“great weekend getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Durham, North Carolina
“great weekend getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Georgian Terrace for 2 nights in July 2012 and had a great time! It's a little too far away from the Aquarium and the World of Coke to walk, but close enough to be very convenient. We found the bar in the basement (Proof and Provision) on the first night and were very pleasantly surprised by the beer selection and the food quality. We also ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant (Livingston) and it was excellent, though pricey. The room was very clean and exactly as advertised. The walls were a bit thin and I could hear doors shutting and showers in the adjoining rooms, but I think that's the case everywhere especially given the age of the building. I hate that it was raining and we didn't get a chance to use the rooftop for more than 5 minutes because it was beautiful!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Northern Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel is in a convenient location and the staff is very friendly but... it takes a long time to get your car from valet parking, the elevators are extremely slow, we've been there three times and each time there has been a wedding or very large, loud party, service in the restaurant is slow but the food is good and, oddly, you have to go outside to get to the coffee shop so lots of guests don't even know it's there. The hotel is old and feels it, but the rooms were clean and beds comfortable. If possible, get a room with a separate tv/sitting area. This is especially nice if one person gets up much earlier than the other.

Room Tip: Higher floors and those far from the elevator are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel offers such a great option for anyone who wants to experience the best of Atlanta.I;ve lived in Atlanta for years and been to weddings and meetings at the hotel, but it wasn't until I stayed there for two weeks during a home renovation that I could really appreciate what this hotel has to offer (besides the best midtown location, right across from the Fox Theater!). It's historic charm combined with great service and what I would consider one of the best restaurants and bars in Atlanta--Livingstons. We had a 2 bedroom suite, that had a full kitchen and an addition study. Honestly, we were so comfortable living there that we were in no rush to move back home. There are a number of nice hotels in Atlanta, but none offer the combination of history, charm, comfort, convenience, good restaurant and nightlife options of the Georgian Terrace.

Room Tip: There is an older and newer section for rooms, we had one in the newer tower and moved to a larger s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael S
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed there with my family in July 2012. Terrible experience with front desk staff and reservations.

Booked the room well in advance but needed to make the arrival one day early. I called the reservations line and was told that they could accommodate it but at higher rate. I agreed and proceeded to the property. I arrived and the reservation had been updated! The front desk staff was all gone and only security guard there who did not know the procedure. We were put in a room that was about 200 sq ft for the night until our original check date could be honored.

Second issue: We changed rooms but front desk wanted to check out of that room and separate credit card (CC) charge before moving to another room. I told them you have the CC on file so just charge it when I get back to the hotel (working downtown at the time of call). They said okay but proceeded to harass my teenage daughter with calls and beating on the door to get a photocopy of the CC for the new room. This was outrageous. When I arrived back at the hotel after work, I provided the same CC that I provided the previous night. They were out of line for harassing my daughter to get a CC that they had the night prior.

I was assured that the stay would be free and many apologies by the GM. Dinner was offered and other items to make up for the craziness earlier. A month later, I see all the charges on my CC that was promised to be complimentary!!! Disputing the charges of course but this was worst stay ever. I travel 50% of the year and never had this bad of an experience.

Very unprofessional staff with policies showing they have a lot of fraudulent guests an unprofessional clients. Avoid if you are professional traveling on business and need a professional atmosphere. Don't stay here if you are traveling with family either. Just don't stay here for any reason would be my advice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank David R
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I selected this hotel because of the option of having a suite with two bedrooms and a kitchenette for my family of four adults (our kids are college students). Unfortunately, when we arrived, we were told we could not get the room we reserved because there was "a leak" in the room, but they were putting us in "an upgraded room," which turned out to be a room with one king bed and no fridge or microwave. While they had given us a small rollaway bed, this was not enough given that our reservation said 4 people, and 3 of them were adults over 6' tall. We could understand that there may have been no other room to give us, given that it was a holiday weekend and there were several conventions in town. But it bothered us that the hotel refused to give us a break on the rate given the lack of amenities in the room.

The king room was nice as far as decor, and looked like it had been recently updated. And the bathroom and the shower were bigger than average. But we had to request another rollaway bed so all four had a place to sleep. Now, to their credit, they did fix the leak by the 2nd day, and moved our luggage while we were out during the day. The furnishings in the two bedroom suite were not as modern as the prior room, but were still fairly nice. It is important to know that the hotel apparently does not provide dishes or utensils without an additional fee. Since I read about this on a review, I knew to bring some disposable ones from home. There was a washer and dryer in the suite, but we didn't use it.

The hotel has some interesting historical and architectural features. We had a nice view from the windows in our room. But as other reviewers have noted, there is an issue with limited elevators. We were fortunate in not having a big problem with this; we must have been going in and out at non-peak times.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed at the Georgian Terrace for 3 nights in early October, 2012, for a work conference. The hotel is beautiful, historic, and modernized. However, this hotel is not a 5-star, nor a 4-star hotel. I think it could get to 4 stars with a bit more attention to detail and if they fix/upgrade the darn elevators.

So let’s start with the elevators. They suck! There are two for the entire hotel, which has about 25 floors. It can easily be a 10-minute wait, either direction. I was on the 2nd floor and thought, I can just use the stairs. Wrong. Stairwells allow for egress, but are locked so no one can use them to go up. So for one floor, had to use the elevator. I did mention this issue at the front desk and the reaction I got was a fast “we’re working on them”, with a tone that was like “I hear this every day from every person.” Really it’s a major which needs to be fixed ASAP.

I was placed in one of the one-bedroom suites, which on the surface was lovely…it was 850 square feet, with a full kitchen and dining area, and even full size washer and dryer. The AC worked incredibly well and was very quiet. The housekeeping is what I wasn’t too impressed with. On arrival, the room smelled like stale smoke. We complained and they offered to “freshen it up” so this was obviously not a surprise, even though it was supposedly always a non-smoking room. The fridge in our kitchen had a leak which we reported but continued all three days. The towel hoop in the bathroom was not secured to the wall and fell off continuously. We left it on the floor the morning of our 2nd day and they just loosely placed it back on the wall, so it still pulled right off. They also forgot the bath mat the 2nd day and took a small shampoo bottle that was mine (and different from the hotel brand) and not empty. The last day, the bed sheet was placed on the bed inside out…not sure if they just flip after two days on same sheets, but it’s not exactly comfortable sleeping on a sheet seams up. I mentioned all of these things again at checkout and I don’t think the clerk took note of anything, or really cared. These issues prevent this hotel from being rated anything higher than a 3-star hotel, in my opinion.

Pluses: great location across from the Fox Theater in midtown; not far from Marta; good café in hotel (Café Mims, for coffee, tea, and very good breakfast sandwiches), and the conference facilities were also very nice. The hotel has so much potential if the service and housekeeping improves. And they upgrade or add an elevator.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cjdeperro
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Georgian Terrace is a beautiful building with superb staff. My room was very small, giving the feel of a European hotel (to go along with the architecture) but was perfect for my needs on this particular trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business