff after calling a couple of times to speak with them about questions I had. The phone staff reservation, front desk perhaps needs a bit more training. However, they made up for this initial impression because of the following:
a) I received a call from the hotel on my arrival day, welcoming to to Atlanta and encouraging me to call if I had any issues making it to the hotel safely.
b) I was greeted professionally and friendly my the front desk manager. I also received an immediate upgrade to a renovated suite (all because I signed up for iprefer, it was free)
c) my room faced the famous Fox Theatre and was really nice.
d) I received a welcome letter and fruit basket, compliments of the hotel.

This is all 5 star treatment in my opinion. I have never had a hotel call me before arrival welcoming me to the city and offering assistance if I needed it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sspc
GeorgianTerraceRep, Guest Relations Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

We really appreciate your nice review of the Georgian Terrace! Your thorough compliments and detailed comments on the condition of the property give other readers a great visual for imagining what a stay would be like here. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back next time you travel to Atlanta, and thank you again for the kind words!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,873)

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I've stayed here a number of times - I love the location as I do not care for Buckhead, but some of the rooms leave quite a bit to be desired. They also need to put up curtains that will close in the rooms that face Peachtree to block out the street lights.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Georgian Terrace Hotel is a Midtown landmark right across from the historic Fox Theater. Completed in 1911 in the Beaux-Arts style (meaning the South's version of a Parisian hotel,) it has a famous client list, and has toasted Atlanta society for over 100 years.

Our 15th-floor suite consisted of a full kitchen, dining room, living room, two bedrooms with deluxe double beds and linens, and a bath. The view was breath-taking, customer service outstanding, and location near the North Avenue MARTA station, was truly convenient. A seasonal roof-top pool with abundant seating is a great place to watch the sunset, and there is a full gym on the 18th floor. The only issue, and it was a truly tiny temporary one, is the "modernization" of one elevator led to long waits.

Room Tip: The room was very quiet. I'd opt for higher floors for a better view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Vacationed here in September 2012 for 3 nights. The location is unbeatable, the hotel itself is opulent , and very pretty. Accommodations were excellent. Washer and dryer in room, two separate bedrooms, eat in kitchen, and nice living area. The elevators at that time were on the slow side. We took the service elevator a few times, and there was a wedding party so that made the elevators a considerable issue. The staff are all very friendly, and we had breakfast at the cafe every morning. How could we not? The weather was beautiful at that time, and the streetscape was a great view. Hotel is in walking distance to the train station, and of course, the theater is across the street, Fox Theater. The only real bother was the parking garage is pricey, and as a guest, I thought that the charge would be lower or waived. That was a bummer since we rented a car, and wanted to park it at or near the hotel. The streets are busy in the area so street parking is either illegal or unavailable. And yes, in Identity Thief, the movie there are scenes from the hotel which made me excited to check imdb and double check, yes the film was filmed in Atlanta.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I honestly cannot figure out where some of these other people stayed. We had the best stay ever at the Georgian Terrace. First off, staff was exceedingly nice and helpful. They open doors, rush to help with luggage. Front desk provided an umbrella for the rain, and a toothbrush for my colleague.

We were staying for a government conference, and I expected nothing more than a typical hotel room for the per diem rate. Instead, we found ourselves in a 2 bedroom suite with kitchen and washer/dryer in the bathroom. We had 2 flat screen tvs, and comfortable furniture. I was also surprised to find that included with the room were vouchers for breakfast. Up to $15 for each breakfast, per person at the Livingston. And it was good breakfast.

There was only 1 guest elevator working, but it was not slow at all! I have stayed in bigger hotels with banks of elevators and waited much longer. Only once did we opt for the service elevator after waiting a bit.

The grand elegance of the hotel is amazing. All the marble and detailing. If you are a history buff or architecture buff, this is the hotel for you! It's close to Mary Mac's Tea Room which is a must eat, and just a block or so from the MARTA which made it easy to get to our conference downtown.

When it was time to check out, we did not want to leave. While I didn't necessarily love Atlanta, if I ever travel there again, I will stay at the Georgian Terrace!

Room Tip: The suites are definitely worth it!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank tysajayne
GeorgianTerraceRep, Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind Trip Advisor review. Our team here at the Georgian Terrace works hard to keep guests like you happy. I'll definitely pass along your compliments and we look forward to your next stay with us when you return to Atlanta. Thank you again very much!

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights recently at the Georgian Terrace Hotel in Midtown Atlanta. Our experience was very good. This is a Classic Southern Charm Hotel with so much history to it. We had only read about the Hotel and was looking for a Historic Hotel with Southern Charm and we found it at the Terrace. The lady at the front desk that checked us in was more than helpful. Not sure her name, my wife talked to her more than me, she said it was Linda but not 100% sure. She was an older lady with beautiful white/gray hair and went above and beyond to help us with restuarants and places to see. I remember her telling us that she was born and raised in Georgia and it showed. She was filled with Southern charm and Hospitality. Over all, we were very happy with our room and she even called us after check in to make sure we liked the room. A very pleasant stay, and great customer service. We will be back again and spread the word. Thank you Georgian Terrace for a great time in your city!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

We really appreciate your nice review of the Georgian Terrace! Your thorough compliments and detailed comments on the condition of the property give other readers a great visual for imagining what a stay would be like here. Ms. Linda will be glad to hear of the high praise you gave to her. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back next time you travel to Atlanta, and thank you again for the kind words!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I am on an extended stay for business in Atlanta and my company got a group contract with this hotel. So, now our group is compelled to stay here to meet the terms of the contract. The rooms are dingy. The couch in the living room is sunken in the middle. When I first got here, the oven in the kitchen wouldn't heat up. When I asked them to fix it, they did. The repair guy left black drag marks on the tile floor where he apparently pulled out the oven to fix it. For extended stay groups, they advertise that they provide kitchen utensils. It is so bare as to almost be laughable.

The garbage disposal sounds like a broken airplane when I use it. The floors and tiles are just a bit dilapidated. One of the main elevators is under construction for the duration of the stay making it slow to catch an elevator. There is a foyer to walk through to get to and from the parking garage. Many times the hotel blocks that off for events requiring you to walk around the hotel to get to the parking garage.

I just had a problem with one of the channels on the TV. So, I called the front desk and said that Channel 2 had just gone out. The reception said, "Well, was it working in the first place?" In addition, the internet connection in the hotel is so slow that it is almost a waste of time to use it.

The weight room isn't too bad for a hotel, but it's nothing to write home about. Overall, a very disappointing stay. The staff can be hit or miss. Sometimes they are great and sometimes they're snotty like the young lady to whom I just spoke.

The bellmen are great. That's the only redeeming factor.

Room Tip: If you are silly enough to stay here, try to get a room on the courtyard in back because the front r...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank oceansnmountains

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and suggestions with our team here at the Georgian Terrace. Because we are a historic property, we rely heavily on guests like you to help us determine the improvements we'll be making to the property during renovation periods. We have undergone a few so far, and will continue with improvements in various spaces in the future. The elevator unfortunately are one of the renovations that we are under going at this time.That said, we are definitely always working to better the amenities and cultivate a more positive experience for our visitors.

We hope that you'll be willing to come back for another visit, and see that your recommendations have been applied! Thank you again; we would love to see you for a return trip.